Franks Rig Report

Love seeing new ideas!!

A blank sheet design is a rare thing, and you are right to blaze a path that you can see works. Never worry about the peanut gallery :)

I've thought about trying a clean sheet. I've very frequently been designing constrained by earlier decisions. What you are doing is refreshing!!!

Keep it up. looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated.

Designing from a greenfield perspective is great, but unfortunately, it's not a walk in the park. :) I've now built three different pedal deck configurations and am still unsatisfied with the result. But seeing the rig slowly coming together is quite a gratifying experience.

• Deleted member 197115

Vertical column between legs doesn't bother you? It was the worst thing for me in early days when using Wheel Stand Pro, yours looks much wider with potential for knees bumping/legs scraping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Vertical column between legs doesn't bother you? It was the worst thing for me in early days when using Wheel Stand Pro, yours looks much wider with potential for knees bumping/legs scraping.
I also had a wheelstand pro, and it didn't bother me. But now, with motion, it can be that there will be some legs scraping. No knee bumping as the knees are located before the vertical column. The rig can always be adjusted to a bridge design, but that's a backup plan

I also was a wheel stand pro user here too…

Frank I thought you were possibly going be wearing knee pads ala the F1 drivers :) to protect them….

I’m thinking a little tasteful black padded collar around the column at leg scraping height could cushion the impact on your legs maybe.

Last edited:
LOL, knee pads, not so sure about that. But I actually looked into black padding similar to what's used in the F1 cockpits. But the legs are held together on both sides in those cars. But let's see how this works. It's all a part of the journey, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. If this design doesn't work, I'm moving on to a new one.

LOL, knee pads, not so sure about that. But I actually looked into black padding similar to what's used in the F1 cockpits. But the legs are held together on both sides in those cars. But let's see how this works. It's all a part of the journey, trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. If this design doesn't work, I'm moving on to a new one.
is your knee problem related to getting in and out or also during driving? Maybe you have to think about something like that:

The In en out is not a problem. The seat is so low you step over the seat, sit down and put your legs on the pedals. Andrew is talking about what happens when the platform moves, your body shakes, and your leg gets pushed against the vertical beam. That's the reason why I'm using a wheel spacer to get the beam placed beyond the knee, so the knee won't get smashed into the beam, but now the calf muscle will be used to lock the legs firmly against the beam. That Get Closer Racing Rig is something else :)

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

is your knee problem related to getting in and out or also during driving? Maybe you have to think about something like that:
Imagine pedal plate continue moving after knees hitting wheelbase. (crunch) :confused:
Darn, honey, I've pressed the wrong button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belts.JPG

I ordered the Tension-R active belt system shortly after the announcement, but unfortunately, I never had the opportunity to mount it on the previous rig. I incorporated the placement of the system into this design.

The Tension-R has a 2" inch 5-point belt system. I'd rather have a 3" inch belt as it's more comfortable, but the internals won't allow easy conversion.

tension-r Internals.jpg

Ryan pointed me toward an Instagram post that showed an easy 3" conversion. Multiple videos show the system in use, reassuring me that the conversation is dependable. To concept is to use a buckle to connect 2" belts to 3" belts.

Buckle.jpg

I bought some 2" black webbing at amazon to replace the red belts. A belt tower and rollers guide the Sabelt 3" belt.

Tower.jpg

The rollers are equipped with 22 mm skateboard ball bearing to get the most smooth action possible. The rollers and their holders are printed with impact PLA.

3dprint.jpg

The 3" Sabelt harness is a 4-point harness. I used the lower bits of a 2" Sabelt harness to create a 6-point. Using 2" in that region increases comfort a little bit. The lap belts miss the loops to route the lower belts through, but missing this loop won't make much difference. I'm not expecting a 6G crash.

6-poimt.jpg

The bottom belts are connected to the rig using rings or direct connection via m8 bolts.

bottom-belt.jpg

up next: Pedal deck

I've been contemplating getting a turn key belt tensioner system or going the DIY route. Could you provide a link to where to get those rollers?

The pedal deck was by far the most challenging subframe to design. It has to move back and forth. It has to go up and down, and it has to be able to allow the pedals to slide laterally. Two transducers, a Buttkicker LFE and ClarkSynthesis TST329, are installed underneath the pedal deck to increase complexity. And to preserve the tactile effects, a set of good vibration isolators (RaceBass) are used.

I bought the Simucube 2 pro during its initial launch, and in its first year, the pro came equipped with two power supplies. The PSU cable length restricts placement. A logical placement would be the steering column, but it would impact comfort. Placing them on the front and the back of the column would potentially be problematic for the knees. Placing them on the side would increase the width of the column to an uncomfortable proportion.

IMG_7494.jpg

The only safe position on the center beam is behind the center column, as drivers cannot accidentally hit or kick them. But that area is intended for the pedal deck subframe. Luckily, channels all around the spine and four simple 40160 5mm connector plates do the trick.

IMG_7480.jpg

Mounting the PSUs on the connector plates frees up the side channels of the spine, allowing the pedal deck to move back and forth across the central spine.
IMG_7479.jpg

The pedal deck subframe consists of two major parts, the lower part responsible for movement and the upper part allowing for mounting the components. The Good Vibrations (formerly known as RaceBass) isolators connect and isolate the two parts using 5mm T connector plates (120mm x 120 mm).
IMG_7501.jpg

The most important part of the pedal deck is, of course, the pedals. I replaced the Heusinkeveld Sprints, which I absolutely loved, with Racewerk S1 Pro hydraulic pedals.
IMG_7509.jpg

The pedals are fully aluminum CNC machined, and the brake pedal contains a Tilton Engineering 78-Series endurance racing cylinder. The pedals connect to the Simucube accessories port, reducing the USB port use.
IMG_7502.jpg

IMG_7505.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back