• Goodbye Dan Gurney, and thanks for the memories...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Follow RaceDepartment also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

British Youngster Billy Monger Loses Lower Legs in Horrific F4 Accident

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 19, 2017.

1. mr_belowski

mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +70
    Bloody hell, that's heart breaking. He's my 8 year old son's favourite driver, I've not told him yet.

I'll be donating what I've got in my crew chief PayPal donations account

• Love Love x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    Devastating news...I learned of the crash, watched it and thought "OH MY GOD"...was hoping he would pull through and continue motorsports like normal, but then I see this...truly sad.

I'm sure some cars can be fitted with hand-controlled gas and brake, but I'm afraid his motorsports activities just suffered a huge downfall.

#KeepPushingBilly

3. Ross Garland

Ross Garland
    R3E & AMS Club Manager Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,739
    Poor kid, I feel so bad for him. To lose both your legs and very likely your dream along with them... I can't imagine how terrible that must feel. My very best wishes to him and his family.

4. Mick Aspinall

Mick Aspinall
    Premium

Ratings:
    +65
    Was watching live on TV, they had just cut to Billy's in-car camera when the accident happened. Horrible to see and was instantly worried about his legs, the latest news update confirmed my fears. I hope he is able to recover from his horrific injuries, just donated thanks for the link. Big thanks to all the Marshals and emergency crews who helped on the day.

5. Caton XII

Caton XII

Ratings:
    +20
    So sad, this young talented boy must be so in pain..!

6. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,845
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DriverJay

DriverJay

Ratings:
    +25
    Sad news but glad he is alive, the accident was the worst ive seen in a long time especially the on board live footage

8. Karl S.

Karl S.

Ratings:
    +32
    Terrible news! This is a very sad reminder of the dangers of our beloved sports. I wish Billy Monger and his family all the best in this difficult time.

9. Wicked

Wicked
    Horsepower! My kingdom for some horsepower! Premium

Ratings:
    +124
    Sad news to hear for any driver and especially for one this young. I wish the best to him , his family and his friends.

10. tonio duran

tonio duran

Ratings:
    +6
    THE BLAME THE MORRIES OF THE CARS SO LOW BEFORE THEY LEAVE THE FLIGHT BECAUSE THEY LEFT THE HIGH MORRO HOW WEBER

11. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    er...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Stnry

Stnry
    Premium

Ratings:
    +111
    They just passed the 270k... I hope he manages to keep on fighting. And I hope the money gets into the right hands...

• Like Like x 1
    • Wow Wow x 1
  13. Matthew Allington

Matthew Allington

Ratings:
    +159
    Horrid news. I wish Billy the best in his recovery! :cry:

On another note, It's absolutely staggering how great the outpouring of support has been and how quickly the target money has been raised (over £260k now!!) :thumbsup: I raise my glass to the entire motorsport community - it's proper restoring-faith-in-humaity stuff. Especially to me after learning this evening that my relatives' shed was the target of an attempted break-in.

I'm proud to be a part of such a community as this.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. DaVeX↯

DaVeX↯
    Premium

Ratings:
    +393
    Can we put the donation page on top of news?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ado Pusina

Ado Pusina

Ratings:
    +15
    Feel sorry for the kid :/ Wish him fast recovery

16. Slyfrequency

Slyfrequency

Ratings:
    +388
    Billy Monger is such a huge talent, such a horrific crash :(

17. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +12,828
    @Blimey

I have edited your post and find your comment disgusting. Although I don't have the rights to hand out bans I have recommended you receive a permanent ban from RaceDepartment.

Your constant trolling is tiresome, but to do it on a topic such as this is beyond ridiculous. Seriously, please take a look at yourself and think if you really want to be the kind of person who makes comments like that about other human beings.

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Like Like x 2
  18. mantasisg

mantasisg

Ratings:
    +1,456
    What a nightmare !! This makes me very sad and angry. Couldn't the driver in front pull to the left side earlier, not last moment, thus making the kid almost no time to react.... But probably it is the situation when you can not really blame anybody, it is just such unfortunate combination of a lot of bad situations....

I've read one post that the guy in stationary car just spun and happened to stop spinning at that spot, it was the matter of few seconds, not even marshals had time to react.

And it seemed like formula cars are safe nowadays, but they really are not...

So terrible.

Best wishes to Billy, thankfuly we live at a time of big science, medicine achievements. Hopefully receovery will be as good as it can be.

• Like Like x 1
  19. delpinsky

delpinsky

Ratings:
    +76
    So sad news to hear :(
    I wish he can manage to live a good life despite this horrific event.
    The best of luck Billy! Do not give up!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Craig Patteson

Craig Patteson
    Natural Born Racer Racer in Pyjamas Premium

Ratings:
    +663
    Thoughts and prayers are with him and to see the fund raising is over £300,000 goes just to show the world can pull together for a very important cause

Keep strong billy

• Like Like x 2