Frame Rate

R

Rick Klomp

• Rick Klomp

hi how can i see what frame rate i have wanna know how good i can get it whit my nvidia 7900 gs

To which address did you ping? It might be that you choose an address within your personal network range.

Can you tell me what kind of network layout you have there? (Any routers in between, any switches, more then 1 computer, stuff like that).

Is Race the only game you play online, or are there more? If so, do you have issues with them as well?
If you use more then 1 hop between incomming internet, and you computer, try to elliminate all other switches and hubs. Just plug Internet directly in your PC, and try again. That way, you can exclude any other hardware.

If that all does not work or help, you need to check your settings of the networkcard. The way you describe the problem, it almost must be a network issue.

Well I tried bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk. Didn't really know what else to type in there. :/

My "layout" is normally the hole in the wall + switch + network cables from two PC's so me and my girl can both have internet access. But today I tried plugging it directly to the hole in the wall, and it made no difference to my online racing. (It's called fiber, and it's extremely quick. It is included in my apartment and rent. Best deal anywhere, imo. ;P)

I play mainly WoW online to be honest, but that's because.. well the Race07 problems. A few months back it was the other way around. :) Never had any problems with WoW though.

What settings do I need to change on the network card? Cheers!

I think the best thing would be to do a little search and find out where the game servers are located and either ping them or ping a server that is close to them using the same network host. This should give you the most accurate results.

Also, it has been a while, but I know you can run the ping test continuously to some servers over a period of time and have the results logged to a file to view later on. This would give you an idea on the stability of your connection beyond your fiber optic network that you are directly connected to. Not all of the internet is running on fiber :)

You can also go to speedtest.net and run some tests to different servers at different times to see if there is any noticably large pings, or slow speeds detected, but unfortunately, you would be getting burst speeds from that test, not average over a longer period.

Have a look here: http://www.dslreports.com/tools, there are some good tools to test over a long period of time to see if there are any issues, as well as some tools that can give you advice on how to tweak and what to tweak on your network setup.

If you want to write the ping results to a file, just use:
ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -t >filename.txt

It will create a text file with the results.

Since you are having issues with Race only, the most obvious thing to check is the opened ports on your windows firewall. Since you say the issue is also present when plugged directly into the wall socket, the router firewall should not be the problem.

My advise for now.
Plug the race pc directly into the wall.
check for opened ports. They should be: 48942 - 48957 and 26900 - 26907.
It could be that you have less open ports, and when a lot of transmissions are required, there are not enough ports to use.

Did you also try to connect to a private hosted game with a friend, or someone from the forum? That way you have the IP address of a race07 game.

Do you or your girl have issues with other internet applications as well, or is it JUST race which does not work?

I found how to add ports, but is it TCP or UDP I should click in? I'm very noobish with computers. :p

I have not tried connecting to a private server with a friend, but I reckon I'll be able to do so if I just poke someone on Steam. Will keep you updated on that.

We do not have any other issues with any other game or application.. it's just me and my Race07. :D Lovely isn't it? ^^

From Race FAQ. (http://www.race-game.org/race07/support/faq.htm)

Q: I am on a firewall protected LAN network and want to a RACE server for other users of the same LAN network, what ports do I need to open?
A: TCP+UDP 48942 - 48957 and UDP 48958-48973

If you want, I can set up a dedicated server for you to test on. Just you on the track, so it is minimal bandwith usage. That way, I can give the IP address to ping to as well :) Send me a private message if you want to do that test.

There is a file in the downloads section for race 07 misc files that is listed as dedicated server setup and it has a list of the UDP and the TCP ports that should be allowed to pass information. You can use that as a basis for what should be allowed. I would also check to be sure that windows firewall isn't blocking the program to some extent. This is most likely the case if this is the only program that is having issues.

Indeed, the most easy way of testing the firewall, is just turn it off for a moment, start Race, and see what happens. If it runs ok, the firewall is the issue.

Plug in the wallsocket directly. Just to make sure that the router firewall isn't playing games with you. When it runst smooth with windows firewall turned off, try to open the ports, and turn firewall back on. If it still works ok, plug it into the router, and try again. That way, you test 1 firewall at a time, and avoid looking in the wrong place.

I opened the ports.. I think. Probably messed up somewhere.

Framerate stays the same + it developed another problem.. the fps goes to 1 sometimes. Switches between 0 and 1 actually for a few seconds then back to "normal" 10-15.

Why oh why.. :(

@ Marco - yes, I turned the firewall off without any success. :/

@ Jim - I'm running XP 32bit since XP 64bit was worthless and nothing worked properly on it. :p Especially not race. /sadface

Downloaded it, got it running as we speak.. am I supposed to edit something in it? Or just let it run and start Race07?

EDIT: Oh I ran a ping thing to google.com I think. Results:

Pinging [68.67.73.20] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=121ms TTL=51
Pinging [193.10.252.19] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=19ms TTL=249
Pinging [169.232.55.224] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=47
Pinging [169.232.55.224] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=181ms TTL=47
Pinging [169.232.55.224] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=190ms TTL=47
Pinging [209.85.149.103] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=51
Pinging [209.85.149.103] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=51
Pinging [209.85.149.103] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=47ms TTL=51
Pinging [64.62.162.20] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=169ms TTL=114
Pinging [64.62.162.20] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=114
Pinging [64.62.162.20] with 32 bytes ->bytes=32 time=168ms TTL=114
Ping statistics for above hosts:
Packets: Sent = 15, Received = 15, Lost = 0 (0% loss)
Approximate round trip times (RTT) in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 19ms, Maximum = 190ms, Average = 107ms

I right-clicked Race07 in Steam, hit properties, and then "Verify integrity at game cache" (translated from swedish :p) and it took a minute or so before it told me all files have been verified. I take it that it means everything is in order?

Really strange issue this is...

I would try to uninstall, and reinstall the game totally. Don't know if you have any mod's or addons installed, but I would just install Race07. Then try to see what it does online and offline. If it works, start adding the mod's and addons 1 at a time, and testing in between. Perhaps that way you can pinpoint it to a specific addon perhaps.

If that does not work, I am sort of out of options. You could eliminate your internet connection by taking the computer, and putting it at a friend whom has a good working online Race installed, and test there. If the issue still is present, then it HAS to be a installation issue.

If all works well at a friend, I would contact the internet provider to see what they can tell you. Perhaps they have a limitation somewhere installed.

Anyway, keep us updated!

I only recently (roughly a week) did a complete format and re-install of XP, so the install of Race07 is fairly fresh, so I've not yet had time to install a single addon.

Though I did save my old user data (C:/Documents and settings/Simbin) things on a separate harddrive and put it back after I did the format, because I want to keep a lot of things such as replays and setups and whatnot. Could this be an issue?

And sadly I do not know anyone IRL that plays Race07.. :/

Copying those files should not be the issue. I did that as well, and have had no strugles.

I know it's a bit of trouble, but if you really want to exclude any hardware other then the PC and the installation, you need to take that PC to a friend, and plug it in his internet. Doesnt matter if he plays Race or not, you just need a connection.

Is the issue related with the number of cars on the track? If it's a connection issue, it's most likely that if you start on a empty server, it runs more smooth then on a full one. You could try that as well.
How does the start go when you play an online race? Is it more terrible then, compared to let's say 1 lap out when the field has spread a bit? Or is it that even alone on a piece of track, there are issues?

What happens if you set the visual settings down a whole lot? Does that matter? I believe Dedicated servers "just" synchronize the game, and do not send graphical data around. So, changing the detail should NOT make a difference when the issue is connection related. If it DOES change the smoothness, I can't come to another conclusion then the GPU, which seems weird since offline all goes well...

Just trying to pinpoint the cause of this issue. All in all it's a real brainbricker....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back