Extra Handbrake Options ?

Warren Dawes

Premium
I'd like to increase the realism of my Rally driving, so looking for any suggestions for adding a separate handbrake with my G25.
Currently I use the shifter in sequential mode for the handbrake and the paddles for gear change. That is probably a reasonable sense of realism for the modern WRC cars, but I'd love to be able to use the H Shifter for gear changing for older cars, and still have a realistic handbrake. It feels totally unrealistic to use a button for the handbrake to me, maybe one of the paddles is best but still doesn't feel like a handbrake.
I've seen other drivers using an extra handbrake, but I think they must be specially wired into the Controller. I don't think it is possible to use two separate controllers in RBR, I did a quick test with a joystick plugged into an extra USB slot, but only one controller was recognised in the game.

Does anyone know of a relatively easy way around this, I'm not keen on trying to modify my G25 myself?

Hi Warren I thought I sent you the link to that the other day in my private message? I must have forgotten to add it.

If you look at this video

You can see the gentleman from Germany is using the Frex handbrake with an extension handle on it but what I cant understand from the video is that it looks like a load cell set up but on the Frex site I am sure it says it is a potentiometer?

Upvote 0
After searching, I found this:
http://frex.xsrv.jp/gpshop/catalog/default.php?cPath=1_23

That is basically similar to what i was looking for. Unfortunately, the info there seems very limited to me, I can't get much idea of how it connects (looks like no USB connection :confused: ) nor even how it clamps to the desk??
Probably not using a load cell either.

That will be a potentiometer based unit, and it will then need to be wired up to a USB input board such as a Leo Bodnar BU0836 after that. It does have desk clamps and will be a pretty good device tbh. The Leo Bodnar board is cheap enough £20 inc postage world wide and a very simple connection. The BU0836 can also handle a whole load of buttons/rotary encoders and other pots too :)

Upvote 0
For me it would be something that could mount to a desk next to a sequential shifter, somewhat compact. A load cell would be nice, but a simple button activation would be fine, to emulate a hydraulic hand brake.

Upvote 0
I am using a Frex Shift+ which is the sequential shifter. Warren, you may have even used it... I rewired it and it now uses a Bodnar board. Some of the Bodnar boards don't even need soldering so they are a brilliant option. Only thing with that shifter is that it uses switches, rather than a load cell or pot. A really good way to go and a bloody rugged design...

Upvote 0
Guys, might take me a little while, but looking into the option of making a small batch of upright 'rally style' H/Brake assemblys. May well offer the option of cheaper 'pot' or the better but dearer load cell system so it help suit most pockets depending on your choise :)

Let me know what you think

Upvote 0
Guys, might take me a little while, but looking into the option of making a small batch of upright 'rally style' H/Brake assemblys. May well offer the option of cheaper 'pot' or the better but dearer load cell system so it help suit most pockets depending on your choise :)

Let me know what you think

This sounds like a good way to go Brian, I'd be very interested. I'll wait to see how it develops, but if not, I might seriously look at Cam's suggestion re the Frex Shift+. At least then it would give me a very solid Sequential Shifter for other applications as well.

Any chance of a Super Mod or Admin, copying / moving this thread to the Hardware Forum please?

Upvote 0
Tried messing about with a loadcell today, some success on the mechanism, now I need to find the right type of L/C for the right price! This will probably take a while...........but I am looking at options :)

Upvote 0
Using a real handbrake with cable attached, have the cable pull against a fairly strong spring compressing the spring with a rubber bumper at the end of travel to allow for a little compressing at max brake. This should give the "feel" that they are looking for and eliminate the need to use a load cell.

Question is though, how to you get the handbrake to work on only the rear brakes? Is there an API that will allow this?

Upvote 0
Using a real handbrake with cable attached, have the cable pull against a fairly strong spring compressing the spring with a rubber bumper at the end of travel to allow for a little compressing at max brake. This should give the "feel" that they are looking for and eliminate the need to use a load cell.

For me, I need it to not take up much desktop space. I don't use a racing cockpit.

Question is though, how to you get the handbrake to work on only the rear brakes? Is there an API that will allow this?

Not an issue with Richard Burns Rally, the handbrake works as it should in this Sim. It's also extremely important in RBR.

Upvote 0
I know that you can assign a button for the handbrake in RBR, can you also set a device like a normal handbrake to do the same thing giving you gradual increase in the brake?

Upvote 0
I know that you can assign a button for the handbrake in RBR, can you also set a device like a normal handbrake to do the same thing giving you gradual increase in the brake?

RBR's handbrake is analog like the gas and brake.

I don't why you would want this tho, the whole reason for swapping to a hydraulic handbrake in a rally car is to have instant lock. If you pull the handbrake and don't get instant lock on the rear wheels, you are in real trouble!

For me it would be a small piece of urethane to emulate the feel of a hydraulic cylinder, and just a switch/button after a small amount of travel. No need for a load cell or a pot to be honest, a quick grab with not much force should be enough to lock up the rear wheels.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 247 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years