Buying advice please - Next Level v3 Motion Platform

I'm looking for some advice and thoughts of other owners or people with good knowledge of the product, please.

I always said I'd buy myself a motion simulator if I could afford one and had the room available. Well, that day may have arrived. I'm impressed by what I've seen of the Next Level v3 Motion Platform

This seems to meet all my criteria:

+ Limited space requirements, I don't have room for a huge sim rig but this seems compact enough to work.
+ Works with Oculus Rift VR, that fixed head position setting solution is impressive
+ Great support and regular updates from the developers
+ Available in the UK
+ Works with my current Thrustmaster wheel and accessories.
+ Sub £3k for the full setup, I'm not a pro racer I'm not looking for a practice simulator this is just for fun so the cost/fun balance has to be right.

So help me do the man maths! Is it worth it?

Is there another similar product I should also look at? It would need to be reasonably compact, work with VR, available in the UK without too much hassle and in the same £3-5K price range.

Is there anywhere I can try one or even better several of the systems in the UK?

Hmmm... When it has a big error it usually pops up. I'm not at my computer at the moment and I can't remember exactly, there should be somewhere in the settings where you can download the logs and send them to nlr.

Upvote 0
Looks like there is a new 2 DOF seat mover in town.

Barry seems to like it a LOT better than the NLRv3 and the pricing is similar.

The downsides are that it runs on 220V uses a lot more power and is bulky comparatively. I wouldn't be able to keep my rig mobile with something like this so it isn't even an option for me. Also if I'm going to effectively have a servo rack and need a 220V transformer, I would definitely go to a full chassis mover instead.

Upvote 0
Looks like there is a new 2 DOF seat mover in town.

Barry seems to like it a LOT better than the NLRv3 and the pricing is similar.

The downsides are that it runs on 220V uses a lot more power and is bulky comparatively. I wouldn't be able to keep my rig mobile with something like this so it isn't even an option for me. Also if I'm going to effectively have a servo rack and need a 220V transformer, I would definitely go to a full chassis mover instead.

Looks nice for us in the UK though with our fancy 240v ;)

Upvote 0
The US has 240V in our homes, but frequently we only run 240 to our AC units, electric ovens and driers.

It does look like this unit has a chunk more power though.

Cost depends on your particular situation and infrastructure, but an electrician should be able to install a 240 outlet. One thing to watch out for is how many amps your junction box can handle and what its current load is - may need an upgrade.

Upvote 0
Cost depends on your particular situation and infrastructure, but an electrician should be able to install a 240 outlet. One thing to watch out for is how many amps your junction box can handle and what its current load is - may need an upgrade.

I looked at running a bunch of 240V to my garage for tools and car charging a while back.

However in this case that is all a moot point. I would never upgrade to this unit because it would ruin the mobility of my rig.

Upvote 0
However in this case that is all a moot point. I would never upgrade to this unit because it would ruin the mobility of my rig.

Barry was able to insert the whole setup inside his P1X rig, that looks pretty movable to me, if you haev wheels on your rig... after that price is pretty much same as pt-actuators so that is another story... I wish barry would give a little more advice about who is this for: VR only user ? clean integrated look user ? ..

I am on the fence to buy a motion system, but it seems there are too many good choices out there. But it seems full motion via actuators seem to still be king so....

I am hitching to have a stealth install, with pt-actuator and all servo/controller inside my P1X chassis. I ALSO NEED TO KEEP MY RIG MOVABLE.

Attachments

• 117989963_3228680973891356_6534753464137722189_n.jpg
    117989963_3228680973891356_6534753464137722189_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 146
Upvote 0
At this point since I have a NLRv3, I think I'll stick with it until I go 6 DOF which could even be a hex system if it works well. When my rig is in the corner of the room it's right on the edge of my room scale area. Any increase in size will mean I'm hit the rig while in room scale mode.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I found this forum (and this particular thread about a week ago) and have been savoring it a little bit at a time. Loads of useful info and lots of helpful people.

Anyway, you guys have convinced me to take the plunge and buy a V3. It sounds perfect for my requirements. Thanks for all the help.

(5 months ago I thought I was being extravagant buying a G29, the Logitech shifter and an Omega stand - Haha! little did I know... :) When will the spending stop!)

Upvote 0
Well, it arrived and I've just installed it. Started to get all excited but my computer does not install the drivers automatically and the Next Level Racing webpage will not accept the serial number. Even when I download the tool to extract the serial number (it finds the V3 fine) and copy paste it. So I cannot download the drivers. No fun for me tonight. So disappointed.

Update - I took a guess that the 'E' showing up at the beginning of the serial number might be a typo and tried '3' instead. It worked! :) I have software.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, it arrived and I've just installed it. Started to get all excited but my computer does not install the drivers automatically and the Next Level Racing webpage will not accept the serial number. Even when I download the tool to extract the serial number (it finds the V3 fine) and copy paste it. So I cannot download the drivers. No fun for me tonight. So disappointed.

Update - I took a guess that the 'E' showing up at the beginning of the serial number might be a typo and tried '3' instead. It worked! :) I have software.

Glad you got it up and running! If you do have any issues, the NLR support are really good. Obviously you have to factor that they're in Australia for response times, but whenever I've had a query they've always got back to me quickly.

Upvote 0
I have mostly got it up and running. My first few tries were disappointingly underwhelming tbh (I think lots of frustration with the setup played into that - this thing is definitely not as plug n play as I was led to believe ) but now I've got the games detecting it and I'm starting to get it dialed in I'm loving it! A beer helped enormously. :) I've just had a go at Dirt 2.0 rallycross and it was amazing. So much more immersive (and physical!) than without. So yeah, I'm very much looking forward to more!

Upvote 0
So my motion platform hasn't been working properly for a while, After several emails with NLR they said the e-brake doesn't seem to engage. They sent me a video on how to do it, it seemed easy and I didn't want the time or expense of sending it back.
It seems it's not easy, the parts they instruct me to remove are impossible to move on mine and now I can't even get the thing back together.
Looking for advice from anyone whose had similar as I think it's gonna be a few days before i hear back from NLR.
NLR / Motion Systems video:

Before you take eBrakes out, look how those are positioned, take picture or use marker.
Motion Platform V3 eBrake adjust 1.jpg
No need to open bottom (do not use ball headed hex key, it just destroy screws. At first loosen little bit both screws with shorter part of hex key):
Motion Platform V3 eBrake adjust 2.jpg
If part is little stuck, use pliers to gentle take it out:
Motion Platform V3 eBrake adjust 3.jpg
At Motion Systems / NLR video is inch tool, but of course it´s mm:
Motion Platform V3 eBrake adjust 4.jpg
Now there is 3mm axle before that part and contactstrips are re-shaped to get better contact:
Motion Platform V3 eBrake adjust 5.jpg

Also cleaned brake parts (it´s little difficult and not necessary so maby better not to do it):
NLR V3 eBrake.jpg

I asked about squeaking sound which can be heared almost every time platform centered itself.
I greased every part what you can, but still squeaking.

First talked to Motion Systems and they told that sound comes from eBrakes and need to be adjusted. They do not give instructions for customers so contacted to NLR and got video link from there for adjusting eBrakes.
Took few pictures while operation.

At first sound disappeared but came back, however it´s not so disturbing anymore.
My´n is out of warranty so everything what you can DIY is welcome.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
NLR / Motion Systems video:

Before you take eBrakes out, look how those are positioned, take picture or use marker.
View attachment 495409
No need to open bottom (do not use ball headed hex key, it just destroy screws. At first loosen little bit both screws with shorter part of hex key):
View attachment 495410
If part is little stuck, use pliers to gentle take it out:
View attachment 495411
At Motion Systems / NLR video is inch tool, but of course it´s mm:
View attachment 495412
Now there is 3mm axle before that part and contactstrips are re-shaped to get better contact:
View attachment 495413

Also cleaned brake parts (it´s little difficult and not necessary so maby better not to do it):
View attachment 495415

I asked about squeaking sound which can be heared almost every time platform centered itself.
I greased every part what you can, but still squeaking.

First talked to Motion Systems and they told that sound comes from eBrakes and need to be adjusted. They do not give instructions for customers so contacted to NLR and got video link from there for adjusting eBrakes.
Took few pictures while operation.

At first sound disappeared but came back, however it´s not so disturbing anymore.
My´n is out of warranty so everything what you can DIY is welcome.
It wasn't possible to fix mine and it got replaced with a brand new unit :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 175 87.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 33 16.4%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 28 13.9%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 58 28.9%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 71 35.3%