DiRT Rally DiRT Rally out on Steam Early Access

Codemasters has surprised everyone with today's launch of Dirt Rally on Steam, under the Early Access label.

Judging from the official Steam Announcement, Dirt Rally features at launch (which is right now) 17 cars and 36 stages taken from 3 different locations (Monte Carlo, Acropolis and Wales).

SEE ALSO: Brand New Community Made DiRT Rally Videos

As you can see from the announcement, one of the biggest bullet points is "Simulation Handling". While we still haven't tried it yet, Codemasters definitely seems to be aiming for a more unforgiving driving model, with a "brand new model that simulates everything from the way the surface of the road behaves to limited slip differentials." Exactly how sim-like it will be remains to be seen, but it's indeed a good start.

Dirt Rally will also feature asynchronous events, team management providing improved repair times, league support.

Dirt Rally is currently in Early Access and available for the price of 26,99€, and it's going to receive new content in the form of cars, tracks and features for free.

Are you surprised as well by the Codies' announcement? Let us know your opinion in the comments!
DiRT_Rally_Announce_06.jpg

I think the Rally market is hungry for a decent Rally title and this may be a chance to push for some of the things we'd like to see improved or included. Of course, it's early access and I think Codies are trying a different approach in this segment.

I'll be giving it a try tonight.

Downloaded with high hopes...

Fanatec CSWv2 question: I get vibrations and surface info transmitted through the wheel OK, but seem to be lacking any steering FFB other than that. Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just a quick update after my first rally.

We have to remember here that this is an early access build and things will improve.

It took me around 7 minutes to complete my first rally stage and in that time I think I blinked about 3 times; you really have to think about what you're going to do in 3 corners time, my concentration levels match what they are when I play RBR (which I suck at btw).

The game looks really good, I had to turn the settings down from Ultra to High to maintain 60fps, it sounds great too.

The force feedback on my Thrustmaster TX was frankly awful, I ran 360 deg rotation, I refuse to go any lower as it's a rally car after all, I want to be throwing the wheel around a bit, but only in heavy lateral load moments did I feel anything, I really hope they get on to this as a priority because no matter how good a game looks, if it doesn't feel right then what's the point, right?

I like the clean menus and overall layout for now, and the HUD when racing is also a step forward from DiRT 3 - more rally focused which is what we want! The colourful sketch style corner icons feel like they don't belong, I would much prefer a simple arrow with a number next to it, however this is again a step forward from the rotation style track map from previous DiRT games.

On the whole, first impressions are mixed, but I am left hopeful that this will evolve in to something rally sim fans have been wanting for years.

Last edited:
My Fanatec CSR wheel feels like crap. It defaults to Elite wheel in setup, no way to change that. Jerky steering as a result (I hope its the wheel settings). I have dual GTX 780's and it stutters quite badly. No manual shifter we know, triple screen support seems good. Not useable till my wheel is supported as my control is funky.

Not sure how to take Warren's post, lol.

Started off - On the whole I am happy.

4 paragraphs later - On the whole, first impressions are mixed.

:p

I bought in to the EA anyways, lol. Man can never have too many driving titles.

Just hope it gets more regular updates than Wreckfest.

Not sure how to take Warren's post, lol.

Started off - On the whole I am happy.

4 paragraphs later - On the whole, first impressions are mixed.

:p

I bought in to the EA anyways, lol. Man can never have too many driving titles.

Just hope it gets more regular updates than Wreckfest.
Haha, I should've proof read it! On the whole I am embarrassed right now :(

Looks, great, sounds great, but on G25/G27 at least it leaves alot to be desired in FFB. Could blow up if it gets the right ammount of tweaking and attention, definately has potential
struggling to see where that potential is. ffb & physics are essentially non-existent. the only thing ive noticed is that the breaks do lock, tho in a manner in which you cant feel the bite point at all so its impossible to have ABS off. everything else (well that included) i could feel with a controller. could prob drive as well w/ keyboard, physics are that dead.

So, first impressions are...

• FFB isn't there, or, the F is there, not the FB. There is a lot of force, no feedback.
  • Either the speeds are to low, grip to good, or brakes to good. I'm not sure what yet. But it feels like I can brake way to close to the corners, both in the Gr.A and 2010's cars. The Gr.B 4WD felt better there, but I need some more testing with those.
  • The Monte-Carlo stages... I thought I chose Col de Turini up, and down, but I never came to the mytical "flat" on the top there. Also, when I braked it felt like I had tarmac-tyres (on the snow), it just sailed, but when I released them, it was grippy as ****. So I don't know
  • No chance to change tyres, that was a big disappointment!

Will test more through the night though :)

BTW: Who got the H-Pattern to work? I cannot get it to work, no clutch either O.o

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 366 15.9%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years