Formula Pro Series (Merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Ethan,
It's difficult to say why you are not getting any log files. However, do check to ensure that you have the "vehicledata.spt" file in the right place and the .plr file line is pointing at it.

I had to manually instal mine last time and copy it from an earlier installaion which was weird I thought.

My file is in this directory: G:/Steam/steamapps/*username*/race07/UserData/vehicledata.spt

In my .plr file:
Data Acquisition File="G:\Steam\steamapps\*username*\race 07\UserData\vehicledata.spt

*username* = my/ your steam username.:)

Mine still did not work until I created the folders for the log files to be stored in. The G:/MoTec folder was already there and nothing. After creating the "Logged Data" folder inside it, the files appeared [Yippee!].

I now use Win7 64 OS. I had no issues prior on XP; it's a learning curve. :)

Help with presto

I HAVE SUBCRIBED A REGISTERD AT PRESTO, BUT WHEN I PULL UP THE GARAGE SCREEN TO FILL IN MY BEST LAPS ETC, THE NAME { in game name } it tells me user name in use. I am so confused am i on it or not? some help would be much appreciated

You have registred with the username: Darrylwebb

The user name must be identical to the name you use when you race. If your race name is the same as your Race Department name (Darryl Webb) then your Presto name should be that as well.

All you need to do is to register a new user (Darryl Webb) and a password that you'll remember.

Thank you for the debug log. I will try to have a look at it over x-mas break.

I'm posting about some possible bad news:
As some may know I'm a full time college student and thus don't have deep pockets. The prestogp updater uses my webserver to download from, which works great. Except after 2 years of paying for the server I am now looking at a problem. I don't have enough money to pay for my server right now and It only has 5 days remaining. I'm going to ask some friends who also use my server for donations to help pay for the server since I've been paying for it on my own for the last few years.

I'm hoping some PrestoGP members would consider donating alittle money to help also. I know its the holidays and everyone is buying gifts already, I only ask a few people donate what they can throw away. Even just 5$ would help alot!

To donate goto www.divinestudios.us and at the bottom right corner is a donate via paypal button.

Thanks and have a great holiday season!
Daimian

presto good now, realised whats what but i go to join f1 tracks even monza says no, they all run in f3 but not f1, on my own fine but to join will not allow im at a loss i was racing all the time on a friends {ritchie77} server, even that says modified, as usual i am proberbly being dumb but i have changed nothing at my end. thanks for your on going assistance and if you really want me to change avatar of course no prob. many thanks

really helpful info i new so little of all points covered, the lights been turned on, my lap times are improving, i take any aid i can get , thanks very much for being bothered it proper helps.

glad to see people are still reading it

I should have quite a lot more free time over the holiday season with which to start doing some regular updates. I'm learning all the time and I plan to include more telemetry analysis of different setups (made possible by the setup threads) to better illustrate what different settings actually make the car do and the specific challenges each track poses and the setup compromises you may have to make because of them. I don't know if I'll be able to get that far or if it will even make a difference but we're sure going to find out.

Becoming faster in the FPES/FPPS off-season

I started with Race 07 late 2009, started racing f1 2007 mod when it was released here about March 2010. I entered Formula Pro at Round 2 of the Pacific Series. My hot lap pace was decent and my full-race consistency was terrible, so I am looking to improve considerably before entering the next season.

There are a few areas I have decided to work on, but before I get started I'd like to get a general idea about a few things because when the fastest drivers post their setups, I generally don't improve my times much with them, and that tells me I am the limiting factor.

before I try to make changes to my driving style, I am curious to know what sort of driving hardware people are using (wheels, pedals, etc), and also how they choose to set them up. Basically I want to make sure that my input to the car is appropriate for this F1 mod so I can get the most out of my hardware before I examine my driving style more closely.

For instance I am using a Logitech G27. I have set in my Logitech Profiler 100% overall effects strength, 100% spring effect strength, 100% damper effect strength, disabled centering spring strength, 360 degrees rotation, and I allow game to adjust settings. In-game I set speed-sensitive steering 0%, and the sensitivities Steering 60%, Throttle 50%, Braking 100%, and Clutch 50%. These settings have been mostly acceptable to me, but I still feel like I am being limited in certain areas. Anybody interested in sharing their hardware setups for comparison?

I have a MOMO, thus I can not tell you specific numbers but I set up my wheel to medium strength. Not too much so you have not to "fight" against the wheel but strong enough to give you decent feedback. Like the setup thing this settings won't make you considerable faster or slower. I know a really fast guy (Arno Hoog) who drove (maybe still drives) with a wheel that has no force feedback at all. The only important thing is that you are comfortable with it so you can focus on the things that matter.

It may sound a bit booring but finally it all comes down to practice. With practice I don't mean just doing hundreds of laps. It won't help much if you are not analysing youreself and think about what you are doing. There are certainly nummerous techniques and personal experience of drivers that could be interessing to discuss here.

I always try to have some slogans in my mind while driving and practicing a track:
- "The most important part of a turn is the exit. Entry and middle part are only there to set up the car for it.
- "Slow down - go fast"

There are a lot of good articles and books out there that are worth a read. The topic is actually much more fine grained than I'm able to tell. A quick search showed this for instance: http://books.google.de/books?id=kyCWHRmf3OQC&pg=PA117&lpg=PA117&dq=%22most+important+part+of+a+turn+is+the+exit%22&source=bl&ots=blABLzQu89&sig=9tBleGDrPzKhpDLgSN7aPVVZcEA&hl=de&ei=5HcOTdCwO8SKswa4pP3VDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

One thing I personaly like to do in order to improve my line around a track is put max. fuel in, take hard tires and then try to get better in that configuration. If you get it right now the difference in time is much more evident and if you miss an entry and appex you will suffer a lot.

I have a DFP with the same profiler settings except 720 degrees of steering, I usually have 26-31 degrees of lock in my setups, 50% sensitivity on everything. I use different FF settings which I think are actually copied over from GTR2 because I always felt it was easier to feel the car with them.

- "The most important part of a turn is the exit. Entry and middle part are only there to set up the car for it.
- "Slow down - go fast"

+1, the throttle is the thing that makes the car go forward, be on it sooner=go faster.. simples:cool:

Brake as late as you can, carry as much apex speed as you can...but never at the expense of getting back on the gas, if you have to hesitate you've blown it

Also, I dont use the full amount of feedback, not sure of the exact figures but my g25 is set on med, throttle sensitivity I tend to change depending on the track but its never at 100%

Jim

1st the most key aspect of going faster according to my experiance is consitency, without you make mistakes,you cannot analyse were you are going slow and cannot see how the car is behaving throught certain corners,which leads to being able to setup the car well.

Like above mentioned the exit is the most important part of the corner, but you also should be thinking about the rest of it, I normarlly break up the corner in 3 different parts( ENTRY,MIDDLE and EXIT) but you can even do morein certain types of corners.
when you think about this terms you should be seeing what the car does in each section so you can see what you can improve.

1 more thing is practice makes perfect.

I use the same black Momo like Nico does. It feels great and I don't wanne miss it. I also use medium strength values to get a good response from the car, without destroying the desk during a quick maneuver. :cool: I think many drivers use a G25 here, so I'm sure you'll get some good hints at RD.

...because when the fastest drivers post their setups, I generally don't improve my times much with them, and that tells me I am the limiting factor...

This is a very sencefull conclusion and I don't mean this joking but realy serious. Many new commers overrate the influence of setups. Before they "perfectly" get used to the track-car-combination, they start trying different setups. Doing this, they'll never know if an improvement in time was caused by a setup change or the fact they just did a cleaner lap.

So the first priority is to become able to repeat lap by lap at the same high level, no matter if the setup is perfect or not. Even then more setup testing makes sence. Of course the pro's will get much earlier to this stage, but this only comes from "practice, practice, practice" like Nico mentioned. Only with pure driving your whole style, feeling and racing line improves. And this process never stops, no matter if beginner or pro.

The way I could improve all over the year was just watching the best drivers. I'm hating to analyse telemtry and I never did so. But it's always easy to watch your own replay (enable speedo) and compare your own speed through some corners with the speed of the pro's in the same corners by watching their replays. You'll notice where they are quicker than you and then you'll watch from the view behind (a little zoomed out) what they do different. The choice of line, braking points, turn in points, high speeds on straights....

The main difference between a pro and a beginner or midfielder is, the pro takes nearly every turn at the ideal line and therefor at the maximum possible speed and this lap by lap! Whilest a not so skilled driver may also be able to do so, but only by luck in one hot lap out of hundred not so good laps. So the biggest focus must be to take every corner "right". Only then a setup change will show you, if you're able to take it a little quicker, brake into it a little later and accelerate out of it a little earlier.

You sometimes can hear drivers asking, what they could change to their setups to become faster. Then you watch those drivers on track and you see they could improve their lap time very much, if they would drive a better line.

I know that this is much (boring?) text only about the importance of driving style. On the other hand it expresses how much I value this aspect besides setup and controller. And sooner or later it comes automatically, that you know which setup changes to make to make a setup suit your likings and the car behave like you want it to.
Take me as an example. I didn't learn this by working out and understanding the phsyics behind it. I just tried this and that and learned what it causes also in combination with other changes. But there are still so much better setup makers out there, but even though I'm competitiv.

If you or some else likes to compare your laps with my PB laps, I could upload the laps if I find them...

Cheers mate and never get tired of prac**** (you know what I mean :tongue:)

What Reik says is definitely true, but I maintain that setups can still make a big difference. Last season it was planned about a month in advance that the first race would be at interlagos and over that month I put in 1000+ laps of that track. I looked at the replays of faster drivers who were on the server when I was and improved my driving skill dramatically by doing so, I also got MoTeC working on my computer which actually sped up this process as well. Come race day I was able to put in a perfect lap on rare occasions, but my setup handicapped me to the point where I was over 2 seconds off the fastest lap on the presto timesheets (although my real PB that I didn't do on the server was 1.4 seconds off). My springs, tire pressures, dampers and toe settings were all wrong and the race start was a disaster, but my experience with the track and car made my laptimes very consistent (given tire wear) and helped me fight through over half of the field and a achieve a respectable result. This season when we returned to interlagos I brought with me that track experience with additional setup knowledge gained from so many races in between. Now I'm only 7 tenths off the fastest lap and I dominated that race. So I can confidently say that in this case a good setup was worth 1.3 seconds over one lap on the shortest f1 track. I've also found that a good setup can not only make you much faster over one lap but also more consistent with less tire wear which will gain you much more than 1 second over a race distance and in the end that's where the biggest improvement due to setup can be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes