FIA to award double points in F1 final race

Article says:- Sebastien Vettel clinched the 2013 season way before the final race, so this move is to prevent this from happening again.

So we get to the last race with Vettel already 110 points ahead of second place.

How has this new rule changed anything? It will only be a factor if the points leader is less than 50 pts ahead going in to the final race.

This is pathetic! I don't have anything else to add, just F ridiculous...
Champion is no Champion if he won cause of one race.
Someone above mentioned that this meant Alonso would have been the Champion in 2012 and how that was great thing, i ask myself, how it can be ?
For one, it's not great at all! Alonso did not deserved the title, Vettel won it by some points and that's it! Hamilton won it by point in 2008, Kimi would have been in 2003 ... why? In 1 race only? What can be told from this examples? That we have limitless options for Champions for points for everything now. If it was only cause of cars technology and safety improvement now it is even the rules that divide whole F1 history and that cannot be bought or repaired with money.

However Champion you become by winning and being consistent through whole season.
I have grown up with F1 and i haven't been dissapointed this much....

You speak of one drivers domination booring etc.

Even if someone else was winning it instead or Vettel for 9 races i would be again in front of the TV in the same time to see if there was someone else who can beat him! Why this domination's of which you speak off are bad for the sport? In order to change that, changing the points system is not okay. You simply do not change points for the last football match. Or put whatever sport you like.

this is tragic comedy!!!!

Last edited:
People are seeing one driver domination as a "bad thing for the sport" that is the common thinking, i am proud to say i am not one of those, because that thinking is what kills this sport.

Changing the rules is what kills the consistency in the history and comparing with drivers from other eras making almost impossible and it is not. Although car improvements and safety measures make it double now, it is even harder with so much rules changed and now this, to make any comparisons, it kills the history it kills everything. I am unable to find proper words to say how stupid is this. Bernie has made it true circus but not true F1 Championship where the best driver would win. Of course that one race will be extra important and harder cause of the points bonus, putting extra pressure etc etc, but its one race, what can one driver argue for his hard work for whole season? There is no logic in this at all only marketing, money and circus nothing else.

PS. I laughed at Alonso's helmet with his record of points. It was pure and honest emotion cause of the points system change - also simple. If this doesn't ring a bell i don't know what is for Bernie.

And Alonso himself has gone with it hahaha amazing! I suppose it was the only way since we must sell the cr*p of Bernie. (He has a record in his wildest dreams.)

Last edited:
[edit] deleted - inserted above

Last edited:
Article says:- Sebastien Vettel clinched the 2013 season way before the final race, so this move is to prevent this from happening again.

So we get to the last race with Vettel already 110 points ahead of second place.

How has this new rule changed anything? It will only be a factor if the points leader is less than 50 pts ahead going in to the final race.

It's not about last year now it's about every year in the history of F1...but we would get too deep i assume so better we leave it...
F1 should have stuck with - since they found one fine system and that could've easily be 10-6-4 etc. or later 10-8-6, since they changed to 25 they cut the history on two separate pages and with this rule they just make it bigger ...

Last edited:
I have a suggestion that seems to follow this logic, and mix things up some more.

For each race we have a lucky draw for each team, and the winner gets a "move ahead two places" card. The lucky driver then gets the right to freely move ahead of the two cars in front when they advise that they are playing the card. It also brings in some strategy regarding when to play the card. :whistling:

Now, how do I get this idea to the FIA? :rolleyes:

[sarcasm off]

I have followed F1 all my life, watching live races since 80s era and seen just about any race ever videotaped before that. And when i see these changes aimed at making it a commercial spectacle and a show, like Nascar where you can have 10 lead changes in a race and someone placed 21st or so can win a race, all due to artificiality introduced by rules designed to make it ad selling tv show and not racing, i feel really annoyed.

For another horror example, see the difference between real european rallycross and the downright stupid american X Games crap.

Personally my view is that F1 should remian the pinnacle of racing, not become a silly tv show for advertisement cash.

This means to me, no DRS, no KERS, no nothing in terms of mandatory artificiality.

However, make technology rules more relaxed, allow expensive, super high tech engineering that could change races. That is the pinnacle of racing. So what if someone gets an advantage, they have it because they are better. Simple as that. Better driver and/or better engineers. End of story.

This also makes me hate the new cost cutting stuff. This is not my idea of the highest level of motorsports and engineering. My opinion is simple, if you can not afford to be at the top, pushing the boundaries of racing, then you won't. No one should step back from achieving greatness in racing to "level the field". It already happens in touring car series with extra weight added to cars and other crap moves.

If you are the best, you should rightfully get to outclass everyone else.

My suggestion for the "no overtaking is boring me" crowd... What about restricting some aero? Make the car not artificially better, but make it worse to drive. More mechanical grip, less aero, leaving more room for both fantastic engineering, and driver skill making a more real difference.

Reactions: Dux
The championship should be about who puts a whole season together the best not who scores the most points in the final race of the season.
Double points are not needed the current system is fine and has led to brilliant championship battles but now that won't happen because of stupid double points.

I have a suggestion that seems to follow this logic, and mix things up some more.

For each race we have a lucky draw for each team, and the winner gets a "move ahead two places" card. The lucky driver then gets the right to freely move ahead of the two cars in front when they advise that they are playing the card. It also brings in some strategy regarding when to play the card. :whistling:

Now, how do I get this idea to the FIA? :rolleyes:

[sarcasm off]
Yeah, and we could have a 'Get out of a Drive Thru Free' card too! In fact I think the drivers should have to dress up as a small hat, a small dog, or a shoe.

Double points is silly. It makes sense to use a "points multiplier" in other series, such as V8 Supercars, but even there 300 points are awarded for the weekend for a race win, with points split between the races.

All F1 races are (theoretically) roughly equal so they should all be worth the same ( I say theoretically because Monaco is shorter and some races, e.g. Monza, are shorter in time than others, e.g. Singapore, due to average speeds).

The silliest part is Abu Dhabi is ending the season, not Brazil, which is probably the worst track on the calendar IMHO. Too many slow corners with long straights in between. It's like a bad street circuit, but without the excitement and drama resulting from running up against the walls...

I would really like to hear some opinion from the drivers and some officials from F1, some explanation and i hope this is just bad joke before Christmas

People are seeing one driver domination as a "bad thing for the sport" that is the common thinking, i am proud to say i am not one of those, because that thinking is what kills this sport.

Yeah, I'm sure that has nothing to do with your driver preferences.

The only people that lost interest at all this year, are the ones who won't follow it for the next 5 years on anyway - the fickle fans.

The difference is that a rule like this will push away all the real fans who follow the sport for more than just who wins the championship.
Empty threat. We all know we're never going to stop watching ;)

And as for the fickle fans: They are obviously the ones responsible for this rule change. TV broadcasters have difficulties keeping up the viewership figures if the championship is over by September. Hence they go complain to Bernie that they are paying too much for the commercial rights. At the very least this rule delays the championship conclusion by one race.
We may not like this, but the fickle fans are the ones that rule this sport (as well as pretty much anything else in the world). Better to just deal with it, this is simply a fact of life.

I kinda like the idea...just gotta see how it works out.

Plus drivers having their own number is good. How do they decide?
Each driver gets to pick, I assume.

"The statement added that “number one will still be reserved for the current world champion, should he choose to use it.”

It added: “If more than one driver chooses the same number, priority will be given to the driver who finished higher in the previous year’s championship”."

F1 has and will have more tracks where you need KERS and DRS to overtake, stupid rules like double points and overtake/defend with extreme caution .....

Pure Hollywood. We don't need night races, show.. We need pure racing.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back