F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat

Like my Brazilian buddy above, I rated him a 4, but I think that's a generous assessment. He's definitely at risk of losing his seat and he has nobody but himself to blame. Aggressive driving, poor decisions in traffic, he really hasn't done himself any favors. Maybe Red Bull didn't do a good enough job grooming him, who knows? I think it's safe to say he would be better off somewhere like the WEC. You have a limited window to impress in F1, and he's definitely way past it.

It is easy to understand how Kvyat lost composure and self-confidence after he was demoted. And yet it is hard to feel sympathy for him with his attitude in the media.
The problem is that coupled with his midling driving skill he brings arrogance and stupidity as a package, not a great combo to be honest.
Babylon 5 fan?

I don't take any pleasure in this rating, as I rather like Daniil and still believe there is a pretty damn quick driver in there somewhere, but he's a '1' for me.

He's getting his clocked cleaned by Sainz (35 to 4 in points, despite Sainz having 4 retirements and Kvyat only 3), but he's also found a way to make himself a nuisance to others on track.

In my estimation, he's got the "yips" really bad - I was really hoping to see a bounce back year out of Daniil to get his career back on track, but I am beginning to think this is likely the end for him in F1 (and, yips or not, his performance justifies this). Hopefully he can move into sportscars or something and carve out a nice career, as I do think he has some natural talent but perhaps not the mental game to go along with it to succeed under the F1 spotlight.

Just noticed a couple folks voted him a "10". Would really like to hear their justification, not for harassment, but rather honest discussion.

Sadly, he's one of those wasted, burnt-out talents. Impressive form in his early F1 days, but that switch to Red Bull and back to Toro Rosso just killed him off. He's had Verstappen put in front of him, and his desperate attempts to prove his worth result in desaster more often than not.

I'd be really surprised if Red Bull didn't drop him for Gasly in 2018. On the other hand, I could see him really flourishing if he landed basically any other race seat. Without the Red Bull F1 pressure, he might be a solid addition to any WEC or Formula E team.
Gasly is not ready, he's been **** in Super Formula.

I don't think his demotion "ruined" anything - he earned that demotion and hasn't really overcome the attitude or behavior that led to it. He continues to repeat the same mistakes. I don't dislike him, but neither do I think he's been treated unfairly.

Something about this guy I like. I rated him a "1" because he is part of the vast Russian Conspiracy to take the United States down. :laugh:

But seriously, I think he was dealt a raw deal by Red Bull. No way is he *less* talented than Max Verstappen (can we get a negative rating for him?). Granted, he's no Carlos Sainz (who is #2 this year, to Alonso), but then again, who is? Carlos is the Max that Northern Europe (especially you Martin Brundle, :cautious:) forgot about. Only the rest of the world knows. So bugger off media sycophants. :thumbsup:

But back to Danny. I like the Russians. They remind me of Americans in my generation (that's old) who didn't take crap from anyone in power (except Putin :unsure:). I wonder if Danny was a bit young and scared to overcome the onslaught of negativity that hit him. Much of it he brought on himself. I'm frankly quite surprised that STR kept him. Does he have a pocket sponsor? lol. He's one of those guys to keep an eye on, because if he can overcome this, he will not only be more popular, except with the F1 press, but he will have a very interesting story to tell.

It's crazy to think where Red Bull were with their driver program in 2014. they had Vettel, Ricciardo, JEV and Kvyat in F1, Verstappen and Sainz "F1 ready" with Alex Lynn and Gasly set as the promising next generation. They ended up dumping Verne and letting Lynn because the future was so bright. Fast forward 3 years and they can't risk dumping Kvyat because behind Gasly, the cupboard is bare.

Daniil is quick, only losing out to Sainz 6-5 in the quali battle by an average of .037. His lack of consistency in races and especially on the first lap (I count 5 first lap incidents this year) has been his undoing all year. I think part of that comes from feeling like he has something to prove after the Red Bull demotion, but now in his 5th year of F1 these kind of mistakes are just too frequent and unforgivable.

Maybe a change of scenery could do him good. If Massa retires and Martini want to launch a Vodka in Russia he could start fresh with Williams, but right now he's probably on the verge of his F1 career being over.

in 2015 seasons, he's beat daniel ricciardo on final classification, i think the pace is good, but sometimes he's Made a very dangerous mistake. Maybe it was due onsite last season with max

Ah crap, It's 5 in the morning, I just woke up and thought this one was about Daniel Ricciardo! I voted 6 or so, this other guy is a loon and is constantly getting stop and go's when in last place??

Being swapped for max Verstappen killed his career, he's performing like a Maldonado and probably won't be in F1 for much longer.

Ive rated him a 2, I dont think his demotion has any bearing on where he is now, as an F1 driver he is suppose to be at the pinnacle of motorsport by virtue of his racecraft and ability, but his lack of self control shows an immaturity that will be his downfall from the highest level of motorsport.

The biggest problem Daniil faces is the long term damage he is doing to his reputation by consistently displaying poor judgement while battling for position so early in the race, when a more mature driver would realise there is time to set up the pass and execute it safely, right now he is his own worst enemy, but I feel it's all too late for Daniil Kyvat to repair the damage done.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back