F1 2014 F1 2014 - Ideas and Wish List

F1 2014 The Game (Codemasters)
My F1 2014 Wish List (will try to keep it updated)

• Podiums
  • In F1 2011 when you chose a helmet it would always have the team label above the visor, which was a nice touch, bring that back ;)
  • In career mode you get to choose a number for your career
  • The ability to work on older computers at 60 fps, it can be done Codemasters (I have a Intel core i5 PC yet the game can't run smoothly with decent graphics)
  • In career, you can be a test driver, or even drive in GP2 and GP3
  • Maybe a card collection in the game, where you get cards (maybe historic scenes) in your interactive binder for completing specific tasks
  • TV Hud
  • Gain a sponsor and the logo can be added on the car (not likely but we can still mention it ;))
  • More realistic Car failures for AI
  • An Arcade Mode and a Sim Mode, Arcade for the new F1 Racer and Sim Mode for the true driving experience
  • Watch qualifying and races
  • (NEW) When in Pitlane the Radio Engineers look behind at your car and other cars to see positions etc.
  • (NEW) Of course an improved Damage Model (Including Wheels with Broken suspension, not just coming off)
  • (NEW) Design your Number, not just choose it ;)
  • (NEW) Make the handling feel realistic, sliding, quick reactions etc.
  • (NEW) On events screen, include AI Penalties as well
  • (NEW) More realistic Career Mode
Thanks ;)

What I'd like to see, and with the next gen power i cant see why it cant be done. now this is all career mode as i dont play much online:

- Bring back the idea of live the life of a driver, but with more freedom. I'd like to be able to walk around the team area and garage with no loading times and maybe chat to other drivers as they walk past, or at least your team mate. I don't want to go as far as waling the whole pit lane or back area, but a little more freedom would be nice.

- Further to the last one, i don't want to be dumped straight into the car when I enter the garage.

- Also after a race, if the team wins, or you beat the objective set then why not see the team celebrating as you walk around before confirming to go to the next race. we always got the same walking around like nothing special has happened.

- I like the idea of using money or maybe even the XP points that never really had a purpose to "buy" upgraded parts or major repair jobs that are needed.

- More parts that fail, if an engine or gearbox dies in one race and you have to use a new one then you get a grid penalty the next race (same with AI drivers)

- Out lap and Parade lap (skippable if desired) on race days, with a slight chance of something going wrong on the car resulting in starting from the pit lane.

- More damage than just front wing and wheels coming off, i'm not talking total destruction as in grid or dirt, but something more believable.

- People are saying commentary, i prefer not to have it during the race, but why not have the replay like a tv broadcast, with commentary and focus on other drivers and events rather than our whole race. many times I've wanted to see what happened in a huge crash behind me but can only focus on my car.

- a shorter young drivers section, i like how it determines what teams are open to you, but as someone whos played the games before it feels like a chore going through what i already know.

- young drivers section should be completed in the 2013 spec cars as in real life.

- 1 testing weekend at the beginning of the season with multiple objectives, pass an objective then the car become more reliable. Same with the rest of the season, fail test objectives during certain race weekends and the reliability falls.

- bring back press conferences and interviews, that affect your popularity (which affects XP mentioned earlier) and standings with other teams and moral of your team.

- Victory lap and parking up in your 1st, 2nd, or 3rd bay bat at parc ferme.

- Podium celebrations, we've screamed about this for years and it still hasn't happened. even f1 champ edition had it.

- If we have podiums, then there needs to be some form of basic create a driver. even fifa has a decent create a player, i can't imagine it would be that hard to implement.

- a small one, but why not have a switchable option in settings for if we go into a gravel trap to get stuck or drive out.

- More on the damage (and also switchable option), if there is debris from a crash or a blown tyre then if we run over that part it could burst our tyre.

- Finally put Bernie in the game, it wouldn't be hard, they could reuse the Gollom model from when codemasters did lord of the rings online: mines of moria and just put glasses and a generic f1 shirt on him.

but with it being codemasters, they will look at all our suggestions and put just 1 thing in per year using "time constraints" as an excuse again

I certainly hope a Test Driver Role or 3rd Driver role will be Included this year and let him drive FP1 of atleast 12 - 15 races . We have a New set of tires available for FP1 for the Test drivers so Defining runs and making Players to do that would be good.
If you are a 2nd driver in the team you will start from FP2 as 3rd Driver will take the Some of the sessions and in important races you will start on FP1
If you are 1st driver then you can start every session
This certainly pushes the users to improve position in a team,
1st season with a Team as test driver then going to team as 2nd Driver and then the current format to Switch teams

you've covered my wish list pretty much, top being the crash physics and damage. on the immersion thing, I'd like to see pre-race interviews on the grid, martin brundle style! could use it as an opportunity to find out what other teams strategies are as well

Oh well, a lot of things have been said before, might just as well start my own list.

1. More Immersive Career
I understand that it's (for license reasons) impossible to have new cars, alternating liveries etc. for every new season. But I do think it should be possible to have the drivers switch around or retire and be replaced by (randomly generated) new boys and girls.

Also, I think most of us would like to be able to customize their helmet and number (I guess we'll be picking the number for our career this year anyway, but perhaps we could at least pick different designs?)

2. TV Feeling
One thing I've always enjoyed about the old F1 games (the last of which being F1 2005, which I played on PS2 back almost ten years ago) was the TV-like presentation. Of course, the drivers have an entirely different point of view when being on the grid, but I think that before the race it would be nice to have the grid shown as they do on TV.

Also, I think it'd be nice if we could have commentators. (Those who don't like 'em can turn 'em off anyway.) Overall, I found the way CM presented Formula 1 to us in the last years was astonishingly boring.

Additionally, wouldn't it be nice if we could have podium ceremonies, anthems, press conferences etc. after the race? Formula 1 is not all about racing.

3. Realism
I think we all agree when we say that we want a more credible damage system and more realistic driving physics. Yes, F1 2013 was a big step forward in that matter, but there's still a lot of room for improvement, especially with the new rules this year, which have had a great impact on the handling of the cars.

Of course, there's always room for improvement in terms of AI.

4. Wishes Unlikely To Be Fulfilled
No for the stuff we most certainly won't see in the game.

4.1. Customization
Perhaps many of you will disagree on that one, but I'd love to be able to decide myself how long my career lasts - and if I want to start my own team afterwards. FIFA is giving a great example with the career mode lasting for fifteen years, where teams change their entire line-up. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible in F1 (including cool driver/car-presentations and photoshoots).

If I'm starting my own team, of course I want to be able to live through the struggles of a Formula 1 team owner - searching for sponsors, drivers, suppliers. Most likely in my first season I'll have to find someone to build the chassis for me; but over the years, I could acquire a wind tunnel, hire people like Adrian Newey and then build my ultimate car (of course with my own livery). CM's online F1 game had a similar idea, so I think potential is there.

4.2. Non-F1 tracks
If I'm driving for Ferrari in my career, I'd most likely be driving the car around Fiorano for a photoshoot. If I'm a Mercedes driver, perhaps I'll get a chance to drive the car around the Nordschleife. Red Bull drivers often do showruns somewhere. I think there's potential there as well.

4.3. Career Build-Up
Probably the most unrealistic of all these wishes, but MotoGP 13 and WRC 4 are showing (even if not best-practice, but still nicely done) that racing in the lower classes can be great fun too.

I'd love to start my career driving in GP3 or Renault World Series, climbing up to GP2 and then making it to Formula 1 if I'm good enough. Plus, I could establish rivalries with other drivers in the junior series and ultimately battle them out at top speed, wheel-by-wheel, in the Formula 1.

Oh well, a lot of things have been said before, might just as well start my own list.

1. More Immersive Career
I understand that it's (for license reasons) impossible to have new cars, alternating liveries etc. for every new season. But I do think it should be possible to have the drivers switch around or retire and be replaced by (randomly generated) new boys and girls.

Also, I think most of us would like to be able to customize their helmet and number (I guess we'll be picking the number for our career this year anyway, but perhaps we could at least pick different designs?)

2. TV Feeling
One thing I've always enjoyed about the old F1 games (the last of which being F1 2005, which I played on PS2 back almost ten years ago) was the TV-like presentation. Of course, the drivers have an entirely different point of view when being on the grid, but I think that before the race it would be nice to have the grid shown as they do on TV.

Also, I think it'd be nice if we could have commentators. (Those who don't like 'em can turn 'em off anyway.) Overall, I found the way CM presented Formula 1 to us in the last years was astonishingly boring.

Additionally, wouldn't it be nice if we could have podium ceremonies, anthems, press conferences etc. after the race? Formula 1 is not all about racing.

3. Realism
I think we all agree when we say that we want a more credible damage system and more realistic driving physics. Yes, F1 2013 was a big step forward in that matter, but there's still a lot of room for improvement, especially with the new rules this year, which have had a great impact on the handling of the cars.

Of course, there's always room for improvement in terms of AI.

4. Wishes Unlikely To Be Fulfilled
No for the stuff we most certainly won't see in the game.

4.1. Customization
Perhaps many of you will disagree on that one, but I'd love to be able to decide myself how long my career lasts - and if I want to start my own team afterwards. FIFA is giving a great example with the career mode lasting for fifteen years, where teams change their entire line-up. I don't see why this shouldn't be possible in F1 (including cool driver/car-presentations and photoshoots).

If I'm starting my own team, of course I want to be able to live through the struggles of a Formula 1 team owner - searching for sponsors, drivers, suppliers. Most likely in my first season I'll have to find someone to build the chassis for me; but over the years, I could acquire a wind tunnel, hire people like Adrian Newey and then build my ultimate car (of course with my own livery). CM's online F1 game had a similar idea, so I think potential is there.

4.2. Non-F1 tracks
If I'm driving for Ferrari in my career, I'd most likely be driving the car around Fiorano for a photoshoot. If I'm a Mercedes driver, perhaps I'll get a chance to drive the car around the Nordschleife. Red Bull drivers often do showruns somewhere. I think there's potential there as well.

4.3. Career Build-Up
Probably the most unrealistic of all these wishes, but MotoGP 13 and WRC 4 are showing (even if not best-practice, but still nicely done) that racing in the lower classes can be great fun too.

I'd love to start my career driving in GP3 or Renault World Series, climbing up to GP2 and then making it to Formula 1 if I'm good enough. Plus, I could establish rivalries with other drivers in the junior series and ultimately battle them out at top speed, wheel-by-wheel, in the Formula 1.
At the career build up and then starts at GP3,GP2 it's not a f1

my wishlist not very much

1. Make The Game Like the Studio Liverpool F1 Games Performance
2. At Career you will have your own Asset like $500.000 at f1 2010, so you have your own challenge

Last edited:
Bring back FP1 + FP2 - With differing objectives throughout the sessions. No idea why they dropped that aspect the last couple of years? (idiots?) I used to revel in the lengthy process of learning a track, figuring out a setup, adjusting for tyre wear, track evolution, weather and trying to conserve engine use over the whole season. If I don't want to play FP1/2 I can just use skip session. :p

Pit Stops - Player controlled pit stops so there is a chance of a mistake which will cost time. Also not waiting for EVERY car to go past when the pitlane is busy, it is freaking ridiculous how long they wait to release you sometimes.

Pit Stop Practice in FP and Q, - A quick change of tyres and straight back on track. This would also be a chance to hone your player controlled pit stop technique.

More immersion in the career mode - Podiums! Including anthems, and of course, the champaaaaaagne :) Bring back (though heavily reworked) the press conferences and paddock interviews. Make the players decisions when answering the press have a direct effect on what teams become either more or less interested in you. Make the questioning more dynamic, I don't want to answer the same questions over and over. Again this was dropped out of the game from previous releases, If developed decently, this could have a huge impact on the career experience.

Warm up lap / Starts - Heating the tyres up to optimum levels could result in a optimum start. Generally, this would make the start more intense and create better immersion. Having a player controlled starting procedure would be cool.

Commentary - What I would give to have Murray Walker commentating on my races! HA! but seriously, bring Crofty and Brundle in and I would be very happy :)

Engineer - Needs to give more dynamic advice and information during all sessions, not just rinse and repeat. He could have a general knowledge on what kind of setup suits the track/conditions and what kind of runs to do on different tyres/fuel loads. During the races he should not talk you when you are in a wheel to wheel battle or navigating a series of corners unless it is CRITICAL information

AI in wet weather - There needs to be some teams taking gambles/risks. I don't want ALL of the cars coming in on the SAME (ideal) lap to pit for the SAME (ideal) tyres, in real life AT LEAST one team will gamble on the tyres/strategies in changeable conditions.

Safety Car - Though the frequency of it being deployed is debatable season to season, cars that stop on the track, debris on the racing line, extreme wet weather and big accidents should all bring out the SC by default.
Too many times have I seen multi car crashes and the yellow flag is out for not even a lap, by the time I get around to the crash site there is no debris/wreckage just nothing, wouldn't even know there was an accident 90 seconds ago!
Also, the AI needs to take advantage of pitstops during the safety car period, at the moment it seems that all teams will pit on pre destined strategies, this needs a more dynamic approach, again at least one team will be gambling and more often than not it is just common sense.

Release a complete game - Every year there seems to be a major game-breaking bug on release. Surely beta-testing would have found these along with most other bugs pretty quickly. Patches, fixes, and workarounds suck. I'd rather them be focusing on quality DLC throughout the yearly cycle of the releases.

Serious Bug I think
When I first started playing F1 2013 I thought there had been improvement from 2012 but after just completing my first season I must say that if code masters are going to put out a 2014 version they should not rush and get it right. the probs I have experienced are actual "Bugs" or faults in the program and not really anything to do with the actual control and playability. the 1st I found was that I was allowed to use DRS in the wet (errr). then in my first race in Barcelona my tyres were shot with about 4 laps to go so I pitted fitted a brand new set of options and by the end of my out lap they were shot too and I mean "un drivable" now c'mon code masters whats happeneing? . Is it actually SCRIPTED . that's not all and not the most annoying , I was racing in USA and received a drive through penalty , so I served the penalty but the game had not recognised the fact that I had served it, so had to serve it again, I received the penalty for overtaking under the safety car (ERRR Again I say) how can you overtake under safety car when the game takes control of the throttle as you approach cars in front. I have been overtaken by other cars under a safety car and lost places ???? . on another race I lost my front wing being a bit aggressive so pitted , the pit crew fitted new tyres but no front wing . obviously by this time I abandoned that race. the truth is I think this game (when its working correctly) is very good, but and its a big BUT the programing is absolutely Dire, Naff, Crap, and seriously flawed . I would love to mention a few more harsh words but its not forum protocol. has anyone else had any issues like this or is it my copy or a bug in my PS3. I think the only improvement from 2012 to 2013 is that 2012 with assists was too easy and without too difficult and there was no middle ground to encourage you to switch the assists off but they have nailed that in 2013 as even with braking assist on full you can no longer just go steaming into corners and let the AI drive for you. and you can control the amount of assist to train yourself to drive without which I think is a vast improvement. but what's the point when you drive your heart out for a 50% race just to be robbed by the bugs and glitches at the end .

a helmet cam would be nice and TV HUD also and way to adjust FOV in game for guys who run a triple setup also and more than five setups allowed per track come on guys there are alot of possiblities

Last edited:
I'm going to try and do this in the view of what I feel CM could possibly do...

Helmet Designer
Now I'm not expecting anything amazing, maybe if they had say 10 Generic helmet designs and we could just tweak the colours to get something that we would prefer.

Number
Says it all really, for Career and Online I'd like my own number and this would work brilliantly for leagues!

FP1&2
I'd like this brought back, there will be big changes to the cars this year, no more KERS as ERS just runs throughout, 8 gears, so would be nice to get more practice in.

Interviews
I'd like this feature back in Career mode as it made it feel a lot more worthwhile.

Multi-Season Co-Op Career
I'd like this to last more than one season, maybe if you both start at the bottom and could end up at various teams fighting out for the title in future which would make it cool.

Engineer Improvements
I'd like the engineer to be so much better, provide better information on the drivers around you, also in FP1 he should point out a decent base setup to work around to help newcomers get the most out of the game, such as recommending higher wings or ride height as an example.

Servers
Leagues suffer so much from disconnects and I've found this game particularly likes dropping the odd person off.

Pit Control
Multiple changes I'd like to see for this, I would welcome back the manual pits where you could overshoot the box, also I'd like them to be more intelligent in releasing you so that you aren't waiting a day for every other car to come through, lastly I'd like to see quick tyre changes in quali and possibly pit stop practice in FP1 etc. so that you could actually trial a full race simulation, maybe just have these quick pits in Practice and Quali as an option on the D-Pad.

More real-time data displayed on the new OLEDs at successive pushes of the now useless K button (since ERS is managed electronically now):
pvqx9t4ng1tvhk7vdwwy.jpg~original

There's so many more awesome options to do in a modern Formula 1 game. Don't drop the ball once again. Have Testers checking every feature and not just for 3 laps.

I hope they implement a new braking system, even though i like the braking on the 13 game. The brake by wire feature in the new regs is quite a big change to be honest and is quite difficult to master. As we all know braking is a vital aspect of car control. I hope they make the changes.

1) TV-like HUD
2) Press conferences and podium cutscenes
3) More cutscenes scenes for parc ferme and disappointment cutscenes
4) Aging drivers and young drivers (Generated and from feeder championship) replaces retired drivers
5) Real-life like tracks, cars and ambiance, particularly AI cars' low quality must be fixed
6) Preseason Tests
7) New rules, new cars and its steering wheels from 2014 season
8) Drivers' full face when their helmets are taken off
9) More ability to create your own driver (More driver informations and driver's face) and user customizable helmet and number to use at career mode and other supported modes
10) Replay are not just focused at player's car, but all cars must be focused on too (Like GP4 did)
11) Drivers transfer market
12) Manager mode (Like B-Spec at Gran Turismo series)
13) Driver skill points and car upgrades
14) Fans club and social medias
15) Realistic qualifying and race's lap time for each drivers based on their skills
16) Realistic skill points for all drivers

Still more to come from me ;)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes