Good DIY aluminium profile sim rig instructions?

Bez

All the gear, no idea...
are there any go to/tried and tested instructions for DIY projects using aluminium profile, I've found a couple but wondered if there was a definitive design people use.

Edit: or a good premade aluminium profile rig on sale?

Hey Guys,

Thanks for making this topic, really helped me. Now, Is there any chance someone could come up with a project for inverting V2 Pedals? My idea is to invert only Brake & Clutch. Could you also tell me a good software to try to do this as I am really bad with CAD tools?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I have just finnished building a rig using Motedis, I designed it myself and then just ordered all the parts precut from them. Very good service and picing. The rig without the seat and the vesa mounts for the monitors (the actual bracket that screws onto the monitor) was just about €520 incl. shipping.

12.jpg

Parts list: http://kens-corner.com/rig/Parts_list.txt

Google SketchUp Model (I will update to latest model tonight): https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u2f7e394c-3dab-450e-b183-7e185a490326
Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Hi,
That is really nice, I just don't have that kind of skill set, I certainly admire people who can do this.
I was looking at the keyboard and mouse trays, did you make them yourself?, I didn't see them on the list.

Upvote 0
I have just finnished building a rig using Motedis, I designed it myself and then just ordered all the parts precut from them. Very good service and picing. The rig without the seat and the vesa mounts for the monitors (the actual bracket that screws onto the monitor) was just about €520 incl. shipping.

12.jpg

Parts list: http://kens-corner.com/rig/Parts_list.txt

Google SketchUp Model (I will update to latest model tonight): https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=u2f7e394c-3dab-450e-b183-7e185a490326
Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Hi Kenneth,

Hope you don't mind some questions after such a long time and have time to answer them.

I very much like your design. Especially for integrating the monitors in the setup (one set of stands used for wheel and monitors. I have two question how that works out. Is the rig stable enough for the screens not to shake? And is the table for the wheel stable / rigid enough?

The second question regards the use of 90x45 for the base. Would you use that again, or do you think 45x45 should suffice? I see Motedis uses 45x45 for the base.

On 3D warehouse, I also found newer versions (v2 and 3) of your design. Main difference seems to be elevated seat and pedals. What is you reason for elevating both? Is seems like both cancel each other out. Was lowering the steering wheel not an option?
I figured I would prefer the pedals to be upside down. Is there a reason you did not. Do you think your rig can be adjusted to support that?
Last question: on the 350 and 215 45x45 profiles, you mentioned M12 machining. What is that? Is that something you asked Motedis to do for you?

Many thanks for your help!

Upvote 0
Generally speaking you don't need a drill, but since you didn't specify more than "this sort of thing" it's kinda hard to know for sure :) On the other hand, aluminium is quite "soft" and easy to work so it doesn't require the most powerful drill out there.

Upvote 0
looking to go with something like this. wanted to split it in 2 for storage & its pretty compact, maybe a bit on the narrow size. Anyone see any issues, not sure if i went over the top with brackets. No idea how i add the seats & stuff but i might just order this & get on with it.
Main concern is height of wheel, seat & pedals in relation to each other & width in terms of mounting a seat.
rig.jpg

Upvote 0
Thanks for the plans, I have been modifying it using May Cad and I really like what you have done on the rig.

Specifically the 1400mm length is the most important as it could fit in my room. Other plans at 1600mm was simply to long.

I'm just in the process of finalizing the plans and will build the rig shortly. Although I won't go triple screen :)

Because of the lack some joints where I live I had to rely almost on simple brackets only.

I also decided on 40x40 as it was a really common available size.

I'm doing my work log here if anyone is interested: http://01nomad.com/sim-racing/building-a-sim-rig-planning

qR7Z2Ko.png

I have also attached my maycad file, just rename the extension to .scene!

Attachments

• Sim Rig Old.txt
    5.7 KB · Views: 338
Upvote 0
Anyone able to recommend good tutorial "beginner" videos for 8020 based software?
Whats the easiest or best to get to grips with?

Its really really simple to use maycad, no need to study it.

the program does come with "tutorial" but it shouldn't be so hard to figure out. I've never touch CAD like software before and I found it super easy to use.

Upvote 0
Anyone able to recommend good tutorial "beginner" videos for 8020 based software?
Whats the easiest or best to get to grips with?

Total noob with this stuff... :unsure:
sketchup is easy to use too.. there are lots of user uploads of relevant components including several by myself.. There are also lots of rendering choices..

it's a great tool and lots of fun!

here's a couple i did in sketchup..

Untitled2_zps3oslwafk.jpg
Screen%20Shot%202016-09-02%20at%2012.35.51%20pm_zps8cgadgpa.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi, here is my custom profile rig and some wip from mounting it all together:

In the computer it was done like this:
AssemblySimRig1.png

Some adjustments is beeing done, but it soon done
_20170826_003410.JPG

I'll post some more and better pics when it is all done :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back