F1 2017 F1 2017 Career Trailer and Fresh Details Released

F1 2017 The Game (Codemasters)

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
F1 2017 Career Trailer Released.jpg

A brand new gameplay trailer for F1 2017 has been released, showcasing the expanded career mode coming with the latest official FIA Formula One World Championship title.

Building on what is already a very successful foundation laid down by F1 2016, the new official Formula One game looks set to take every element of the original title up another notch, in a bid to become the biggest and most complete Formula One game since the series handed over to Codemasters ahead of the 2010 racing season.

According to the blog post that released alongside the latest trailer, F1 2017 looks set to have almost 4 and a half times the number of Research and Development upgrades (115 in total) than the 2016 edition of the game, sitting alongside new features and practice procedures that can be experienced within the career mode.

Codemasters state that Research and Development consists of four different categories that you’ll able to upgrade, Powertrain, Chassis, Aerodynamics and Durability, though you can go with the ‘Recommended Upgrade’ if this is something that you don’t want to think about too much.

You’ll also need to manage the six key components which each make up a modern F1 power unit, as well as work to develop team skills such as pit stop times, Research and Development speed and new part reliability.

In addition to the newly expanded career mode and the return of classic content to the game, Silverstone, Bahrain, Circuit of the Americas and Suzuka will also have alternative short layouts available to drive, plus a night version of the historic Monaco Grand Prix layout.

Check out the most recent trailer below:

Speaking at the launch of the latest gameplay trailer, Creative Director Lee Mather had the following to say;

“The Career Mode was a big hit last year and we are building on those incredibly strong foundations to create an even deeper, more rounded experience for F1 2017. We have added female driver avatars, new paddock locations and a new character as well as greatly increasing the scope for developing your team and car. All of this, we feel, combined with the addition of the iconic classic cars this year, means that F1 2017 offers gamers the ultimate F1 experience yet.”

Missed the earlier gameplay trailers? Check them out below:
Because everyone loves a good trailer, right?

Oh and just in case you missed it, here are all the cars coming to the game as part of the 'Classic Content' in F1 2017:
  • 1988 McLaren MP4/4
  • 1991 McLaren MP4/6
  • 1992 Williams FW14B
  • 1995 Ferrari 412 T2
  • 1996 Williams FW18
  • 1998 McLaren MP4-13
  • 2002 Ferrari F2002
  • 2004 Ferrari F2004
  • 2006 Renault R26
  • 2007 Ferrari F2007
  • 2008 McLaren MP4-23
  • 2010 Red Bull Racing RB6

Formula One 2017 will be released for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC on August 25th.

The Formula One 2017 sub forum here at RaceDepartment is the place to be for all the latest news and discussions regarding the latest of the Formula One franchise of officially licenced games. Check in to keep track of the news and join in the discussion, and be sure to check out our racing club once the game releases to the public later this year!

Looking forward to F1 2017? Do you find an immersive career mode an essential ingredient for a racing game, or do you just prefer to hit the track and race? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
As someone who's usually not big into F1 but was hoping for a good game regardless, I harped on this one for not showing much actual gameplay for this long. Well, now they have, and I'm solidly impressed. I'm glad that, like the old days, they're able to go on a bit of a tangent for fun's sake here with the extra courses and cars. Plus, female drivers being an option now eliminates one little nitpick that always grated at me, especially having been introduced to racing games - and motorsports overall - by my mother's interest in NASCAR when I was young. (And early confirmation that the pre-order car will be later DLC eases my concerns a bit.)

Looking pretty good actually, I wasn't planning to pick it up, but I might do it after all. The 2016 game is a good base to improve on, that's for sure. Now they added more content and modes, even deeper R&D, component limit which is very neat. Hopefully they improved the FFB which was acceptable in 2016, but not perfect. I would really like them to add fully manual pit lane for exiting, entering and pit stop.

HRT... No, Caterh... hmm, Manor... eh...

There are no small teams anymore :/ Only sorta small team now are Sauber, but they are not likable anymore :(
Yeah, I like to start my Career off in a "small" team. And as you mentioned Sauber are not likeable much anymore. Probably go with Renault at the end of the day because I feel like its my duty as a Brit to replace Palmer and show the F1 world we aren't THAT bad...

How about with Aı ? Are they will be faster and harder ?

I'll add to that question by asking, does the AI still ram you off the road when they are DRSing past you? I hated that in the previous game. In fact it just happened to me yesterday. One movement, well in advance, left room. AI swerved too late and spun me off. Sure I was really slow (was running out of rubber), but I had the right to defend myself.

In addition to the newly expanded career mode and the return of classic content to the game, Silverstone, Bahrain, Circuit of the Americas and Suzuka will also have alternative short layouts available to drive

That's so realistic. :laugh:

According to the blog post that released alongside the latest trailer, F1 2017 looks set to have almost 4 and a half times the number of Research and Development upgrades (115 in total) than the 2016 edition of the game, sitting alongside new features and practice procedures that can be experienced within the career mode.
:thumbsup: Have not been able to play career, but will get a crack at all the cars this weekend. This is good stuff. The only problem with career is, if you run in a league, you can't get any decent practice because there is no option to run "equal" cars. Hope that is changed. But I know it sort of defeats the purpose of having a "career" in the first place. I thought the little practice tests were extremely innovative and helpful.

Without a proper handling model, this game will continue to be rejected by the PC community and remain a niche market. Fortunately, it the model has improved massively. I'm still not sure about whether there is a decent tire model, as flat spots are not there, tire wear is entirely predictable and thus fake, and setups are useless, as usual. (Not quite useless, but not tied to reality either). They also need telemetry, but the rock solid UDP settings now remain and will probably be picked up by 3rd parties. That's a big deal is a series that's all about stats and engineers.

I'll add to that question by asking, does the AI still ram you off the road when they are DRSing past you? I hated that in the previous game. In fact it just happened to me yesterday. One movement, well in advance, left room. AI swerved too late and spun me off. Sure I was really slow (was running out of rubber), but I had the right to defend myself.

Sorry for the double. This has not happened to me in testing, but I have had limited interaction with A.I. on straights. It was a well known issue, though (the Nico Rosberg solution, from Codies, lol.) I have to practically get on the grass when being passed in a DRS zone. Oh, and now there is a slider for the A.I. strength (to 100 I think) so they are more nuanced. I run at 93% so I can avoid the 107% rule. lol.

I hope they put the sound of the whistle (turbo) in this version, the engine sound of F1 2017 (real world) is incredible

Check. (But the engines still have no choice but to sound like crap).

Hopefully they improved the FFB which was acceptable in 2016, but not perfect. I would really like them to add fully manual pit lane for exiting, entering and pit stop.

Check. Pit limiter is mandatory button now, but the game still takes control after the line (even though you have to remember the button on exit) So, check sorta I guess. But the Assetto model is the gold standard.

F1 2016 was the best of the serie, hands down.
I hope they adjusted the race pace to match the real one: in the game there was too little gap between qualifying lap times and race pace, while in rl it's more than 3s due to fuel management, tyre wear and other little things.
I remember going full attack the whole race like a kart race: no lifting and very very limited fuel management, the AI didn't even have tyre wear according to their lap times.

That's so realistic. :laugh:

:thumbsup: Have not been able to play career, but will get a crack at all the cars this weekend. This is good stuff. The only problem with career is, if you run in a league, you can't get any decent practice because there is no option to run "equal" cars. Hope that is changed. But I know it sort of defeats the purpose of having a "career" in the first place. I thought the little practice tests were extremely innovative and helpful.

Without a proper handling model, this game will continue to be rejected by the PC community and remain a niche market. Fortunately, it the model has improved massively. I'm still not sure about whether there is a decent tire model, as flat spots are not there, tire wear is entirely predictable and thus fake, and setups are useless, as usual. (Not quite useless, but not tied to reality either). They also need telemetry, but the rock solid UDP settings now remain and will probably be picked up by 3rd parties. That's a big deal is a series that's all about stats and engineers.
F1 games are much bigger than any sim short of maybe Rfactor, so you can't really call them niches. I personally think there's no need to make a game unnecessary difficult and force people to buy 200$ wheels to play the games.

I didn't get hyped for F1 2016, as it looked better than everything else, but didn't have that extra bit.

Now with this we have so much more, I'm definitely getting it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back