Extra Handbrake Options ?

Warren Dawes

Premium
I'd like to increase the realism of my Rally driving, so looking for any suggestions for adding a separate handbrake with my G25.
Currently I use the shifter in sequential mode for the handbrake and the paddles for gear change. That is probably a reasonable sense of realism for the modern WRC cars, but I'd love to be able to use the H Shifter for gear changing for older cars, and still have a realistic handbrake. It feels totally unrealistic to use a button for the handbrake to me, maybe one of the paddles is best but still doesn't feel like a handbrake.
I've seen other drivers using an extra handbrake, but I think they must be specially wired into the Controller. I don't think it is possible to use two separate controllers in RBR, I did a quick test with a joystick plugged into an extra USB slot, but only one controller was recognised in the game.

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way around this, I'm not keen on trying to modify my G25 myself?

For me it would be a small piece of urethane to emulate the feel of a hydraulic cylinder, and just a switch/button after a small amount of travel. No need for a load cell or a pot to be honest, a quick grab with not much force should be enough to lock up the rear wheels.

Yep, this is the same for me. Just something feeling more sturdy than the G25 Shifter, and also allowing me to use the G25 Shifter for gear changing as well.

Upvote 0
OK, that makes more sense now :) I knew you wanted to get instant lock when you pulled the hand brake, so was having a hard time trying to figure out why anyone would want a fully functioning hand brake unless they were planning on using it if the brakes failed :)

So ideally then, someone could setup a small extra shifter with something to stiffen the travel a little and use that as a hand brake and still use the button to determine brake application.

Upvote 0
Have to say that would work pretty darn well :) Nice idea.............only issue, how many ppl have 'spare' G25/7 pedal sets. Maybe some CSP or CST owners and horders like me, but for most?

Still an nice simple and without doubt effective soloution :)

Well spotted Abs :)

Upvote 0
With an Obutto and a spare pair of G27 pedals that I have since I upgraded to CSPs. What do you think he used for that bracket to connect it to the Obutto and mount the pedal on? Also how would this be connected so that it'll work in game? The G27 pedal plug in to the wheel perhaps? Just curious as this could be a possibility for a DIY project. Thanks a whole lot Abdul!!! haha :)

Upvote 0
With an Obutto and a spare pair of G27 pedals that I have since I upgraded to CSPs. What do you think he used for that bracket to connect it to the Obutto and mount the pedal on? Also how would this be connected so that it'll work in game? The G27 pedal plug in to the wheel perhaps? Just curious as this could be a possibility for a DIY project. Thanks a whole lot Abdul!!! haha :)

G'day,

I'm Curtis, the guy who made that mod and posted the video.

Glad you all like the mod! I designed and made that bracket myself from scratch. It is connected to the PC via a BU0836 from Leo Bodnar. Images of the build are below:

vaCwIbqlvEfGTknLZ9mkSaaqCczbeDYVlRTSpaLcjEo

DSC_0043.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

DSC_0048.JPG

DSC_0057.JPG

DSC_0070.JPG

DSC_0072.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

DSC_0088.JPG

DSC_0090.JPG

Upvote 0
Well like most of you i dont have a spare G25/27 pedal lieing around for a hand brake, so this is what i did.

SDC10407.JPGSDC10405.JPGSDC10421.JPGSDC10418.JPG
Its more or less the same as the handbrake mod on the chilicoke site but i got a custom cable whiped up at a local bolts n fasters thanx to the kind staff there and used a realy heavy spring in it. also i put a mono headphone jack for the input wire to my G25 shifter box so its neat and easily changable for when i get around to making a rally style brake for it later down the track.

Upvote 0
G'day,

I'm Curtis, the guy who made that mod and posted the video.

Glad you all like the mod! I designed and made that bracket myself from scratch. It is connected to the PC via a BU0836 from Leo Bodnar. Images of the build are below:

Hello,
can you post the dimensions and angles of the used profiles for your handbrake mod?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Just bringing this thread back to life in the hope there may be some news. The only one I have found so far that seems like it would meet what I am after is the following from Italy

http://www.manu-factory.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=21

The handbrake is the 'must-have accessory for those who love the rally.
The structure is made paralluman 3 mm thick which is laser cut, CNC bent presses, and finally blasted.
The fixing can be done through a convenient terminal or with the 'help of 4 screws through the holes prepared.
The lever can be positioned vertically or horizontally quickly using the key that is provided.
The method of braking is required then further customized by adjusting the preload of contrast spring and to bottom out the lever.

The brake is available in two versions:

• With potentiometer to have a fully adjustable brake
  • Microswitch with a stop for those who prefer firmer

frenoamano1.jpg

Frenoamano2.jpg

Frenoamano_Verticale.jpg

I've emailed them asking about price and will post any info I get.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
I got a reply from the owner of Manu Factory, Raffaele Bocchini, regarding their Handbrake with potentiometer as I posted above and while it isn't cheap the quality and features are exactly what I wanted so I am in the process of ordering one and having it shipped to me here in Australia.

The cost is €280.00 Euro plus shipping and he can accept Paypal or Bank Deposit payment if anyone else is interested the link to the Manu Factory website is www.manu-factory.it

I will post a thorough review once it arrives and I have had a chance to test it but I am very much looking forward to having this handbrake to use with RBR. There is also someone here in Australia in the early stages of developing a handbrake so when it becomes available I will hopefully get one as well so I can compare them directly and keep the one that best suits me.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Yea I wasn't really that surprised, they are a hand made, to order, low volume product of extremely high quality so I knew it was always going to be expensive. You should have a look at the pedal box he makes :eek:

Other than a unit with a load cell or proper hydraulic unit I think the potentiometer is going to give me the most realistic feel and allow me to use varying amounts of handbrake and calibrate it using the full range of calibration rather than the on off situation I have now using the extra Fanatec sequential shifter.

Luckily I have a very nice and understanding wife who bought it as a gift for me for our 23rd anniversary which happens to be today and I placed the order over night so it all worked out nicely :cool: It's always great when your wife is into motorsport and rallying as much as you are and sees RBR as a training tool for our real rallies :wink::wink::wink:

I have to say that Raffaele at MANU-FACTORY was a pleasure to deal with and was happy to answer any questions I had clearly, concisely and promptly which is always reassuring. The unit is shipped by EMS courier with insurance and tracking so I'm just waiting to get the notification it has been built and is on it's way.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0
Very nice, you will have to give us a full review.

Earlier in this thread I stated that a microswitch would be the way to go, but not ever driven a rally car I was mistaken. Another rallyist confirmed just what Alastair is saying, even with a hydraulic handbrake you use varying amounts of brake to get the car rotating the way you want it. So pot or loadcell it is!

Upvote 0
Handbrake arrived today from Italy packed very carefully and in perfect condition. I plugged it in and it works as it should. No time to mount it to the cockpit yet or test it in anger as I have a RD Rally Champ round tonight so will wait until the morning to get it all set up and have some time to practice with it.

Quality wise it is top shelf and beautifully built with a nice firm action just like a real hydraulic handbrake. The adjustable spring is nice to get the firmness exactly to your liking.

Full review to follow once I get a chance to have a thorough go with it.

Cheers Al

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back