F1 2012 GFWL No More, Steam Here We Come

F1 2012 The Game (Codemasters)

Andrew Bortz

GoldenBortz
By the looks of it GFWL are being dropped for 2012 there is now a steamworks badge on the affiliation for the game. Amazed no one has commented about this here yet.

(Edit) Ok so there has been a comment in another thread oops.

This forum is the breast place for that sort of thing :D
tumblr_lwsasdqelX1qht847.jpg

I see what you did there ;)

:( nooooo i cannot double dip on my achievements anymore...

if ppl really have such issues with GFWL....thats ermmm bad...only had 1 live issue and that was 2010, but i found the fix which was a corrupted folder of mine. How hard is it. Steam wont make it 24, STEAM is not theones who decided the MP amount for online, CM is.

again, watch there be GFWL, i wouldnt mind it cuz i never have an issue with it, but just the integration of Servers would be great.

this is a bit off topic but Halo 2 PC is GFWL but made PC players host their own private servers, no more matchmaking. I wil probably still buy it , but will move on to console just for the mere fact that im reachin my 100K achievement over the year. oh well...i hope its gfwl :D

wish Poliphony or w.e is called (GT5 creators) move onto the PC realm for just one bit and make it straight forward F1 game, i mean they used all the hi-tech HD scanning for almost every car body and engine sound and the handling is a lot more realistic although imo overshot with certain "fast" cars, but they clearly have a history of great simualtion.

on a different note i laugh at the fact that everyone is happy dandy about steam...as if that wont stop anything. GFWL does one single good thing....prevents ppl from logging in to play online when the player trying to sign-in if they find that a possible hacked file is found. He will be able to bypass, but wont be bale to matchmake because a message will appear "cannot matchmake because you have a different game version". that is a very common error on hosting gfwl games with cheats on.

Steam...unless CM really talks steam into adding their anti-cheat VAC, then i will laugh at the MP. Looking at the steam racing games list they got, none of them i see supporting an anti cheat, with a few exceptions of Punkbuster, but mainly on aged games.

Now thats if there is really no Dedicated Server, if there is then is up to the server admin

The blessing in disguise that no one is talking about is that it should make the game much more manageable by Codemasters post-release. It is costly to put a patch through MS certification which I'm sure has affected Codemasters ability to iron out bugs after the release.

The blessing in disguise that no one is talking about is that it should make the game much more manageable by Codemasters post-release. It is costly to put a patch through MS certification which I'm sure has affected Codemasters ability to iron out bugs after the release.

Fair point, although unless I am mistaken, Eggsbox updates will still have to be certified and released via MS, therefore console patches will still need to go through that process.
Unless CM have radically changed their development approach for 2012, the PC patches follow/are ported from the consoles, so the same bottle neck / costs will apply unless they are now developing the platforms seperately.

My own opinion is that this will change nothing in CMs post game support.

My own opinion is that this will change nothing in CMs post game support.

I have to agree with that, it's all down to Codemasters. Their support is "Legendary" and is often only "Amateur" ;)

All console patches have to be certified, and even the PC on Steam. Steam is much improved now, but Steam users used to be at least 2 or 3 days behind non-Steam PC users when it came to game patches. Steam have to test and adopt the installers to their system, hence the delay. I think the tendency now is for the publisher to delay the patch until the Steam release is ready, and even worse for PC users, wait for the damn console patches to be certified too, even though it's nothing to do with the PC.

It's even more frustrating when Sony or Microsoft throw money at the publisher to ensure that THEY get some content before other platforms.

If whatever is being released is ready ...... just frigging release it, whatever the platform !!

Another advantage of Steam: everyone has an account, and we can create groups. If you're in the group you can join group chat, which is very useful for club races and league races, if there's still no ingame typed chat possible. The League group can be locked so only drivers who are in the league can join that chat :)

Especially good for host, because GFWL interface is so ridiculously slow, that it's hard for me as host to keep up with messages in some situations, and sometimes the game hangs a bit when I open or close the GFWL overlay.

But I'd rather see dedicated servers of course, than myself being the host :)

Getting back to the metaphors ...

The summer is upon us, a time for the scantily clad. Hopefully in June we will get to see those 'implants', as June is traditionally the time for 'peekaboo' bras. You may not get to examine the whole implant, but at least you should see the tips, a teaser of what is to come, time to 'cop a feel' :cool:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 358 15.7%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 253 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 244 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 179 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 302 13.2%