DIY Hydraulic Pedals

Hey all ,

I started sim racing around 16 months ago , it was after 6 odd months that i started getting some trouble from my CSP's , that i decided to explore the prospect of building something of my own . So with the help of a friend of mine (he has electronics knowledge, i have none :D) i set about what you see below ...

So here we go ....

I have to say a big thankyou before anything else to Phil Berry for all his help and words of encouragement !

Like any project its the slow and painful process of acquiring bit on a parts by parts basis .....

So this is what i have managed to receive thus far :

DSC02051_zpsa5eed04c.jpg

Magnets for the Hall Sensors

DSC02054_zps1b8ad685.jpg

These being the Hall Sensors ( tiny little things)

DSC02052_zpsb38b21fa.jpg

Pressure transducer for the clutch

DSC02053_zpsc19d4359.jpg

Measpec transducer for the brake

DSC02055_zps3bb38f90.jpg

Pull slaves

DSC02056_zps3dca8c9e.jpg

I have 2 types of valve springs that i will be using on the pull slave , depending on how hard or soft you want the effect to be

340-12410-lg_zps4113b68a.jpg

The pedal assembly (pièce de résistance in my opinion)

260-1304-lg_zpsf1e43fca.jpg

Master for the clutch pedal

260-3374-lg_zpsa1c735e3.jpg

Masters for the brakes

hpim1547_zpsa17c0074.jpg

Load cell amp (many thanks to derek speare)

Thats all i have for now , so as i accumulate more gear and finally begin the construction i will post more pics ...

Hi...could you say me a complete list of fittings(for 3/16 hard lines) that you used in your diy pedals.thanks a lot

Tonight i was able to have a red-hot crack at doing the plumbing for the brakes ...
Started by buying some basic fittings (what i thought i need to allow me to see what i want to make). I am using 3/16 stainless hard line. I like the fact that its self supportive once shaped and its a lot easier to work with than braided line !
DSC02110_zpsd86955dd.jpg

DSC02114_zpsbeb4a756.jpg

DSC02112_zpsd228b916.jpg

Here you can see what i mean by being self supportive ! I'm thinking that i can turn the pressure transducer 180 deg so that minimal wiring is visible ....
DSC02113_zps69655400.jpg

Nice and simple ....
DSC02115_zps3562f3a9.jpg

I also had the chance to make the footrest covers .... i have decided that i'm going to mount all wiring etc underneath the footrest section and position the ratiometric knob to the left (clutch pedal side) for easy to reach tuning capabilities ... once mounted i will post some pics
DSC02108_zps7d1acb79.jpg

Adios for now !!

Upvote 0
Hey all ,

I started sim racing around 16 months ago , it was after 6 odd months that i started getting some trouble from my CSP's , that i decided to explore the prospect of building something of my own . So with the help of a friend of mine (he has electronics knowledge, i have none :D) i set about what you see below ...

So here we go ....

I have to say a big thankyou before anything else to Phil Berry for all his help and words of encouragement !

Like any project its the slow and painful process of acquiring bit on a parts by parts basis .....

So this is what i have managed to receive thus far :

DSC02051_zpsa5eed04c.jpg

Magnets for the Hall Sensors

DSC02054_zps1b8ad685.jpg

These being the Hall Sensors ( tiny little things)

DSC02052_zpsb38b21fa.jpg

Pressure transducer for the clutch

DSC02053_zpsc19d4359.jpg

Measpec transducer for the brake

DSC02055_zps3bb38f90.jpg

Pull slaves

DSC02056_zps3dca8c9e.jpg

I have 2 types of valve springs that i will be using on the pull slave , depending on how hard or soft you want the effect to be

340-12410-lg_zps4113b68a.jpg

The pedal assembly (pièce de résistance in my opinion)

260-1304-lg_zpsf1e43fca.jpg

Master for the clutch pedal

260-3374-lg_zpsa1c735e3.jpg

Masters for the brakes

hpim1547_zpsa17c0074.jpg

Load cell amp (many thanks to derek speare)

Thats all i have for now , so as i accumulate more gear and finally begin the construction i will post more pics ...

Upvote 0
Hi there I'm learning a lot from your post it's really good. Can you let me know where you got the box to hold the 12 bit controller in before you moved it to the 80/20 one you made

Upvote 0
Hello!
I'm working on my DIY hydraulic pedals too and need to finde the springs for the pull slave.
I need an advice about this 2 springs that I found:
http://www.jegs.com/i/K-Motion/571/K-1500-1/10002/-1?parentProductId=747828
http://www.jegs.com/i/Manley/660/221450-1/10002/-1

One is 856 lbs/in Spring Rate the other 770, it's the 2 highter valva spring that I found.
Which one should I get?
If you have any other suggestion show me it!

"off topic": need a spring for the pull slave of my DIY hand brake too, what spring rate should I get?

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Hello!
I'm working on my DIY hydraulic pedals too and need to finde the springs for the pull slave.
I need an advice about this 2 springs that I found:
http://www.jegs.com/i/K-Motion/571/K-1500-1/10002/-1?parentProductId=747828
http://www.jegs.com/i/Manley/660/221450-1/10002/-1

One is 856 lbs/in Spring Rate the other 770, it's the 2 highter valva spring that I found.
Which one should I get?
If you have any other suggestion show me it!

"off topic": need a spring for the pull slave of my DIY hand brake too, what spring rate should I get?

Thank you!

JeanYves Samson

Hey Jean Yves ,

Thankyou !

Valve springs are from a Top Alcohol motor ( drag racing ) they are rated at around 1000 lbs
Thanks man!

Upvote 0
Hello Jean Yves,
Thank you for your reply.
Of course, I read it about the 1000 lbs spring, but this really a lot :D that why I asked for another option.

Well, I'm still working on my pedals but I will buy a soft, a medium and a harder spring (1000 lbs) and try them.

Cya ;)

Upvote 0
Hi Psydfx.

I know it is many years ago you made this pedal project but I hope you can still answer my question.
I can see you used a Hall effect sensor for the throttle and I like to know how you connected it up with the wiring to the board and the magnet is just plug and play (5v) (GND) (Signal) directly to the board or do you have some resistor or other parts in between the hall sensor and the board??? when I found your project I was totally blown away and want to make my own pedals now I understand all the other stuff you have made but unfortunately you didn't show how the wirring was made with Hall sensor for the throttle.

again totally awsome made....:thumbsup:

best regards

Brian M.
DSC02126_zps4bd1f9d2.jpg

DSC02131_zps27250785.jpg

Here is where i tucked away the DSD Contoller
DSC02128_zps60ec5577.jpg

Upvote 0
Brian,
If this guy that did the pedals is the guy I am thinking of, he lives in Sydney, but gave up diy racing a few years ago now to focus on slot-car racing. He sold off everything, so he won’t reply. His name is Ben Darley.

Anyway, if your hall-effect sensor is a 5v unit, you can directly connect it to your controller board via 5v, gnd and signal pins, provided the output is 0-5V range or close to that.

‘’Otherwise, an op-amp circuit might be required to amplify the tiny signals to useable ones, like in the case of a load-cell....thus a load-cell amp, like Bodnar is selling, will work. But you need to verify what signal-level your hall-sensor is rated at, automotive sensors are definitely 12V supply.

‘’In my most recent Doppler diy pedal built, I used a (very expensive) LVIT, which requires a 12V supply, which I am feeding from one of the rails on my pc psu, but the output is 0-5v, thus directly connected to my Bodnar board. Both my Measpec pressure transducers though are 5v supply, but the signals connect to load-cell amps to boost them to proper levels.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
‘Beano

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back