F1 2012 GFWL No More, Steam Here We Come

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Andrew Bortz

GoldenBortz
By the looks of it GFWL are being dropped for 2012 there is now a steamworks badge on the affiliation for the game. Amazed no one has commented about this here yet.

(Edit) Ok so there has been a comment in another thread oops.

Good. The switch from GfWL to Steamworks in Dawn of War 2 (or rather: ditching GfWL and leaving Steamworks) did the game a lot of good. The matchmaking system that uses player point rating had some issues at the moment, but it's not something that would work in a racing game anyway.

I did a happy dance when I saw this, GFWL doesn't work whatsoever for PC. It took me hours to set up an account and once I did wanted my parents to say it was ok for me to do anything because I'm 17 classifying me as a child which is absolutely retarded. I'm not going to lie I'm not a huge fan of Steam either, (thanks IW for ruining that for me) however I've only owned three Steam games, MW2/BO/MW3, so hopefully I'll be happier with this game. I really would like to see a multiplayer improvement though F1 2011's multi was great for the first few months, but once people stopped playing the game I could never find a lobby with more than five people. Also server hosting has to be fixed to be made more widely used like it was in rFactor.

Very good decision and a first step in the right direction :) Now bring on those dedicated servers and the online fun and massive leagues can really begin :) CM will have to as I don't think PC racers will buy the game in large numbers if they don't give us the option to increase the slots for an online race.

Honestly it's not that exciting . Hardly *ANYONE* plays these F1 games for PC. I hop online and it's a ghost town. So what difference does it make? Up the limit to 24 human drivers? That's laughable. You'd be luck to see more than 8 players in a lobby on any given day.

Honestly it's not that exciting . Hardly *ANYONE* plays these F1 games for PC. I hop online and it's a ghost town. So what difference does it make? Up the limit to 24 human drivers? That's laughable. You'd be luck to see more than 8 players in a lobby on any given day.
Meh, I'm just in it for the GWFL hate :D. Any game that ditches that useless thing gets a clap from me.

As far as driver numbers go, if it's any different on consoles, I guess it's the lack of dedicated servers.
But the game itself isn't built to last anyway, with a new one coming out every year. You do the single player once or twice, and a new game is around the corner. Fragments the driver base.

Good, because after not being able to save/load my setups because of an account screwup I wouldn't waste my money if GFWL was in it again.

I tried creating a new GFWL account but it wants me to buy a new cd-key fu microsoft

do you have any idea how much time is wasted just having to put the setup in every time?

I know people are pissed off with the previous version (myself included), but stuff like this is absolute nonsense.

You know nothing about the game. You can expect it to be ****, but to write it off before a single thing is known about it is just plain idiotic.

The only nonsense here is the mentality that you've exposed, ie, "the dictator mentality", whereby you can't stand the fact that I can make a decision and express it.
2010 was very arcade, 2011 was less so but had poor steering precision, so unless CM's are making 2012 a genuine sim then I'd have to be paid to drive it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back