F1 Half Term Report: Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat.jpg

Daniil Kvyat, of Toro Rosso fame, is today’s driver up for the community vote treatment.

The Russian has had a turbulent career in Formula One since making his debut in the sport back in 2013. Starting out in the prolific Toro Rosso team as a Red Bull junior driver, Kvyat soon found himself cast into the spotlight as a replacement for the outgoing four time World Champion Sebastian Vettel, however in a case of right place, wrong time, Kvyat’s tenure at the Milton Keynes squad wouldn’t be a happy one, with former team Toro Rosso stepping back into the breach to rescue a career potentially over before it even had a chance to begin.

Unfortunately Kvyat can find himself involved in unnecessary accidents more often than he should, and with a talented young charger like Carlos Sainz alongside him at Toro Rosso, it will take all the 23-year-old’s speed and experience to remain in Grand Prix racing.

Vote now to tell us how you rate the first half of 2017 for Daniil Kvyat, and leave a comment below!

For more from the world of Formula One, check out the Formula One sub forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved with our awesome community..

Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat 2.jpg
Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat 3.jpg
Rate the Grid - Daniil Kvyat 4.jpg

Last edited:
cyka

Earlier in the year he was doing okay, getting the vast majority of bad luck within the team (just like Verstappen at RB) while keeping pace with a largely unimpressive Sainz. Now he's reverted to his usual crashy form.

The sooner Gasly replaces him, the better.

Red Bull ruined his career. Vergne should have been promoted instead of Kvyat when Vettel left, as it was too early for the Russian. He was a bit out of his depth at Red Bull, and the Verstappen swap didn't help. Now overdriving, he's not doing himself any favours. Formula E anyone?

Sadly, he's one of those wasted, burnt-out talents. Impressive form in his early F1 days, but that switch to Red Bull and back to Toro Rosso just killed him off. He's had Verstappen put in front of him, and his desperate attempts to prove his worth result in desaster more often than not.

I'd be really surprised if Red Bull didn't drop him for Gasly in 2018. On the other hand, I could see him really flourishing if he landed basically any other race seat. Without the Red Bull F1 pressure, he might be a solid addition to any WEC or Formula E team.

F1 saw worse drivers than Kyivat. He had a good potential and showed some good stuff back in his rookie days but the driver swap with Verstappen at RB killed his morale and he never raced like he did before. Sainz jr is by far more consistent and faster. 2017 could be the last year for Daniil in F1: Gasly is making is way up to F1 and he'll probably replace him at Toro Rosso and I don't see,at the moment, any other team that can offer him a seat... Maybe some backmarkers but honestly is difficult...

I didn't comment on the other drivers so far as it's difficult to rate a driver sometimes if they are in a poor car, you can drive your heart out and still look terrible if the car underneath you is not delivering the goods.

However....with Kyvat it's a slightly different matter. I feel Red Bull maybe handled the situation badly when they swapped him over with Verstappen but his mental toughness got him through that episode and I admire him for that at least.

He looked more settled at Toro Rosso to start with but as @Jimlaad mentions he seems to be overdriving at the moment and just needs to calm down. The talent is there he just needs to take a step back and regroup, the car is points finishing material and he needs to make the best use of it without trying to throw it at the scenery.

Oddly now I think about it, at the British GP on Friday he was really hanging onto the car, locking brakes, the car looked very lively. Whether it's a setup trait he likes I don't know but it looked hard work!

Not sure if he'll be dropped for 2018 or not, he has a lot of financial backing but we'll see what happens after silly season...

Red Bull ruined his career. Vergne should have been promoted instead of Kvyat when Vettel left, as it was too early for the Russian. He was a bit out of his depth at Red Bull, and the Verstappen swap didn't help. Now overdriving, he's not doing himself any favours. Formula E anyone?
Welcome to Red Bull, sadly. Ruined two careers in one go.

His worst problem isn't a lack of talent, he's not the most gifted but also not the least gifted driver on the grid.
The problem is that coupled with his midling driving skill he brings arrogance and stupidity as a package, not a great combo to be honest.

His pace is ok, but the big problem is his attitude. It stinks. Nothing's ever his fault. Without acknowledging the things that he can change, he will never improve as a driver.

I'd rate him 4,

but I still don't know who would finish what first:

Me drinking a Russian vodka bottle or Daniil finishing a race with car unharmed.

Someday I'll put this into test.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 373 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing