Formula Pro Series (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not saying that setups doesn't mean anything, but at the same time I cannot help to think that on some occations it can be easy to believe that an improved lap time comes from the setup and not from the extra 20 laps of practice.

To illustrate my example, let's say that you start out with a time that is "optimal + 10 sec". You practice for 60 minutes and have acheived "optimal + 6 sec". Then you change setup to something that is recommended and shave of an additional 2 seconds. Question now is, was the two additional seconds due to the 20 minutes you spent testing the new setup, or did the 2 seconds come directly from the setup itself?

I tend to stick with the same setup when I practice for a race due to little time to prepare. What I experience often is that I have an ok laptime that I am able to duplicate, but not to improve too much. Half an hour later I suddenly post a time that is 0,5 sec better than my old PB. Sometimes it feels that it comes from nowehere, but since I am on the same setup it is obvious that it comes from my driving. I simply know the track even better, have more conficence etc.

If I had changed setup before my 0,5sec improvement, it would have been VERY easy to think that it was due to the setup, and in this case it would be the wrong conclusion.

My point here is not that it is all in the driving and nothing in the setup, but rather than one should be aware of the complexity in differing between the two.

I use Logitech driving force gt wheel. This is a quite good wheel, but I have big problems in slow speed braking. Pedals doesn't fully suit me and tyres locks too easily and I have to use lower brake pressure in setup. I use medium strength values.

I personally recommend learn to do own setup first, and later spy some information from the other setups. I didn't use own setups 1 year ago and I was totally poor setup maker, but my speed improved immediately when I tried to do own setup.

When I come to new track, I always start to test driveability, what suits me best. It doesn't take much time to do so, but it helps a lot when I start to do fast laps, because I trust my setup and I can go limits after max. 40mins-1hour.

I like understeering car in the beginning and my style to start testing is to use very long small gears, high rear wing, low front wing, hard springs and soft brake pressure. That's how I get right feeling faster.

Like here is already mentioned, It would be good to see faster driver replays and compare how you drive. I see often errors like, for example:
- Driver goes to middle of the track in braking, and gets a bad/slow angle to the corner
- Too much brake pressure -> overbraking->less speed
- Too short/long gear when entering to/ leaving the corner
- Can't use engine braking
- Too early braking

I truly appreciate the thoughtful posts made here by everyone. I have read all of it 3 times very carefully.

My personal belief is that setups make a dramatic difference, but someone still has to drive the car properly.

I'm trying to shift my focus away from hot laps and more towards 80 liter stints to improve my race consistency for next season, but it takes a lot of time.

I'm trying to shift my focus away from hot laps and more towards 80 liter stints to improve my race consistency for next season, but it takes a lot of time.

Yeah, go for it. Finally it's allways about fine tuning your line and carrying as much speed through a corner as possible (and out of it, if a long straight follows).

Of course setup is a special thing with this F1 mod, because there have do be used some strange values, that don't allways fit the real thing (example: extreme toe values). But these things are well known in the community and finally after all drivers started to share their setups in the forum this season, you can find a huge bunch of good setups in the FPES section. Just look for the setup threads prior the events... :)

Of course setup is a special thing with this F1 mod, because there have do be used some strange values, that don't allways fit the real thing (example: extreme toe values). But these things are well known in the community and finally after all drivers started to share their setups in the forum this season, you can find a huge bunch of good setups in the FPES section. Just look for the setup threads prior the events... :)

The real reason behind the setup thread is to make spending time on setups unimportant. If you spend 3 hours developing a superior setup you'll have to share it with everybody, and then it is no longer superior. This means the 3 hours should rather be spent in e.g. stint practice if one wants to optimise once competitivenes.

One (out of many) of the reasons we try to minimise the "setup-factor" as a mean of competition is (as mentioned by Reik above) that the setup for the mod does not reflect the real world, thus making it much less interesting/valueable to aquire the knowledge to setup the car.

Bottom line is that I believe that if everybody stays 100% faithful to the setup thread and it's ideals, every driver would naturally (to a greater degree at least) focus their practice time on the factors that makes the races better rather than spending time on setups and hotlapping which really does not help too much towards creating safe and close races.

Merry Christmas to all btw :)

Let us all be inspired by this man :)

Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays my friends!!!
Red-Bull-Xmas-Card-2010-FT.jpg

Cant see F1 at online servers - helppp :)

Hey there
I just reinstall steam and GTR EVO ( some files deleted somehow )
I do c and play offline with f1 but cant c any at online presto servers and other
defined as unknown - strange
Any one knows what could be the issue ? :eek:

... What I experience often is that I have an ok laptime that I am able to duplicate, but not to improve too much. Half an hour later I suddenly post a time that is 0,5 sec better than my old PB. Sometimes it feels that it comes from nowehere, but since I am on the same setup it is obvious that it comes from my driving. ...

This is a very well known phenomenon in the "theory of practicing". Every musician experiences that (and not only they). The brain needs some time to restructure and create new joints. It is always good to make a break after a period of practicing (prefereably go to sleep and return to the track the next day).

And an important thing also is to find out where and why did you gain 0,5 seconds! You can do so by reviewing older replay files with the latest replay of this new fastest lap. If you find out what the difference was, you can improve your line on this circuite and maybe you improve your style at all....

a kind skin request :)

Hy folks!

Looks like there are some great painters here with amazing skills I'll never have. :redface:

I'd really enjoy to have an own skin for the upcomming FPES season and other future events. Until today I used the McLaren and it would be great if someone, who likes to help me could use this car model.

My request is an absolutely "feel-free-to-do" request, but I hope to find a guy who likes to paint just for fun.

Any interested painter could reply here or via PM. Would be great!

many thx in advance!!!

Reik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering