DiRT Rally DiRT Rally out on Steam Early Access

Codemasters has surprised everyone with today's launch of Dirt Rally on Steam, under the Early Access label.

Judging from the official Steam Announcement, Dirt Rally features at launch (which is right now) 17 cars and 36 stages taken from 3 different locations (Monte Carlo, Acropolis and Wales).

SEE ALSO: Brand New Community Made DiRT Rally Videos

As you can see from the announcement, one of the biggest bullet points is "Simulation Handling". While we still haven't tried it yet, Codemasters definitely seems to be aiming for a more unforgiving driving model, with a "brand new model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials." Exactly how sim-like it will be remains to be seen, but it's indeed a good start.

Dirt Rally will also feature asynchronous events, team management providing improved repair times, league support.

Dirt Rally is currently in Early Access and available for the price of 26,99€, and it's going to receive new content in the form of cars, tracks and features for free.

Are you surprised as well by the Codies' announcement? Let us know your opinion in the comments!
DiRT_Rally_Announce_06.jpg

There is definitely no support for a mouse , which is too console-like for me. I get these messages at the bottom of the screen with numbers like 18 or 19. I have no idea where those are if they're buttons. Mouse support definitely is needed.

What really bugs me is no co-driver voice; that's a serious handicap and lots of other people are having the same problem. It's not like I have some esoteric sound setup ; since this is early access, I would hope they'll fix it. I probably won't play the game again until they give me a co-driver. :(

Weird because I have co-driver voice...Maybe check the settings? I thought I saw some co-driver settings somewhere when I first start up the game.

Weird because I have co-driver voice
Maybe your co driver is just better than mine! Mine is a mute which isn't good for a rally driver:) I think I checked all the appropriate settings and can't find any reason that it wouldn't work but I did hear them on a video so it must work, just can't figure it out. Maybe I will do a check of the files to see if that helps. It would certainly help my driving if the co driver would speak up!!

Yeah might want steam to verify the game files, I'm flying off the track even with my co-driver shouting at me, would be a nightmare if I didn't have one haha

Last edited:
On another forum the devs have said they havent implemented any steering wheel (including FFB) properly yet. They are waiting to see who has what wheels and are making a list. Whichever wheel most people have they will implement first then work down the list.
Im a massive RBR and rally game fan in general and i absolutely love dirt rally already.
It doesn't handle as ruthless as RBR but its still very tricky. They should have dropped Dirt from the title as its night and day from that crap.

The co-driver is a known bug at this point. If you think about it just post somewhere on their forum with your DxDiag file. It isn't a missing file issue as the co-driver will still give you comments about wheels going flat or coming off. There are also supposed to be arrows that also point in the direction (and severity) of the corners that usually don't show up with the co-driver bug either meaning the whole system is not working correctly.

I've only put a few hours in (and without a co-driver so not very quickly =P) but the game feels fantastic so far. Very interested to see how it progresses as they add more content and incorporate feedback. Also the future inclusion of FIA RallyCross circuits has me super excited.

Can anyone tell me if each stage is unique, or do some stages use the same section of track as others. Or indeed are ANY of the stages completely unique?

How long do they typically take to complete? 4 mins? 10 mins?
@Sun Levi ?

From what I can tell each location has 3 unique stages each split in to a full length 6-8minute stage in both directions and a shorter half length stage either in both directions or through different parts of the stage.

Shall i tell u what i think codemasters are doing here A: making a little bit of cash and b: Getting the community to build their game for them to release as dirt 4 .
Totally disagree. On both accounts.
But you had right for your opinion of course.
Btw.... I like this one.
http://www.racedepartment.com/media...st-look-gameplay-with-thrustmaster-t300.8929/
A lot.
Game doesn't look (and I hope FEEL, since I don't own it yet) as nearly as close to any other.... "dirt". imho.

edit:
Is it possible that this "sound bug" is related with your language settings??
I mean co-driver is there cause game had only english co-driver recorded.
For now. Since it's early access of course. :p

Last edited:
I had to buy it. It looks and sounds very good. Handling is good compared to the wrc series games. FFB needs improvements, but at this state, it's still very fun and immersive rally experience!

I'm using TX wheel on 360-540 degrees now. Also works fine with my frex shift+

Bought it and tried it.
I've played a lot RBR, with and without mods, and this game is not comparable, yet.
Nonetheless is an enjoyable experience, the graphics are immersive, the sounds are good and realistic. The physics need some tweaking indeed, but I really have fun driving (which is the point of playing pc games, isn't it?).

A proper ffb isn't there at this moment, but I think that a core for an enjoyable "non fully sim" game is present.
Fingers crossed for the next updates.

"Should I buy it?":
It depends on your expectations.

Obviously, there are a lot of similar impressions and feedback over there….

After 2 stages, my comments are quite in-line with previous one’s.

Amazing graphics ( structure, landscape, dusts effects, etc…) stages and sounds but poor car settings for driving setups like FFB, steering pitch, brake balance and grip….and no clue how to make it better.

Despite the information in the TV-trailer that it’s close to RBR, it’s not ( yet ) and I am sure that Codemasters will have to improve a lot of things after the drivers feedback !

Basically, it’s a bit similar to Dirt3, but with a promising target “back to the ( Rally ) roots” !

Road feel is very nice but apart from that there is only a centering spring force right now. So driving with a wheel seems odd and opposite lock feels unnatural at best. Lots of guys reported this on the official codemasters forum so I'd say it's a known issue atm :)
I'm glad Codies opened the game in Early Access because now there's time for taking advantage of useful feedback from the community.

For me I went for it and I like it even with the problems of being an early access title.

I can see me playing quite a bit of this as Codie's update and patch this title.

So far I am happy with what I got for what I paid.

Jason.

Hi to all friends rally fans and a BIG thank you to Codemasters for this pleasant surprise!
I just downloaded the game and now I begin to test it but... how can I do to change game language from English to Italian?
It is already possible to do this in the early access version or not?
I made all the settings for the graphics (triple screen 5760x1080), the sound and the steering wheel of course but have not found the option to change the language!

Hi to all friends rally fans and a BIG thank you to Codemasters for this pleasant surprise!
I just downloaded the game and now I begin to test it but... how can I do to change game language from English to Italian?
It is already possible to do this in the early access version or not?
I made all the settings for the graphics (triple screen 5760x1080), the sound and the steering wheel of course but have not found the option to change the language!

When you edit your in-game profile, you set your nationality as Italian, I just did that :)

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.