Franks Rig Report

yeah, I looked at it, but 50 cm won't cut it. The TL and vertical movement is too much. Connecting a few of them together makes me fear the signal will deteriorate. Moving them away from the rig entirely would be great, but unfortunately, that isn't viable. I believe this is a good alternative
Seems really well done to me. Did you 3D print the brackets for the SC2 Power supplies and if you did, would you be wiling to share the file?

Designed and built a new cabinet for the controllers for the sim rig. Six servos for the motion platform. Two Behringer NX3000D amps for the Buttkicker LFE and ClarkSynthesis TST329 pairs, two Behringer EPQ304 amps for the eight exciters.

I used 2020 aluminum profiles, 120 x 40 cm walnut furniture panels, and 10 cm mid-century tapered legs. Although the silver EPQ304 amps are 2U, they are significantly heavier than the 4U NX3000D. The EPQ304s have a metal housing, and the NX3000Ds cases are plastic. Extra angled brackets were installed on each corner of the frame to sustain that load.

IMG_7597.jpg

Triple monitor mount for motion rigs

The current setup has the triple monitors installed on an external stand that allows me to place the monitors as close to the wheelbase as possible. But only because I have not enabled the surge effect on my motion rig. I enjoy the surge effect. However, it automatically enables the upshift and downshifts effect, generating a short jolt each shift. When I got the motion platform, the software didn't allow for controlling the shift effect, and the brutal attack on my neck annoyed me so much that I just disabled the surge effect completely. SRS introduced controls for this feature a few updates ago. I ordered the 6DOF upgrade kit from PT-Actuators, so I need to make some changes to the rig that keeps my monitors close to the wheelbase while enjoying all the motion functionality of the motion platform. Time to mount the monitors to the rig.

View attachment 563965

The PT actuator group came up with a great solution that keeps the monitors firm and rigid on the rig. Let me put it another way, I bumped my shoulder on a corner of the screens while they were attached, and it felt I was getting stabbed. They didn't move one bit.

The kit list:
  • Two 8040 profiles acting as uprights, length 120 cm
  • One 8040 profile acting as a crossbar, length 120 cm
  • Two 8040 profiles acting as arms, length 70 cm
  • Two 8040 profiles acting as connectors/reinforcement for uprights, length 31 cm
  • Two 4040 profiles acting as reinforcements\locking for arms, length 30 cms
  • Two 4040 profiles act as vertical rods to support the arms, length 50 - 100 cms.
  • Two T Connection plates 80 x 160 mm
  • Four Pivot joints 40
  • Sixteen corner brackets
  • Vario VESA adapter kit
  • Xero-play triple pivot adapters set
  • Three sets of adjustable feet of Sim-Lab P1 upgrade kit

Integrated Mount Offset
As the Simlab P1-X uses T connector plates to connect the uprights for the wheelbase mount to the platform base, I wanted to use T connection plates to follow the exact offset of the uprights.

View attachment 563969

Reinforcement 8040
Although T connection plates provide a sturdy connection, we're dealing with a top-heavy situation here. The monitors are positioned at the far end of the uprights, tossed around by the motion. At the same time, we are attaching the whole construction at the bottom end of two profiles that already carry weight by themselves. Therefore reinforcements are required. Use an 8040 profile to connect the monitor upright to the wheelbase upright. I've used a handful of brackets to connect the 8040 profile.

View attachment 563971

Maybe you can use a 4040 profile, but from an aesthetic point of view, I liked the 8040. The length of the profile is dependent on the distance between the monitor and the end of your wheelbase. I mounted the crossbar in front of the uprights. I also experimented with mounting the crossbar behind the uprights to get the monitors behind the wheelbase and the same setup as Steliyan from Race Beyond Matter (Youtube).

View attachment 563972

If you want to move your monitors more towards the back, you either get a longer 8040 profile or play around with the position of mounting the crossbar. I ended up with two 31 cm 8040 profiles to get the best distance between my wheel and monitor, the upright position, and the placements of the slider system of the surge system.

View attachment 563973

The crossbar is 120cm in length, it could be a bit shorter, but this gives you a bit of room to play with when sliding the arms into place and finding the correct angle.

The external monitor mount was using the Xero-play triple pivot adapters set from Sim-lab, and one of the key features is its swivel capability. It lets you move a monitor out of position to get in and out of the rig much easier. The last thing I want is two monitors flapping around like Dumbo's ears while driving the Nordschleife, so I dug around in the stuff I had lying around and found these 3mm steel monitor mounts.

After countless hours of adjusting and adjusting, I returned to the Xero-play adapter set and added two 4040 profiles to act as reinforcements and locking for the arms. Why? Because the monitors kept on sagging, even with the rods. Either the steel was already bent, or the bolts weren't gripping well enough. The sagging disappeared with the new solution. You can experiment with the length of these locking profiles as they don't have to be 30 cm. I had them lying around, and it fits my rig perfectly. The 30 cm isn't a result of a structural calculation. ;)

View attachment 563975

Vertical Rod
An essential component to mitigating sagging is the vertical rod. Connecting the rod to the upright of the wheelbase creates the best connection with the whole rig. Unfortunately, my aluminum profile supplier enjoys an extended vacation, so I have to use what I have. The overall consensus within the PT-actuator group is to use the rod of 100 cm and connect it from the bottom of the wheelbase upright to the monitor arm. The length I used for the profiles was 50 cm. Paired with the Xero play, it works. But maybe if you use 100 cm rods and typical 3mm plates to connect the arms, you also have a great solution.

View attachment 563976

Adjustable feet
Now that the arms are level and locked, the monitors can be mounted and secured. I use the fantastic Vario VESA adapter kit from Sim-lab. If you want to use Triples, get these. It's a no-brainer. This kit's level of adjustability will extend your life for a couple of years or at least keep your neighborhood children from learning new curse words if you are an "expressive DIY'er" like me. But this kit won't keep them into place when being exposed to the force of a motion platform, and that's where the adjustable feet of the Sim-Lab P1 upgrade kit come into play.

View attachment 563977

The four feet require the arm to be at least 65 cm. I found it convenient to have it around 70 cm. This length allows me to slide around the VESA adapter when finding the correct angle for the monitor. The longer the arm, the more weight you introduce on pivot adapters and the overall rig, so I advise against introducing 120 cm arms on your motion rig.

View attachment 563978

When installed on all sets of feet, it feels like your rig can automatically receive all the TV networks in the world. Try to retract all feet as close to their base as possible, as this helps you place the monitors more easily.

Start by leveling the monitors with the Vario adapters first. After that step, slowly start to apply the feet to the monitors. With each foot installed, check whether the alignment of the monitors isn't affected. This step is quite a delicate dance between the Vario adapter and the feet. But once set up, the whole system is rock solid and will be one rigid solution.
View attachment 563979
Just catching up to your build thread and great monitor mounting solution, thanks for the detailed info! I use a D-Box now with floor mounted triple stand, thinking of making one similar to yours (I use the same monitors, also mounted upside down.) When you mentioned one of the key features of the Xero-play mounts was the swivel capability, I was not aware they did that (I own a set already but have not retro-fitted them to my rig.) That is appealing b/c my Samsung's now are as tight as I can comfortably get into the rig as-is but I've considered angling them in more (similar to what the bezel free kit suggests for example.) So a swivel out monitor for easier access is appealing.

In your final solution with the locking arms and other supports however this isn't possible or am I misunderstanding? I'd think with the locking arms and vertical supports to add rigidity and prevent sag, this has everything locked down so swivel is no longer an option? Can you get into the rig easily without it? Just curious. Anyway great work!

EDIT- never mind, I had not read far enough ahead, see you addressed this and even caused a re-think in design; I'll continue reading. I have a Bigscreen Beyond pre-ordered for VR but still think I may want to keep the triples as well. Perhaps I'll switch back to my AOC 32's with less agressive radius so I can angle them in further and still get into the rig and maybe reinforce like your triple rig mounted setup for motion.

Last edited:
Designed and built a new cabinet for the controllers for the sim rig. Six servos for the motion platform. Two Behringer NX3000D amps for the Buttkicker LFE and ClarkSynthesis TST329 pairs, two Behringer EPQ304 amps for the eight exciters.

I used 2020 aluminum profiles, 120 x 40 cm walnut furniture panels, and 10 cm mid-century tapered legs. Although the silver EPQ304 amps are 2U, they are significantly heavier than the 4U NX3000D. The EPQ304s have a metal housing, and the NX3000Ds cases are plastic. Extra angled brackets were installed on each corner of the frame to sustain that load.

View attachment 654359
This is art.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back