DiRT Rally DiRT Rally out on Steam Early Access

Codemasters has surprised everyone with today's launch of Dirt Rally on Steam, under the Early Access label.

Judging from the official Steam Announcement, Dirt Rally features at launch (which is right now) 17 cars and 36 stages taken from 3 different locations (Monte Carlo, Acropolis and Wales).

SEE ALSO: Brand New Community Made DiRT Rally Videos

As you can see from the announcement, one of the biggest bullet points is "Simulation Handling". While we still haven't tried it yet, Codemasters definitely seems to be aiming for a more unforgiving driving model, with a "brand new model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials." Exactly how sim-like it will be remains to be seen, but it's indeed a good start.

Dirt Rally will also feature asynchronous events, team management providing improved repair times, league support.

Dirt Rally is currently in Early Access and available for the price of 26,99€, and it's going to receive new content in the form of cars, tracks and features for free.

Are you surprised as well by the Codies' announcement? Let us know your opinion in the comments!
DiRT_Rally_Announce_06.jpg

So, I plan buy this how big size for this Dirt Rally Early Access?
And can we pass the opponent on rally stage like old Dirt series or just driving alone?
As far I'm concerned, it should be about a 18 to full 35 GB download (I believe in the former than the latter) and for now, lone driving, like 99.9% of rallying games.
Edit: Those who downloaded the game and played it, can give us a better idea of how big the download size is. I don't have the game, YET.

Passing other cars will be later this year when they release the FIA Rallycross World Championship content into the game.

Jeez, with so many complaints it sounds like they just released a beta or something... They should have billed it as Early Access, then, huh? ;)

I'm willing to give the new project head the benefit of the doubt. I've done 3 early access racing games and seen them all change massively during production. All were headed by enthusiasts, too.

And for what its worth, I have WRC1 and WRC3 and like them both. WRC3 especially. They're not perfect, but I haven't had to reinstall RBR... I think the Dirt Rally Career mode sounds interesting too.

So, I plan buy this how big size for this Dirt Rally Early Access?
And can we pass the opponent on rally stage like old Dirt series or just driving alone?

Download size is 7.4gb for me. Downloading it now so not sure about installed size yet :)

BTW I just joined up to this forum. Getting back into my racing sims after a long break, and found some great advice and tips here so I look forward to interacting some more with you guys! :)

Also some of the comments about this game made me take a punt on it - at the 10% off its a great price really, even if I don't end up playing it so much. I pre-ordered Project Cars also today, so that I will get the 3 modified cars for the "pre-orderers" :D

Has anybody got their clubsport shifter working? Mine only works in sequential mode it don´t take my mappings just like previous codies games don´t.

Don´t know what to think. Want to stay positive but comparing this to RBR it feels like Dirt Rally need to climb over the moon to reach that level. Taken into account early access and all . This should be the goal of Codie surpass Richard Burns Rally. Heck the graphics in Richard burns rally hardly even look dated in comparison????. Sure Dirt Rally don´t have Dirt 3 polish but still.

Unrealistic goal. Maybe they can reach Rally Trophy levels they do make it a bit harder with simulating a bigger variety of cars.

My first impression with Dirt Rally
I tried the Fiat 131 ( haven't tried anything else yet)
1. excellent graphics terrain, and inside the cockpit:thumbsup:
2.engine sound okay nice:thumbsup:
3. I cant feel the road at all with my G27:cautious:
4. immensely great steering lag ( I have to set the steering lock at 240 degree)
if I don't want 20 cm of deadzone:cautious:
5. I cant find option for H shifter---70 cars didn't have paddle shifters ;)
( but I can see someone have found it )
6. no option for using clutch, or I cant find it ( clutch on a70s car should be important )
7. over steer under steer cant say anything about it before above it is being fixed:cautious:
8. the terrain I see when I drive early morning on a Monte carlo stage with a light snow shower is just BLOODY GREAT :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
9. work on the steering input codemasters

Last edited:
3. Not implemented yet I think same on TX. There is some feel when hitting a stone head on at least. I think... maybe.. yeah I think I can feel something lol

4, 5 and 6. Really look in the controls you will find the solution for the 20 % deadzone and how to enable clutch and H-shifter.

9. btw as for linearity slider anybody know how these work in codies game. Is -10, 0 or 10 supposed to be the most linear? The physics need so much patching I don´t know if I am trying to correct one error with another.

Seems to be seeing my wheel as a controller (LS and RS for steering input) and so doesn't show the advanced settings to get rid of the god awful dead zone. Has anyone tracked down where these settings are stored? The config XML file in the My Games section just has controller as Auto. There are various pre-defined input devices in the install folder but these haven't updated since the install though I guess I could zero out the dead zone in every single one.

I dont like codemaster to release a game calling it a sim without a minimun ffb. But yeah hate me. Since yesterday codemaster is the greatest and 2 days ago they were sh*t. I'll wait to forgive their sh*tty games till they show me something for real, no some smoke and wheel vibration. But thats me, thats all.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.