Felipe Massa

Felipe-Massa-Ferrari_2675324.jpg
~

Felipe Massa believes that Formula One has got itself into a mess by allowing too many drivers on the grid who are there due to money not talent.

In the past few years, there have been an increase in the number of drivers in the sport who have either arrived or been able to stay on because they have wealthy backers rather than because they can achieve results.

Ahead of the coming season, veteran Rubens Barrichello is believed to have lost his spot at Williams due to the fact that he couldn't provide the same sponsorship money as compatriot Bruno Senna who replaced him.

Meanwhile over at HRT, the Spanish outfit are believed to be holding out for a driver with considerable financial clout to partner Pedro de la Rosa despite Tonio Luizzi having a contract in place for this year.
It's crazy times says Massa.

"Today, there are only four teams that can afford to operate without drivers that bring money," the 30-year-old told Totalrace.

"It's an absurd situation and I don't think it's good for F1 and especially the young drivers.
"Even if you get very good results in the formulas below, you either have to be lucky or have money in order to get a seat. That's not F1."

source

Soon the F1 grid will be full of Dubai rich kids and the best in the world will be left in the sidelines, it is ridiculous how somebody as slow as Chandok or Yamamoto gets anywhere near an F1 race, let alone a test.

Someone forgetting the history of F1 here?

We are just spoiled by the little margin between teams in the late 2000's and therefor the new teams are "waaaay too slow".
The same goes for pay-drivers, in the 2000's there was very little paydrivers compared to earlier, and now. We are just spoiled. It is tougher economic times, guys with money are important. If that's a big problem, then go for the budget cap...

to some extent i agree, pay drivers shouldn't be on the "exclusive" F1 Grid, it should be earned by each series the drivers are in to earn a seat on F1, however, with everything going on in this world today (money issues) you can understand less fortunate teams will look for payed drivers (that have some talent and and experience in open wheelers) it has to be done for the survival of the team, don't forget they also have to pay for the expensive cars, the transport of all the staff, and pay wages each year to the 100+ Staff for each team.

it's just one of those things, it happens and right now we're seeing a few drivers, to be honest it doesn't concern me to much as it's not out of control (yet).

he is right... Maldonado is an awful driver! But oh, hello, he has half the wealth of Venezuela behind him he's guaranteed a drive until PDVSA pull the plug! someone coudl dominate GP2 this season, and i mean every single round, but if they have got there just on merit, with no purse behind them, if they dont find a brilliant link-up, they will not make it into F1 and that season will just become part of GP2 history, and a "what might have been" story..

he is right... Maldonado is an awful driver! But oh, hello, he has half the wealth of Venezuela behind him he's guaranteed a drive until PDVSA pull the plug! someone coudl dominate GP2 this season, and i mean every single round, but if they have got there just on merit, with no purse behind them, if they dont find a brilliant link-up, they will not make it into F1 and that season will just become part of GP2 history, and a "what might have been" story..

Hmm really...

1. Rosberg

1. Lewis Hamilton

1. Timo Glock

1. Pantano - Only guy that supports your argument.

1. Hulkenberg

1. Maldonado

1. Grosjean

Your logic is flawed. You don´t get sponsors if you are not quick,
you don´t get a seat in GP2 if you are not quick. You don´t win championships if you are not quick.

Maldo beat Perez and Bianchi, Van De Garde, Grosjean.
Bianchi was in the well known team ART that has taken many titles. (Rosberg, Hamilton, Hulkenberg)

The team Maldonado drove for won it´s FIRST ever title in GP2 for the team.
But i guess he sucks despite beating the guys above who was in much better teams on paper.

Do you want to guess who has the most wins in the history of GP2? Yes it´s Maldonado...

Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo has warned Felipe Massa that he must "do something great" to retain his seat at Ferrari beyond this season.
13099.2.jpg

Massa has been under pressure after a disappointing season in 2011 when he scored less than half the points of team-mate Fernando Alonso and never finished a race higher than fifth. Speaking during the launch of the new Ferrari F2012 Montezemolo said that the car was going to give Massa the best opportunity to prove himself.

"Massa has to do something great, and something special, after a non-positive season," Montezemolo said. "We are offering him the best conditions to do a great job."

With his contract running out at the end of the season Massa admits that it is a crucial year for him, but insists he is in a positive frame of mind to improve.

"It is going to be an important year for me and whole team, 2012, this is going to be the victory year," Massa said. "We want to fight to get the championship back. I want to be believe in my skills and our car and this is the right thing to do. We want to see Ferrari winning as often as possible; here I feel a strength, I'm focused on winning.

There's plenty of positive things in my head and I want to start in the right way and get to the end of the championship in a better way."

source

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea