good and bad weather

Misc good and bad weather 3.3

Login or Register an account to download this content
I don't use VR, the PP filter should work the same in SP and MP.
What's different are the weathers, online the server host chooses a weather, but since you can't be sure if everybody has gbw I guess 99%+ of all servers run the default Kunos weathers.

What makes it better are the vanilla sets that Peter created.
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/gbw-vanilla-sets.15023/

Make a backup of the original files that will be overwritten and then install a vanilla set.
You can only use one at a time, so try them and pick which you like best.
I use set no. 5 'unpredictable'.

@schnipp @Peter Boese
may I ask what are the differences between the Vanilla Sets and the default replacements from the normal gbW mod?
Are the Vanilla Sets just the gbW mod without the custom weathers?

I ask because you already replace the default kunos weathers with gbW if I'm right :cautious::)

http://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/i...-and-bad-conditions.34701/page-22#post-874406

And if you don't have an account there:
schnipp said:
Maybe a dumb question, I just wanted to install the Vanilla Set and gbW 2.9 with JSGME.
I noticed that both the Vanilla Set and gbW contain 'content/texture/clouds' with cloud1C.dds ... cloud7C.dds

Can these be installed together or how does it work?

Or is it either running the Vanilla Set or the clouds contained with GBW 2.9?

peter boese said:
Install gbW 2.9 and then vanilla sets. Jsgme will block gbW.

Or delete the cloud textures from gbW 2.9 in the MOD folder in content/texture/clouds and delete the standard weathers in the MOD folder content/weather (1 - 7). Then install gbW 2.9 and then vanilla sets. Then nothing is blocked.

The textures and weathers of vanilla set "realistic" are the same in gbW 2.9.../

So gbw vanilla 'realistic' is the same as the provided ones in GBW that replace the standard Kunos weathers.

@schnipp @Peter Boese
may I ask what are the differences between the Vanilla Sets and the default replacements from the normal gbW mod?
Are the Vanilla Sets just the gbW mod without the custom weathers?

I ask because you already replace the default kunos weathers with gbW if I'm right :cautious::)
The gbW mod is a huge collection of custom weather with custom clouds for every single weather. So for this you will need Content Manager, which manages the coping of the cloud textures. This for now is not compatible with online racing. Thats why i made a set of weather and textures to replace the default weather to get a compatibility to the vanilla assetto corsa. This are the default weather in gbW mod. For the version 3.2 i will change the default set in gbW.

"gbW Vanilla sets" is for people who race primarily online. It only has 5 sets of default weather, so fully compatible with online racing. With JSGME it is very easy to activate and deactivate the weather sets, only 1 set can be active.

Maybe there is a new feature in Content Manager in the near future, then all weather of gbW could be used online.

The gbW mod is a huge collection of custom weather with custom clouds for every single weather. So for this you will need Content Manager, which manages the coping of the cloud textures. This for now is not compatible with online racing. Thats why i made a set of weather and textures to replace the default weather to get a compatibility to the vanilla assetto corsa. This are the default weather in gbW mod. For the version 3.2 i will change the default set in gbW.

"gbW Vanilla sets" is for people who race primarily online. It only has 5 sets of default weather, so fully compatible with online racing. With JSGME it is very easy to activate and deactivate the weather sets, only 1 set can be active.

Maybe there is a new feature in Content Manager in the near future, then all weather of gbW could be used online.
So thats why it looked so crappy in my MP sessions, and was wondering why they were looking great otherwise when testing in SP :) I simply removed reshade files since I use VR and thought that was it. So VR users in MP should use the Vanilla set.

Okay now I want to understand it completely :p
So you have the AC default weathers. 7 weathers.
the normal gbW 3.1 mod adds new cloud textures AND a lot of weathers for single player.
But it modifies the 7 AC weathers too, right?

The Vanilla sets now only adds the clouds and only modifies the 7 AC weathers. So it's pretty much only a part of the normal gbW mod BUT has this "part" in 5 different versions.

I mainly drive online (who wonders when I host club events :laugh:) and I only have the normal gbW 3.1 installed for now. In my eyes the weathers already changed, not that dramatically as the custom weathers in single player of course!

Did I understand it? If you don't wanna waste time on more in depth explanation don't bother, I accept it :)
If not: will the vanilla sets add anything important? From Schnipp's post I understood that I already use "one of the sets from the Vanilla mod" :cautious:

The default weather's use the textures 'cloud1C.dds' to 'cloud7C.dds' in \content\texture\clouds\.
These are the textures from which the clouds of the KS weathers are drawn from.

How the clouds are drawn is defined 'colorCurves.ini' and 'weather.ini' in \content\weather\*selected KS weather*\.

GBW in combination with CM replaces the textures 'cloud1C.dds' to 'cloud7C.dds' every time you use a gbw weather with the textures Peter created for that specific weather and after the session reverts back to the default textures.
That's the reason GBW weathers are so much different to the default weathers.
But CM doesn't get the necessary informations in the online lobby to do such a thing for MP.

Here comes gbw vanilla into play.
This replaces the 'cloud1C.dds' to 'cloud7C.dds' plus 'colorCurves.ini' and 'weather.ini' for the default weathers.
So basicly GBW vanilla sets is advanced/improved textures and definitions how the clouds are drawn.
But it's still done by the few clouds textures there are and always from the same files for all 7 default weathers. (so no specificly created clouds for every weather like it's done with GBW weathers)

I hope this explains it correctly.

Edit: And since Peter explained this some time ago I'm appreciating his works so much more because I saw how much work really is behind all of it. (and yet it probably is even more than that)

Last edited:
Ah,
didn't saw the cloud textures in the gbW weather folders.. Now it's clear to me :)
Would it be possible to modify the default weathers with other clouds, manually, for online or would that result in a checksum error (=cheating)?
Like picking my favorites from gbW and replace it with the online weathers

Tested to replace "mid clouds" with "clear", and on my LAN server I now have the clear weather although the server config says "mid clouds".
So it works... question is: will I get banned? Has Assetto Corsa some kind of VAC? :whistling:

Last edited:
It won't cause checksum errors, but i.e. it would only work well for that one weather.

I.e. you take the file from gbw_unpredictable, you would have to pick which of the 7 default weathers this would replace, but I guess it would look bad/worse for each of the 6 other ones.

What might work though is to copy the cloud textures from your favorite GBW weather, take the 'colorCurves.ini' and 'weather.ini'* and copy these two files for all of the 7 default weathers, but then you would be limited to just this one weather regardless of what is used. (keep in mind that track temp. can change significantly with different weather settings, you get a clue for this with the normal weather change, but if you would have the same one for all weathers you might miss such a change)

*you might have to change the name label within the weather.ini file

So if you're ok with always having your favorite weather regardless of what the server is set to, then you could do it.

Otherwise the GBW vanilla sets are probably the better solution.

Thanks! :)
I know that this is some nonsense, dreaming around, brainstorming. Sorry for hijacking your support thread Peter!
But: that's kind of awesome because at the moment I really enjoy if I can load up AC and the sun is shining with nice clouds etc.
I don't need any fog/rain/dark clouds for now.

Thanks for spending time, supporting my thoughts. I will mix my favorite weather and enjoy driving in my dream world :p:roflmao::thumbsup:

EDIT: I always thought the default "light clouds" is way too dark. So I always chose "mid clear" when I wanted a few clouds. I chose the "103_gbW_broken_clouds warm", copied the weater.ini and colorCurves.ini into the "5_light_clouds" folder and renamed the "brokenNT2.dds" into "cloud6C.dds". It's kind of a darker "mid clear" now when I go on a "light clouds" server.
Really appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

Here are two screenshots:
Mid Clear: upload_2017-8-10_12-59-5.png

Light Clouds:upload_2017-8-10_12-59-48.png

Last edited:
Thanks! :)
I know that this is some nonsense, dreaming around, brainstorming. Sorry for hijacking your support thread Peter!
But: that's kind of awesome because at the moment I really enjoy if I can load up AC and the sun is shining with nice clouds etc.
I don't need any fog/rain/dark clouds for now.

Thanks for spending time, supporting my thoughts. I will mix my favorite weather and enjoy driving in my dream world :p:roflmao::thumbsup:

EDIT: I always thought the default "light clouds" is way too dark. So I always chose "mid clear" when I wanted a few clouds. I chose the "103_gbW_broken_clouds warm", copied the weater.ini and colorCurves.ini into the "5_light_clouds" folder and renamed the "brokenNT2.dds" into "cloud6C.dds". It's kind of a darker "mid clear" now when I go on a "light clouds" server.
Really appreciate your help! :thumbsup:

Here are two screenshots:
Mid Clear:View attachment 206235

Light Clouds:View attachment 206236
No problem, the support forum is exactly there for such questions and thanks for feedback. If you like my stuff i really advise you to check gbW Vanilla sets, esp. the "hot" and the "unpredictable" set. Last one is a step further in quality and will give you much more realistic visuals in all weather...

No problem, the support forum is exactly there for such questions and thanks for feedback. If you like my stuff i really advise you to check gbW Vanilla sets, esp. the "hot" and the "unpredictable" set. Last one is a step further in quality and will give you much more realistic visuals in all weather...
Will do so!
Your 3.2 Reshade is looking beautiful! I have some old SweetFX preset, configured for my Screen etc. Maybe it's time to switch over to reshade... Couldn't get the sharpening done to my liking (I use 4x SGSSAA and that's blurs the image).

I don't know why exactly but I absolutely don't like the look of AC with too much "clouds". You can see it in your Vanilla video when you drive with the "light clouds" in the second half of the video. The sky looks amazing but the track just looks dull to me :(
On the other side: your 103_gbW_unpredictable preview looks absolutely awesome! Thick clouds but the Track is still "bright".
Maybe I'm talking some real newbie-crap here but as you said, the support thread is the place for it :)
If I may post the picture to my words:
upload_2017-8-10_14-8-34.png

And from your video:
upload_2017-8-10_14-10-57.png

Couldn't get the sharpening done to my liking (I use 4x SGSSAA and that's blurs the image).
Just try "HighPassSharp" in Reshade 3.0. Its the fastest sharpening method in the bundle with good results.

I don't know why exactly but I absolutely don't like the look of AC with too much "clouds". You can see it in your Vanilla video when you drive with the "light clouds" in the second half of the video. The sky looks amazing but the track just looks dull to me :(
On the other side: your 103_gbW_unpredictable preview looks absolutely awesome! Thick clouds but the Track is still "bright".
This depends on daytime and the track. On the preview pic there is a large bright sand area and on New Jersey track you have much green and dark road, but i have to say, while driving the weather fit with mostly every track, especially New Jersey Motorsport is a nice realistic track...

Seems like I have quite a mission with testing:) thanks again for the great reply!
Little note: I don't want to say this dark look isn't realistic. I just don't like to drive with the same dark and dull ,"trist" in german, weather I have here in Hamburg everyday :roflmao:

Last edited:
Seems like I have quite a mission with testing:) thanks again for the great reply!
Little note: I don't want to say this dark look isn't realistic. I just don't like to drive with the same dark and dull ,"trist" in german, weather I have here in Hamburg everyday :roflmao:
Für Urlaub war er nichts, aber für Wolken fotografieren mit viel wechselndem Wetter war das sehr produktiv für mich...:geek:

Does ReShade works with the Oculus Rift? And if yes, has it better, worse or similar performance than with SweetFX PP-filter?

Does ReShade works with the Oculus Rift? And if yes, has it better, worse or similar performance than with SweetFX PP-filter?
Reshade does not support VR and as i was reading, it is rather unlikely it will support VR.
I choose Reshade, because its much easier to work with and develope shaders, The "ingame" control speed up the work. I don't have to restart AC again and again.

I have a Rift CV1 and it is a really nice thing and the whole VR process is moving forward. But in the current state, IHMO, the resolution is to low to think about putting extra postprocessing into it. Same with the performance of current PCs and graphic cards. Thats why i'm mainly focused on screens.

The performance mainly depends on the shaders itself, less on the injector.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.