Design a Track Competition!

Jimlaad43

Nice apex, I'll take it!
Staff
Premium
TD.jpg

Welcome to a Track Designing Competition. Let's see you flex those brains of yours and delve into your inner Hermann Tilke to design a Race Track!

For the purposes of ease, the challenge will utilise a route tracing website called gmap-pedometer. Set the map style to "Satellite" and trace your route using double clicks to lay down a marker. It's a simple website, and practice makes perfect.

So "what track are we designing?" I hear you cry. Well, Liberty Media desperately want another Grand Prix in the USA, so we're going to redesign a former Grand Prix venue for a modern Formula One race.

Redesign the Sebring International Raceway in central Florida for Formula 1. Keep the pits where they are, and keep it clockwise, but apart from that, try to re-imagine the track any way you like.

The winner will win a full month of Premium membership, so make those tracks awesome. The competition closes on Friday 27th October.

Good Luck, and enjoy designing tracks!

Last edited:
I thought that RaceDepartment was made to race and inform about racing, but lately it's becoming more and more like a quiz playing 'guessing' and 'redesigning' games.
:thumbsdown:

I refuse to "redesign" Sebring like Tilke "redesigned" Hockenheim.

The moral of the story is "If it ain't broke, don't pay Tilke a bunch of money to move in a destroy an iconic circuit."

Therefore, I'm leaving Sebring alone. That's my submission.
I don't think someone told to make it like a modern day F1 track :p

Also, my opinion is the new Hockenheim is a great track, but is massively underrated because it "lives" in the shade of the old track. Given that he had to redesign it (he didn't come up with the new circuit and said, "yes, I will replace the old one with this", he was told to do so), I believe he did a very good job. ;)

I thought that RaceDepartment was made to race and inform about racing, but lately it's becoming more and more like a quiz playing 'guessing' and 'redesigning' games.
:thumbsdown:
Well, the redesign might go on to be a new track mod, you never know.

But anyway, you can still race and get informed about racing, I don't see a problem with quizzes and racing co-existing here ;)

My attempt: http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7158790

Last edited by a moderator:
It doesn't need any changes other than replacing the concrete barriers with safer ones. Done. Doesn't need tilkerifying. Leave it alone.

Sebring_International_Raceway.svg

I wanted to make it more "SPEEDYYYY" while still having some slow corners (really slow).
I made some 90 degree turns more smooth so you can carry more speed. But boi... I have made some really slow corners from former turn 7 and turn 16. Yeah , adn i made a big extension from turn 4 upwards, so former straight/turn 6 is no more. Now its 4.1 miles long instead of old 3.7.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7158804

track sebring.jpg

Call me Tilke...

Attachments

• track sebring.jpg
    track sebring.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 326
Last edited:
Another great track should be ruined because of F1? Let me laugh... Today as a joke of an "racing" series it is, it doesnt deserve to even exist. It's only for Mickey mouse's... Former glory long gone.

Reactions: Rob
https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/m/?r=7158817&rf=1
Went a bit more dramatic with the layout changes while not upsetting the great flow to this circuit. The overtaking opportunities on this circuit are not artificially created corner into long streight into right corner like Mr Tilke seems to think works which it does not all the time, it is a lot more complex than that( oh and I hate slow speed chicanes so none of those)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 87 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 122 27.2%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 73 16.3%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 10.2%
  • €3001-5000