Ecclestone Ousted as F1 CEO - Chase Carey Takes Control

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Bernie Ecclestone out of F1.jpg

It has been reported by Auto Motor und Sport that Formula One Ringmaster Bernie Ecclestone has been replace today by new Liberty Media Chairman Chase Carey, bringing to an end a 42 year reign of control over the Formula One franchise.

"I was deposed today,” Ecclestone told Auto Motor und Sport. “I am simply gone. It's official. I am no longer the leader of the company. My position has been taken by Chase Carey.

“My new position is one of those American terms. It's something like an honorary president. I have this title now, even though I don't know what it means.”

My days in the office will be getting quieter now. Maybe I will attend a Grand Prix sometime in the future... I still have many friends in Formula 1, and I still have enough money to afford to attend a race.”
Ecclestone also mentioned that he expects he will have to give up his seat at the FIA World Motor Sport Council following the reshuffle at the very top of the Formula One food chain, confirming that
"First of all, I have to talk to Jean Todt about this.” Despite the obvious experience Ecclestone, 86, brings to the table, the Englishman "doubts" he will remain involved going forward.

With the final details of Liberty Media's takeover a mere formality at this stage, the move to bring in Chase Carey as a key figurehead within the Formula One Group will spell the end of an era once dominated by former used car salesman Bernard Charles Ecclestone. Exactly what Ecclestone will go on to do remains to be seen, as the newly offered title of "Life President" covers a broad and as yet undefined scope of activity. Although still going strong at the ripe old age of 86, it will be interesting to see where Ecclestone will fit in the new structure being defined by Liberty Media.

The deal for Liberty Media to take control of Formula One recently received approval from the sports governing body the FIA, following an extraordinary meeting of its World Motor Sport Council (WMSC) in Switzerland on Wednesday 18th January.

"During the meeting, the representatives of the prospective new owner made a detailed presentation of their strategy. The members of the World Motor Sport Council then had the opportunity to ask questions about the specifics of the agreement, the ongoing working relationship with the FIA and Liberty’s plans for the sport.

Liberty, Formula One Group and the FIA intend to collaborate to create a constructive relationship that will ensure the continued success and the development of the FIA Formula One World Championship in the long term.

The World Motor Sport Council’s decision confirms the FIA’s belief that Liberty, as a renowned media organisation with expertise in both sport and entertainment, is clearly well positioned to ensure the continued development of its pinnacle Championship" said a Liberty Media statement.

Will anything change following the removal of Ecclestone? Only time will tell...

For more Formula One news and discussions head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with your fellow community members.

Do you think the removal of Ecclestone from his role of Formula One CEO will be a positive move for the sport? Will Chase Carey be able to fill the diminutive Ecclestone's shoes? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
A bit worrying tbh. The guy kept F1 this big even during the 2008 crisis. For some strange reason people blame him a lot when some decisions (like engine) he tried to change for good but was not able to. He did his mistakes ofc.
Time will tell. I don't think anything will change immediately

D

Deleted member 130869

• Deleted member 130869

There's long-term damage that can't be reversed, and there are long-term contracts that have to be honored. Who knows how many changes can be done in the short-term. We'll see what the new guy brings to the table and if he can be better or worse than Bernie.

I'm not an Eccleston fan so I'm glad. Sure he did a lot for the sport over the years, but he's had far too much power. F1 has been crying out for real change for a long time, so it's about time someone else was given a chance. I don't expect anything to change immediately, but hopefully in years to come I might actually be interested in watching again. (if it ever comes back to free TV, that is.)

Bernie is definitely not the most likeable guy around, but there is not a single car championship in the world that has developped as much as F1 during such a long time. As a matter of fact most series have gone down one or several times during Ecclestone's F1 reign.

So it might seem a relief to see him go, but it would be very hard for his successor to do as well as he did.

New era. @@

Maybe we should have a new calendar, you know... like before and after Bernie. With Bernie being a 21 century Jesus, that's it.

Ecclestone was too interested in personal wealth.

Maybe the new owners will be less short sighted.

Maybe the sport will soon return to free TV.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 95 18.5%
  • €151-500

Votes: 138 26.8%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 88 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 43 8.4%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 51 9.9%
  • €3001-5000