Daytona 24 Hour Discussion Thread

• Deleted member 387850

What is that noise when the Ford is braking?

I’m so glad you asked that! I’ve been wondering about that sound on the latest Porsche GT3 and GT3 Cup in R3E and then heard it on the GT40 whilst watching the coverage. I’d filed it under “everything you’ve always wanted to know but were too embarrassed to ask” :D

Am back now. Basically used this thread to catch up on what I missed. Sounds like an incident packed few hours for #23!

Same! I watched until midnight and then read this thread before resuming watching. Need my sleep these days ;)

Reactions: DND
  • Deleted member 387850

if they mean this "muuurrrrrhp" sound, its the compressor for the sequential gearbox.

That's an accurate description of that sound! When I flick from the live coverage to the timing screen you know when they're onboard with a GT40. Personally I find it to be like nails on a chalkboard, but I'll bet you'll not find a Ford driver complaining :D

That's an accurate description of that sound! When I flick from the live coverage to the timing screen you know when they're onboard with a GT40. Personally I find it to be like nails on a chalkboard, but I'll bet you'll not find a Ford driver complaining :D

nails on a chalkboard? that would be a high pitched squeel, wouldnt it? are we talking bout the same noise? i dont know :D

high pitched squeel would be most likely the transmission whine,
medium pitched "meeerrrp" sound is the gearbox compressor

• Deleted member 387850

Shortly discussing it on IMSA Radio.

Yep, listening intently but it seems there is just as much confusion over whether it's connected to anti-lag or the gearbox. Hope they get a proper answer at some stage :)

• Deleted member 387850

nails on a chalkboard? that would be a high pitched squeel, wouldnt it? are we talking bout the same noise? i dont know :D

Sorry, bad choice of expression! I didn't mean it literally sounds like nails on a chalkboard, I meant that as an expression for how irritating I find that sound :D

Yep, heard the confirmation on the stream that it's the gearbox. Thumbs up to those that called it earlier in this thread! I just looked up the Mega-Line gearbox they mentioned and you can find some interesting information on the system on their website.

Well I watched until 2am UK time. Then had a little bit of sleep.

Still anyone's race at the front in all three catagories. Looking good for the rest of the race :)

Surprising about all the issues with the Mazda's. Only due to all the testing they did last year.

I see Roger Penske was working his magic on strategy again. Haha.

Have to try and get to this one or sebring next year. Thinking about petit le mans in October but we'll see.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.