F1 2016 WIP Thread

@TheFlamingRed

In your own opinion would you start a new season with this mod and will you be starting from the start again or from saved career. Just curious. :)

This mod, in terms of setting up you and your opponents team Levels, works better the further into your 10 seasons you are. So really, I recommended installing it over a save you have already got some years into - as you're more likely to feel the results which my modifications make.

The reason for that is - in Season 1 - 4, there is (a) more of an initial spread of the cars (All vanilla Cars are spread out by about two seconds. In vanilla, Sauber, Manor and Renault are already given upgrade boosts over The other teams, in the end, the gap between the top teams and the back markers is down to about 1 second average)and (b) all the AI have upgraded their cars at different speeds. Between these two, your Season 1 of a new game, isn't going to feel too much different then from vanilla. But as you get to season 2/3/4 onwards you should start to see the shifts in the AI's speed based on what level of car they're using.

So if you want to use this mod to Prevent your Fully upgraded Manor (or whichever car you drive) from helplessly falling to the back of the grid as the AI catches up with you, then go ahead and install this mod over your current Career.

That all being said, if you wish to take full advantage of Challenge Mode - which is basically an honour system preventing you from over rushing your upgrades by making your assigned car Level an outcome of how many resource points you save through a season (by not spending them)- then you will want to start a new game.

Make sure you backup your Careers in Steam/userdata if you wish to use my mod (and are attached to your current save). As this is a mod is quite large, and it takes ages to play through lots of seasons, my testing has been a little limited - we should consider the mod as in Beta for now - as I will undoubtedly have to balance it in the future (as well as add some desired features to it). Good news is that any updates or hot fixes won't require a new game either.

Edit: Oh, its uploaded btw.
Edit 2: Okay, its been taken down by an admin because I cannot share from an external site, nor can I upload a >300MB file to Race Department. But at least I'm enjoying the mod :p.

Last edited:
Why not release it in 3 parts?
Or wait, what about , ah, no, not MEGA, it's bulls**t, wait, wait, wait, a, now I have it:
https://www.mediafire.com/

I would release it in parts, but I cannot seem to upload .z01 files, which are the divided files off of zip archives.

Media fire is fine, but then so is me hosting it within google drive. It appears I am not allowed to upload or include links - which I must assume includes MediaFire

Edit: Trying winrar now, seeing if that will work.

I would release it in parts, but I cannot seem to upload .z01 files, which are the divided files off of zip archives.

Media fire is fine, but then so is me hosting it within google drive. It appears I am not allowed to upload or include links - which I must assume includes MediaFire

Edit: Trying winrar now, seeing if that will work.
If I'm correct WinRAR does the parting in like .part1.zip, so you should be okay.

Anyone interested in making race suits, race crew, garage, etc. ? WIP BMW Sauber

Attachments

• 20161004105410_1.jpg
    20161004105410_1.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 293
Evening all.

I have been working on overhauling "Not Created Equal" with the intent of adding several new features.
  1. Allowing players to customise the starting performance of a New Season's Car by both the amount and the areas they wish to invest in (based on Resource points earned). In fact, all teams are given a very very slow basic car template - and each teams standings and resource points are used to build on this template to create a faster car.
  2. Engine Selection - meaning you are not stuck with a Honda Engine forever if it continues to be really bad - you can sign up to have a different engine (including new engines)
  3. Engines Develop Independently from the teams each season - meaning that the disaster that is a Honda Engine may well become the best engine in F1 come 5 Seasons in).
  4. Phasing out the vanilla in game research each season (making vanilla RnD less of a big deal - and...).
  5. Replacing RnD with a separate system for you to provide upgrades to your car on a race by race basis (though some upgrades may take many races to develop - and performance of the upgrades will vary). Use your experience and teams infastructure to determine which upgrades are worth investing in or not.
  6. Using the new upgrade system, most components added will be lost at the end of the season, meaning you will have to keep investing in this new RnD to keep current for all 10 seasons, not just the first few.
  7. 2nd Driver Penalty - If you are the second driver for a team, your teammate gets priority over upgrades which add performance. As such, your car will naturally be a few tenths slower then his, until you become the team leader.
  8. Car to Track Suitability - Depending how you build your car at the start of the season, some tracks may benefit your car more then others. A small additional penalty / bonus is applied if your car is really suited or unsuited to a track.
  9. Creating random / scripted events which impact the teams (e.g., Manor get a new owner who invests heavily into the team, improving their starting performance next season. e.g., Mercedes withdraw their engines to all other teams who will have to run different engines next season. e.g., Williams have added an upgrade to their car which makes them untouchable for the first few races of a season, but the FIA deem this as unfair so ban this system for the remainder of the system. etc., etc.,)
The Bad News
While I have the Infrastructure to make all this possible, It's probably gonna take about 5 months for me to do when I consider how much work I have going on naturally, the holiday season coming up and the fact I'll actually be playing games as well as building the mod.

Because of the complexity of the mod, I am designing it in an external program which the player can then use to determine their builds etc, and Petar Tasev has already helped the project hugely by providing me a custom erp compiler so that builds, research and events can be exported to F1 2016 between each and every race, instead of you having to manually move about files at the end of a season.

However, if you want to help me reduce that time frame, there's a couple of areas which others who are modding may be able to help me.

1. A User Interface / Graphic Creator - I make no illusions to my graphical design skills; it is Zero - I am neither quick at it, nor will be able to make it anyway pleasing to a persons eye. I can happily code putting a button into the program and making it do things, I simply cannot create any sort of astetic button to save my life. So if someone out there wants to come and make screens, buttons, icons, bars for charts - and can suggest ways to display data, information and inputs so that they're intuitive, then all help is welcome.
  2. A Content Writer - I can do this, but alas, it takes time which I could be spending implementing features. The Research Items, the Random Events and a couple of other bits and pieces would need to be given at the very least, flavour text such that they make sense. So if you're feeling creative and know a bit about F1 tech, then help is indeed welcome.
There will probably be some other bits and pieces as I go through the development of this, so I'll keep ya'll posted if something comes up.

Final note: If someone can work out a way to rearrange the order of the tracks each season - that would be an awesome as it will let me add an extra feature to this mod.

Evening all.

I have been working on overhauling "Not Created Equal" with the intent of adding several new features.
  1. Allowing players to customise the starting performance of a New Season's Car by both the amount and the areas they wish to invest in (based on Resource points earned). In fact, all teams are given a very very slow basic car template - and each teams standings and resource points are used to build on this template to create a faster car.
  2. Engine Selection - meaning you are not stuck with a Honda Engine forever if it continues to be really bad - you can sign up to have a different engine (including new engines)
  3. Engines Develop Independently from the teams each season - meaning that the disaster that is a Honda Engine may well become the best engine in F1 come 5 Seasons in).
  4. Phasing out the vanilla in game research each season (making vanilla RnD less of a big deal - and...).
  5. Replacing RnD with a separate system for you to provide upgrades to your car on a race by race basis (though some upgrades may take many races to develop - and performance of the upgrades will vary). Use your experience and teams infastructure to determine which upgrades are worth investing in or not.
  6. Using the new upgrade system, most components added will be lost at the end of the season, meaning you will have to keep investing in this new RnD to keep current for all 10 seasons, not just the first few.
  7. 2nd Driver Penalty - If you are the second driver for a team, your teammate gets priority over upgrades which add performance. As such, your car will naturally be a few tenths slower then his, until you become the team leader.
  8. Car to Track Suitability - Depending how you build your car at the start of the season, some tracks may benefit your car more then others. A small additional penalty / bonus is applied if your car is really suited or unsuited to a track.
  9. Creating random / scripted events which impact the teams (e.g., Manor get a new owner who invests heavily into the team, improving their starting performance next season. e.g., Mercedes withdraw their engines to all other teams who will have to run different engines next season. e.g., Williams have added an upgrade to their car which makes them untouchable for the first few races of a season, but the FIA deem this as unfair so ban this system for the remainder of the system. etc., etc.,)
The Bad News
While I have the Infrastructure to make all this possible, It's probably gonna take about 5 months for me to do when I consider how much work I have going on naturally, the holiday season coming up and the fact I'll actually be playing games as well as building the mod.

Because of the complexity of the mod, I am designing it in an external program which the player can then use to determine their builds etc, and Petar Tasev has already helped the project hugely by providing me a custom erp compiler so that builds, research and events can be exported to F1 2016 between each and every race, instead of you having to manually move about files at the end of a season.

However, if you want to help me reduce that time frame, there's a couple of areas which others who are modding may be able to help me.

1. A User Interface / Graphic Creator - I make no illusions to my graphical design skills; it is Zero - I am neither quick at it, nor will be able to make it anyway pleasing to a persons eye. I can happily code putting a button into the program and making it do things, I simply cannot create any sort of astetic button to save my life. So if someone out there wants to come and make screens, buttons, icons, bars for charts - and can suggest ways to display data, information and inputs so that they're intuitive, then all help is welcome.
  2. A Content Writer - I can do this, but alas, it takes time which I could be spending implementing features. The Research Items, the Random Events and a couple of other bits and pieces would need to be given at the very least, flavour text such that they make sense. So if you're feeling creative and know a bit about F1 tech, then help is indeed welcome.
There will probably be some other bits and pieces as I go through the development of this, so I'll keep ya'll posted if something comes up.

Final note: If someone can work out a way to rearrange the order of the tracks each season - that would be an awesome as it will let me add an extra feature to this mod.
I can do some design with photoshop.

Track specific AI performance.

The file involved is quite large so we will need the "custom ERP compiler" from Petar to be able to share.

Firstly you need to extract the "track.brakelinesettings.xml" from the "track.erp" file located in asset_groups > enviroment_package > tracks > trackname > wep.

You can then edit the braking modifiers or curvature modifiers. As the braking points of the AI is quite good I didn't bother with those.

If you decrease the curvature modifier by 0.04 you get about a 1 second slower laptime by the AI on an average track with a laptime around 1 :30.

The bad news is you have to do it for each corner as well as each grip level.

In the file there is a top half (dry) and a bottom half (wet). I didn't bother with the wet as I'm more competitive in the wet :sneaky:

Below is the settings for one (dry) corner. You need to now change the curvature modifiers from 1.03 to 0.99 and 1.04 to 1 and so on.

ScreenHunter_210 Oct. 11 09.54.jpg

Thanks for this, koeloe! :thumbsup:

Just one thing, though. Where do I get the ERP Compiler? I've checked Petar's website and I can't see it listed.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean the ERP Archiver? I've just managed to export the XML with that.

Edit #2: Wow, it works. Was able to keep up with the AI and match my teammate's laptimes. I think this game has just been saved for me, thank you so much! It's so much quicker than editing the old track difficulties.xml in F1 2014 too, took me a month to perfect that for my skill level.

As a side note, I don't play multiplayer so I'm assuming I'm safe from being "banned" for editing these files, right? I saw someone on the official Codies forum say he got banned for using a performance/grip mod, but I'm assuming he was using it online. I don't know what banning entails, I'm hoping it doesn't mean you lose access to the game altogether, and it's just a banning from the multiplayer servers...?

Last edited:
I can do some design with photoshop.

Awesome, I am currently sketching the pages/options so I'll post them up here probably next week (am working Thursday/Friday/Saturday) so we have an idea of what we're working towards.

Track specific AI performance.

The file involved is quite large so we will need the "custom ERP compiler" from Petar to be able to share.

Firstly you need to extract the "track.brakelinesettings.xml" from the "track.erp" file located in asset_groups > enviroment_package > tracks > trackname > wep.

You can then edit the braking modifiers or curvature modifiers. As the braking points of the AI is quite good I didn't bother with those.

If you decrease the curvature modifier by 0.04 you get about a 1 second slower laptime by the AI on an average track with a laptime around 1 :30.

The bad news is you have to do it for each corner as well as each grip level.

In the file there is a top half (dry) and a bottom half (wet). I didn't bother with the wet as I'm more competitive in the wet :sneaky:

Below is the settings for one (dry) corner. You need to now change the curvature modifiers from 1.03 to 0.99 and 1.04 to 1 and so on.

View attachment 156004
Awesome, notepads ++ find and replace all will make that about 10 clicks instead of manually adjusting the figure. Wonder if I can add a difficulty slider to my mod which adjusts these figures automatically. Will see about it.

The biggest problem is, knowing how quick to set the AI before having a race. It be nice if the game actually auto adjusts the difficulty based on your average recorded pace - so you're fighting the right cars. Maybe possible with a lot of work.

Thanks for this, koeloe! :thumbsup:

Just one thing, though. Where do I get the ERP Compiler? I've checked Petar's website and I can't see it listed.

Edit: Oh wait, you mean the ERP Archiver? I've just managed to export the XML with that.

Edit #2: Wow, it works. Was able to keep up with the AI and match my teammate's laptimes. I think this game has just been saved for me, thank you so much! It's so much quicker than editing the old track difficulties.xml in F1 2014 too, took me a month to perfect that for my skill level.

As a side note, I don't play multiplayer so I'm assuming I'm safe from being "banned" for editing these files, right? I saw someone on the official Codies forum say he got banned for using a performance/grip mod, but I'm assuming he was using it online. I don't know what banning entails, I'm hoping it doesn't mean you lose access to the game altogether, and it's just a banning from the multiplayer servers...?

I don't believe you get banned, or that there's a banning feature,

I do believe that the game checks the integrity of some files (definitely performance) so that it won't load you into a multiplayer setting if you've files don't match the data on code masters servers. So you're gonna want to revert back whenever you play online.

I've found something a bit odd. As far as I've seen, editing the curvature_modifiers values for slicks has an effect. But I've just tried increasing the values for wets to try and make the AI faster at China in the rain, and there's been no effect whatsoever. I've gone so far as to increase the amounts by up to 0.30 or 0.40 just to see if there's any effect at all, and there isn't.

No matter how many times I increase the values, Q1 in full wet conditions has times ranging from 1:57 at the front to 2:00 at the back. And I keep getting into the top 4 in Q1 in a Manor because my times are in the 1:57-1:58 range, yet I should be at the back. Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm down for some scribing if you need it.

Awesome, thanks :)

I need to get some more of of the prototype code done before I know the details on what it is I'm after :) so will let you know in time.

I've found something a bit odd. As far as I've seen, editing the curvature_modifiers values for slicks has an effect. But I've just tried increasing the values for wets to try and make the AI faster at China in the rain, and there's been no effect whatsoever. I've gone so far as to increase the amounts by up to 0.30 or 0.40 just to see if there's any effect at all, and there isn't.

No matter how many times I increase the values, Q1 in full wet conditions has times ranging from 1:57 at the front to 2:00 at the back. And I keep getting into the top 4 in Q1 in a Manor because my times are in the 1:57-1:58 range, yet I should be at the back. Any ideas?

If you want to see if they are working at all, raise them to 3.00 or 4.00 and watch the ai from the monitor view during a wet qualy run.

Also, try adjusting the Slicks values again to see if they also affect the wet! (There have been lots of instances of code left in which does completely nothing - they ma have originally had a wet AI profile but later used an algorithm to simply modify the dry curvature --- I had a similar proble,m with my mod, as when I change a cars starting performance, it has an effect on the. AI, but when I change the upgrade amounts, the AI takes no notice of it whatsoever)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.