Details of Future Wreckfest Improvements Revealed

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Next Car Game Wreckfest.png

Bugbear Entertainment have revealed plenty of interesting content and feature updates coming to Wreckfest in the very near future...

We've had plenty of pretty solid updates for Wreckfest over the last couple of months, and it looks like the work is still very much underway over at Bigbear HQ. Confirmed as part of a recent update blog posting, this exciting crash and bang racing game looks likely to have plenty of additional content and features head its way in the very near future, from the likes of new cars, improvements to the existing user interface, additions to the game career, improves to damage and plenty more to boot!

So what exactly is in the works for Wreckfest going forward? I'll just leave this here...

NEW CARS
A racing game can never have enough cars, so yes, we’re indeed working on some new ones. We’re still keeping these ones under the wraps while we’re putting finishing touches on them but in our true-and-tried style once again there will be some much sought-after fan-favourites as well as some surprises.

BACKER CAR
Understandably, quite a few of you have been asking how the backer car is doing (featured in the Deluxe Edition of the game) and when it’s coming, and we’re happy to let you know that it’s alive and kicking! It’s currently being finalized so it won’t be long until you’ll get to take it out for a spin.

NEW PAINT JOBS
To add more variety, authenticity as well as customization possibilities we’re adding more banger racing and demolition derby inspired paint jobs for the cars. We’re also currently looking for a way to improve the way the AI uses paint jobs and liveries during the career so that for example in a banger racing themed series the AI would use banger racing themed liveries.

CAREER IMPROVEMENTS
We’re adjusting the career based on your feedback to make it seem less repetitive, and to that end, we’re adding more special one-off events and challenges to spice it up nicely. We’ve also expanded the reward functionality, so performing well in an event will be rewarded with new upgrade and customization parts for the vehicles that you own. These will be based on the series theme, so a racing series will grant racing upgrades, while a demolition derby series will get you heavy bumpers and so forth. Oh, and it’s now possible to check the bonus objectives in the pause menu, and every time you make progress towards the goal or complete it, you will receive an on-screen notification. Hurray!

MORE DYNAMIC CONTENT FOR TRACKS AND POLISH
To make the gameplay more interesting and set the stage for more spectacular crashes, we currently in the process of adding more dynamic content such as tire stacks and billboard to the tracks. In additional to that, we’re also doing a polishing pass to the tracks, meaning adding extra details, fixing remaining bugs and so forth.

SPECTATOR AUDIO
Speaking of tracks, we’re also adding some crowd noises, so that every time you race past a spectator stand you will hear the crowd cheering and so on. In a grand scheme of things it might be a detail, yes, but it does add some nice ambiance and make the tracks seem so much livelier.

USER INTERFACE IMPROVEMENTS
We’re currently overhauling many of the current placeholder menu screens, and for example the garage screen will be completely replaced with a new one, offering more interesting visuals and expanded functionality such as an ability to preview the vehicles with stats before making a purchase. The series selection screen has also been reworked, making it now easier to get an overview of the current championship.

DAMAGE IMPROVEMENTS
Since the last update we’ve been working on further improvements for vehicle damage, and some good stuff is coming. In the next update, the body damage will look more dynamic and the panels will deform in a way that we feel is more natural for sheet metal. Also – and hey, this is actually a big one – the engine block will no longer get horribly deformed with visual damage, yielding more realistic looking results

AI IMPROVEMENTS
We’ve evaluated the AI difficulty based on the feedback we’ve received and made some adjustments accordingly, so that the Novice AI is slightly more challenging with less obvious rubberbanding, and the jump between Amateur and Expert difficulty is not as significant as previously. Also, we’re adding AI players using for example a Class C car upgraded to Class B in order to add more variety to the career events.

REALISTIC DAMAGE IN MULTIPLAYER
This is something that many of you have been asking for, and we’re happy to let you know that yes, it’s been planned from the get-go and it’s coming in the next update. We’re also fine-tuning realistic damage so that the gameplay damage and mechanical damage better matches what you see on the screen.

IMPROVED STABILITY
Thanks to the community pointing us the right way, we pinpointed and fixed two critical cases which caused dedicated server instability, and we’re confident that after the next update the server software will be more stable. Also, to make sure that we can attack any current and future issues as vigorously as possible we’re integrating a handy middleware that provides an easy and powerful platform to trace errors and catch crash dumps even with the public release build. In other words, if the game crashes on you we will be the first ones to hear about it.

Wreckfest is available for PC with console versions due to release during 2018.

Check out the Wreckfest Sub Forum here at RaceDepartment for the latest news and discussions regarding the sim. For added excitement we have an already immensely popular and exciting Racing Club, details of which can be found here.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Looking forward to the future of Wreckfest? What are you most excited to see coming to the game? What would you like to see added? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:

M D Gourley

Premium
Looking forward to the future of Wreckfest? What are you most excited to see coming to the game? What would you like to see added?
Really looking forward to the future of Wreckfest as it is shaping up to be a very unique racer with some Sim like features....and what I would like to see added at some stage would be Cockpit seating adjustments, as for me personally that would be the icing on the cake.

Excellent news, good to see the continued development of such a fun racing game on PC.

The console crowd are even more excited. As the game stands it is worthy of a game preview release and I think they'd win a lot more fans that way too. Get the game out there in 'early access' on all platforms, let people play it and continue the updates.

I am loving the game that this is finally turning into. Really hope that a future update before 1.0 release will bring a bit more realism to the FFB, I want to feel it in the wheel when I smash through a fence or competitor. And cockpit seat adjustments (up, down, fore, aft) would be great also.

Career needs proper AI rivals with names and avatars to have an immersive competition and progression. Random nicknames look weird and does not bring a continunity.
The names are stored in a simple text file in your Wreckfest folder, it's called ai_names.txt or something like that.

I've made myself a file that has drivers from WRC, F1, WRX, WTCC, WEC, NASCAR etc. that has around 250 names. I can share the file tomorrow (not home atm) if there is interest. Makes the experience a lot more impressive when racing against Räikkönen, Solberg, Earnhardt jr. and Ho-Pin Tung :thumbsup:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 88 19.0%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 41 8.9%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000