British Youngster Billy Monger Loses Lower Legs in Horrific F4 Accident

I'm speechless. There's always danger in motorsport but I'm sure no one, himself included ever thought something like this would happen to him. I pray for him and his family.

In moments like this I can only wonder... is it all really worth it?
I know it's maybe a strange thing to say here on racing simulation forum but I can't help it, that question is now on my mind now and it won't go away...
For purpose "being fastest" and step in another, bigger, series, then another, and another, then eventually in F1 but... is it really worth it?
I'm sorry guys. Sorry mods.

@gamer19 What are the chances that something like this will happen ? Tragedies happen anytime, anywhere, often completely out of nowhere, completely unexpected. And not only when racing, or driving, in any activity anything wrong can happen. Of course racing is higher risk no doubt. But so much stupid things can happen for anyone...

This should be fun. Not a tragedy. If you're hit by a car when you cross the street it's because you were going to some place you really have to go. They don't have to be in those cars. This is out of entertaining purpose. There's so many other sports which could entertain, without putting your life on a line. It's a bit sad that the craziest it goes more fun for the fans it is. More speed the better. Not enough overtaking? - change the rules to make it more entertaining. This should be fun only.

In moments like this I can only wonder... is it all really worth it?
I know it's maybe a strange thing to say here on racing simulation forum but I can't help it, that question is now on my mind now and it won't go away...
For purpose "being fastest" and step in another, bigger, series, then another, and another, then eventually in F1 but... is it really worth it?
I'm sorry guys. Sorry mods.
I get where you are coming from. But there is a risk to anything in life. So should you give up the things you love, just for safety. And if you do, what is your life worth if it's sole purpose is to make sure you stay alive as long as possible.

I reckon all drivers know the risks, and they all race anyway. It's tragic that this happend to him ,but it's still very uncommon , motorsport is relatively safe now. In the 50's people raced, with leather caps and no downforce.

@gamer19 When you question your choice of path (motorsports), I think it's time to stop.

Aside from motorsports being ridiculously dangerous and bad for the nature, think of it as a way to make yourself useful. Those who live for racing wouldn't have much more, and by risking themselves in danger, they're doing a hero's job. And, by getting into motorsports, you accept the risks, no way around it.

I'd say it is worth it, and no matter what accidents you survive, you wanna keep going. Like a hero. ;)

Horrid news. I wish Billy the best in his recovery! :cry:

On another note, It's absolutely staggering how great the outpouring of support has been and how quickly the target money has been raised (over £260k now!!) :thumbsup: I raise my glass to the entire motorsport community - it's proper restoring-faith-in-humaity stuff. Especially to me after learning this evening that my relatives' shed was the target of an attempted break-in.

I'm proud to be a part of such a community as this.

Doesn't restore anything, he raised that money because motorsport is popular and everybody has seen the accident, but there are countless of people who suffer from all kind of serious problems, health, wars, etc and nobody cares about them. With the difference that a racing driver decides to be a racing driver, assuming that kind of risks. A kid who loses his legs or arms because someone dropped a bomb over his house isn't that lucky.

Sometimes I feel like an one of those poor Rome citizens on Colosseum wall.
Bread and circuses. The more I cheer the more fiercely they would fight.
If I wasn't there, if we're not there... for whom they would fight for?
Maybe it's up to us. Maybe we should stop. (support this)

There's so many other sports that could entertain our thirsty soul. Not only those in which spectators (WRC, earlier this year) and young drivers get killed or getting hurt ...as this bad. :-/
We're not in gladiators times anymore.

• Deleted member 217114

That's a heavy crash. Surely one of the dark sides of racing; the risk of an injury or even death.

Just goes to show, that even with the technology we use to build these tough monocock frames, there's always that chance that they won't protect the occupant 100%.
This is such a sad event for someone so young and talented, but I'm sure he will do well in his recovery and even return to racing in time, nothing is impossible if you put your mind to it, Alex Zinardi is a perfect example of what is possible.
I wish Billy a speedy recovery and hope to see him racing again sometime in the future, stay strong & positive young man.

It´s horrible for the boy and family, but this crowdfunding-campagne i find pathetic, especially in mind what the family already spent for his short career. **** like this happens every day to lots of people with far lower income living in countries with no free healthcare-system. Motorsport is still dangerous and being allowed to put young boys in fast race-cars without any driving licence is just one example of rich peoples privileges and the ultimate power of the car-industry.

And when the amputation is lower the knees, with the prothesis nowadays he can live a normal life. They will be not much more expensive than driving a F4 season (app. 100.000 Euro).

Even though it is not possible to make a carbon monocoque for all categories (especially open wheelers), it is inexcusable nowadays to not have enough structural resistance to withstand a crash like this one without major injuries like that. We have seen crashes in recent F1 that the driver carried a broken foot or some injury of the kind, while at vastly superior speeds than Monger's crash (ofc not into another car, but straight into a wall i.e.).

Will that increase the cost of motorsports? Sure. But it is an expensive sport by itself, and these kind of crashes only draw away possible newcomers, especially since most of the top level drivers have to start at a young age, naturally with their parents/guardians support.

Maybe risk is just a part of the whole thing, but I can't take it for granted as the technology is available. There is no excuse for something like that to happen imo.

Poor kid, he was just 17 years old :(:(:cry::cry:
In comparation with Max Verstappen's accident in Monaco 2015, this crash was more terrible :(:(:cry::cry:
I think F4 should improve safety and drivers below 18 mustn't compete in motorsport racing

Anyone know why there's a stationary car on track? The video on youtube is so blurred, but almost seem like it was there for awhile...
There was one post in a forum which I found through youtube comments. It was from somebody who was at the race. It was said that it spun because of slippery kerb, and happened to stop spinning at that spot, and it all happened in a span of few seconds. I don't know how legit this info is, but it explains why it is stationary on the track.

For me it is most unclear why the driver in front pulled to the left side at the very last moment. Maybe he didn't know how to avoid. So pulled a move last moment.

Hardly anybody is guilty, how the hell to avoid thing like this to happen....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back