FIA to award double points in F1 final race

Howard Choularton submitted a new blog post:

FIA to award double points in F1 final race

The final race of the season will now carry double points, in an effort to increase competition for the top spots towards the end of the season.

The decision was made in order "to maximise focus on the championship until the end of the campaign", according to an FIA statement.

Sebastien Vettel clinched the 2013 season way before the final race, so this move is to prevent this from happening again.

The points awarded for first position will increase from 25, to 50.

The change is one...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post

ABANDON F1, ABANDON F1!

No seriously. This is bullshit. And the cap being introduced in 2015? How long do you need? The FIA wanted to introduce it earlier, but they were veto'd. Will they get veto'd again next year?

Mixed feelings on this.

Firstly. I think it's a cool concept. The idea of double points at the finale means that more drivers would potentially have a mathematical chance of winning the championship, which could lead to more excitement. Plus it puts lots of pressure on the drivers/teams to not make mistakes. Overall, it heightens the drama and tension for the finale, which can only be a good thing.

But, having double points at a race track like Yas Marina is mindblowing really. A terrible track to have the finale and this new rule. I dont think as many people would be angry if it were Interlagos instead. Can you imagine a dry/wet race like in 2012 which had so much excitement, and add on top of that double points.. it would be great in my opinion.

My main concern with this is the direction in which F1 is going. More and more gimmicks are being added one by one like DRS and highly degradable tyres. The sport is slowly but surely becoming more and more artificial after each season, and it's becoming alarming. I wouldn't be surprised to see sprinklers beside the track or reverse grids in the near future.

Oh dear..

I have an idea, let's just have only one F1 race per year to increase the excitement and give points for who drifts the most in the corners. Oh yeah .. and let's have Vettel start the race after the other drivers have 5 min in advance.

Bull#### rule regarding double points! So you could have 2 drivers 7 points out of each other, with the leading driver finishing second in the final race, and second-placed driver winning, thus both having equal finishes for the year, but the driver who was behind, winning the championship by 7 points now because he won the last race.

Bollocks. Imagine the farce and outrage at that particular situation.

You know if we had to have a change in the points system, I would of been more inclined to awarding a small number of points for qualifying in the top 10.

Looking back this would of meant Alonso would of been champion in '12, Vettel would of been '09 champion and Massa '08 champion. Personally I think the way those seasons ended were perfectly fine.

So finishing in the top 5 at the last race of the season means in almost every case more than actually winning any of the other races. Do not like.

Last edited:
double points are silly
I also personally dislike the number changing, it should be about the teams, those that are there year after year. having the number 3 and 4 shows you were one of the best two teams last year, now if someone has 30 and 55 every year it shows nothing
edit: I really hope this is like a December fools joke or something, this is turning me off F1 a lot

Surprisingly I like the idea.
If this was implemented in 2012, meaning Alonso won the title and not Vettel, no one would be complaining.

Why not try something new to keep fans tuned in until the end. Rather than everyone losing interest with 4/5 races to go like this year.

I think another method, such as the reverse grids, should be used rather than double points. Yas Marina is frankly not a great circuit for racing, and isn't going to be one to provide much of a spectacle.

Also, Vettel already won FOUR races before the end, so it wouldn't even matter if the double points were there.

I think this should be rethought, perhaps a joker card or something should be put in place, to mix up the racing throughout the season, rather than just at the end.

Now this will be no sport but lottery!

Please, someone make petition on change.org so people can sign it (I cant because of my non native english skills). We will spread it all over the internet

If this was implemented in 2012, meaning Alonso won the title and not Vettel, no one would be complaining.

Why not try something new to keep fans tuned in until the end. Rather than everyone losing interest with 4/5 races to go like this year.
Instead we would of seen the championship decided on the first lap with Vettel's spin. Arguably seeing Vettel spinning, getting damage and then climbing up the field in changing conditions was far more entertaining than seeing Alonso drive away with the title.

We would of lost the dramatic '08 finale and the crazy '09 Brawn season. And it wouldn't of helped this year anyways.

I'm more interested in seeing this cost gap finally being applied and for the regulations to be freed up to allow teams more room for different engineering solutions, not this idea of one such race means more simply because its the last., it doesn't do anything for me.

The only people that lost interest at all this year, are the ones who won't follow it for the next 5 years on anyway - the fickle fans.

The difference is that a rule like this will push away all the real fans who follow the sport for more than just who wins the championship.

wait a minute, this is official ? i have been offline some time

James Allen's take on the new points rule -
Double points for the last race of the season This is pure Hollywood. But is it really entertaining or does it cause more problems than it solves?
If this rule had been in place in recent years, Lewis Hamilton would have lost the title to Felipe Massa, Fernando Alonso would have won in 2012, so two of the most exciting races of recent times would have been killed as spectacles by the weight of numbers.
I’m not sure it would have made this year any more interesting.
F1 was right to explore things like DRS, as overtaking was nigh on impossible. It perhaps went too far, as the tyres certainly did, but there is a line which the sport shouldn’t cross otherwise it gets like WWF wrestling. And this final race points idea is dangerously close to crossing it. 50 points for a race win is absurd.
What it also does is open the door for some races to be “more equal than others”. There is a financial premium for the final race of the season already, but this adds to it, putting more attention on the showdown.
With diminishing returns from TV rights, the sport has been aggressively pursuing race hosting fees as a revenue growth area and playing around with points is another way to add some value to the promoter.
I think it will play badly with fans and – like that nutty tyre idea in 2005 – will be shortlived.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2013/12/some-notes-on-the-new-f1-rule-changes/

Probably couldn't of said it better myself.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back