Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?
NJMotion Compact-R base, but it's from Spain. I don't know if paying customs with be worth, now that you are not Europeans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just got new e-Brake parts, 64eur including shipping from Poland to Finland.
(NLR support arranged)

I think I can´t change whole parts because case is closed by staples and don´t wanna drill those off.
I´ll take only brake disc´s inside of them and try if squeaking is gone.

NLR Motion Platform V3 eBrakes.jpg

edit:

Parts changed, it took about hour.
I think what matters is disc and springs.
Now just gaming and hope it helped for squeak / whistle sound.
NLR eBrake removable parts.jpg

edit2:

Three hours ofracing and not any sqeaking / whistling sound so it seems this solved the problem :)
How ever can´t be sure yet, so let´s see after week or two.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was able to get my issues resolved, was in general happy with the support. I have to say, taking a break from motion in my sim, and coming back to it a few weeks later - what a difference it makes. Now I know it doesn't make me faster, but it is a lot more fun (for whoever is reading this considering buy one...)

Upvote 0
Just got new e-Brake parts, 64eur including shipping from Poland to Finland.
(NLR support arranged)

I think I can´t change whole parts because case is closed by staples and don´t wanna drill those off.
I´ll take only brake disc´s inside of them and try if squeaking is gone.

View attachment 505920

edit:

Parts changed, it took about hour.
I think what matters is disc and springs.
Now just gaming and hope it helped for squeak / whistle sound.
View attachment 505935

edit2:

Three hours ofracing and not any sqeaking / whistling sound so it seems this solved the problem :)
How ever can´t be sure yet, so let´s see after week or two.
I hope it solved it for you, fingers crossed. So you changed both sides? Because I sometimes wonder when they say "change the e-brake" if they mean one of them (and in such case - which one?) or they always mean both sides.

Upvote 0
I hope it solved it for you, fingers crossed. So you changed both sides? Because I sometimes wonder when they say "change the e-brake" if they mean one of them (and in such case - which one?) or they always mean both sides.
Yes I mean both sides.
I changed every part what you can change, so only what you can´t change is electrical part (coil / magnet) because electric board is inside of platform V3 and it´s sealed with staples.
But now I have two of those for spare parts so if there will be electrical problems with eBrakes then I just drill staples off.
(Don´t understand why they do not use screws)

edit: Or maby you can reach electric board from bottom by removing fans like at calibration tutorial video...don´t know because I didn´t open bottom?!?

Few more hours racing and still not any sqeaking so I believe this was solution.

You can try clean those brake discs with sandpaper and put little washers under springs.
I tried sandpaper before but maby it was too fine roughness or discs was too glazed.

@karloy may I ask what was source of your sound?
You had to send it to Motion Systems?
And yes, I fully agree that Motion Platform V3 is just great equipment for simracing.
I thought SFX-100 but after watched few videos from Tube, it´s way too noisy for my apartment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I mean both sides.
I changed every part what you can change, so only what you can´t change is electrical part (coil / magnet) because electric board is inside of platform V3 and it´s sealed with staples.
But now I have two of those for spare parts so if there will be electrical problems with eBrakes then I just drill staples off.
(Don´t understand why they do not use screws)

Few more hours racing and still not any sqeaking so I believe this was solution.

You can try clean those brake discs with sandpaper and put little washers under springs.
I tried sandpaper before but maby it was too fine roughness or was too glazed.

And yes, I fully agree that Motion Platform V3 is just great equipment for simracing.
I thought SFX-100 but after watched few videos from Tube, it´s way too noisy for my apartment.

I never found out where it came from - I actually had an issue with one of the motors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see you sold yours @Mace73 . I got new e-brakes from NLR on the warranty and changed them around Christmas. After about 20-25 hours the squeek came back. I just dont get what it is that causes the sound?! I am in contact with the support and they are very kind, but when I ask how the whole thing works I dont get any explaining answers, maybe it is a company secret :) For example, when I had the squeek the first time the advise was to take the ebrakes off and rebend the small clip that is attached on the hexagon. I did that and the sound disappeared for some hours and then came back again. Next time I got new ebrakes which makes me wonder what is the deal with the clip-ons? However I will take apart the old ebrakes this week and see if I can understand it better. The support has offered me to send the device to them so that is the next option, but it would be nice to understand how the things works and maybe find out where the sound comes from.

Upvote 0
I see you sold yours @Mace73 . I got new e-brakes from NLR on the warranty and changed them around Christmas. After about 20-25 hours the squeek came back. I just dont get what it is that causes the sound?! I am in contact with the support and they are very kind, but when I ask how the whole thing works I dont get any explaining answers, maybe it is a company secret :) For example, when I had the squeek the first time the advise was to take the ebrakes off and rebend the small clip that is attached on the hexagon. I did that and the sound disappeared for some hours and then came back again. Next time I got new ebrakes which makes me wonder what is the deal with the clip-ons? However I will take apart the old ebrakes this week and see if I can understand it better. The support has offered me to send the device to them so that is the next option, but it would be nice to understand how the things works and maybe find out where the sound comes from.
Hi!
Sad to hear that it didn´t work for You.
Yes I sold my´n and bought eRacing Lab DIY Mega+
But new owner of NLR V3 is very happy for that and not any complains about sqeaking or anything else.
Hours of usage was ~400 hours when I sold it. Product collect hours so also new user(s) see how much it´s used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have the squeak noise as well and got the video so I'll be trying to fix it myself soon. I don't have high hopes after reading the previous posts about the noise coming back. After watching the video this really doesn't seem like something an end user should have to do. I've had mine for 2 years but not that much time on it.

I'm perplexed as well as what would be causing the noise? What do those clips have to do with anything noise related. Is it scraping the inside of the cylinder that goes over it? Is it hurting anything or can it cause greater damage? It would be nice to have those answers.

Upvote 0
@Mace73 I'm curious to hear your thoughts comparing the Motion v3 to your current chassis mover setup.

It looks like NLR now has a new chassis mover setup as well that was just announced. https://nextlevelracing.com/products/motion-plus-platform/

I already have the v3 and TP, but am really tempted to also throw the new system into the mix. I assume the v3 would not be needed with the motion plus platform though.

The V3 has more degrees of angle possible and has a great "surge" effect when landing after going airborne in Dirt Rally. By itself with the limited range of motion, I seriously doubt the motion system could reproduce that landing effect.

However for most track motion, I don't think the NLRv3 would be necessary.

I think the V3 having +/- 10 degrees of motion is better for flight. However operating rudder pedals is effected more by seat motion than driving pedals.

Taking the V3 out of the equation would allow for using brake pressure beyond 60kg which will cause the V3 to quit. Taking it out would also reduce the weight which would likely improve the response of the motion system.

Upvote 0
Motion Plus Platform seem to be 3500eur and with that price you can get eRacing Lab DIY MEGA+ (including shipping and taxes) where is 150mm movement.
Image_480x480.gif

What comes to NLR V3 vs 4 actuator system, those feel different, both are good.
There is thread where few guys compared which one is better and are those good combined.
All ended to four actuator 3DOF system (SF-100 / SF-150) and sold V3, like me also.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes