• Goodbye Dan Gurney, and thanks for the memories...
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Follow RaceDepartment also on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Twitch, Steam and / or YouTube.

British Youngster Billy Monger Loses Lower Legs in Horrific F4 Accident

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    Jenson Button donated £15,000! What a guy. Other F1 drivers should donate too...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Angry Angry x 1
  2. gamer19

gamer19

Ratings:
    +397
    Wish they have donate a little bit earlier.
    To improve safety in these lower and less popular series, too.
    Sadly, it's not only F1 series in which people get seriously hurt.

3. Helmut Skrdla

Helmut Skrdla
    Premium

Ratings:
    +229
    Seems a whole bunch of drivers from series all across the world are donating.

I hope he can recover and maybe in time, if he still "feels it" get back into some form of racing. Think of Frédéric Sausset at last year's Le Mans.

4. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado
    Talking Door Racing

Ratings:
    +1,237
    And as soon as someone turns 18 they get Titanium bones and ultra reflexes that allow them to race?

The fact he is underage (in most countries) doesn't change a thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. DriverJay

DriverJay

Ratings:
    +25
    In life itself its all about risks and sometimes those risks can end in tragedy, If we didn't take risks then not just Motorspots but the human race as a whole would not improve upon its mistakes and we would be afraid of everything or stagnate, and just like Billy the answer is to never give up fight those set backs and put downs, become stronger, and if he decides to come back to motorsports in whatever form i will not be disappointed in him i would admire his bravery and support the lad all the way there to the finish line.

6. mopro

mopro
    Premium

Ratings:
    +29
    Let's hope this unfortunate event will results in a much safer F4 cars in particular and other motorsports in general. Speedy recovery Billy! may today's medical/prosthetic limb technology advancements will eventually help you race again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. silverdevill

silverdevill

Ratings:
    +0
    I happened to see this live, was stood there for over an hour watching them extract him from the car. Wishing him a speedy recovery now.

8. Shaun Clarke

Shaun Clarke
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,844
    WOW that is totally amazing. £534,650

• Like Like x 2
  9. Allan Ramsbottom

Allan Ramsbottom
    Premium

Ratings:
    +828
    Whilst this is tragic and heart wrenching,you have to remind yourself,this lad and his family knew the risks involved..He had talent,it was in his blood,he did what he enjoyed doing...Luckily he will see another day,others have,nt.The racing community is strong,you can see this clearly,he will recover,he can take inspiration from Zanardi,even inspire others.To question that its not safe is rubbish,no sport is 100% safe,it cant be too many variables...Donation sent,speedy recovery young man,keep the dream alive...you never no...

10. melanieuk

melanieuk

Ratings:
    +143
    Just watched this on the BBC News, what a trooper, the first thing he wanted to know was, is there a way he could continue drive using a hand controlled clutch, get well quick time.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Daniel Trapp

Daniel Trapp
    Anywhere but here

Ratings:
    +1,024
    This is so sad, I hope he can keep on racing in the future, just like Zanardi, I feel like any true racing fan with some spare money should at least donate 5 pounds.

12. Footwork84

Footwork84
    If it'is not existing, it doesn't break. Premium

Ratings:
    +48
    Everybody can donate.
    What do you think if we collect a free amount of money?

13. autofrank

autofrank

Ratings:
    +2
    Poor kid. I hope he doesn't loose hope. Look to Alex Zanardi, and be brave!

14. BrianUK

BrianUK
    So blunt a hammer looks sharp Premium

Ratings:
    +91
    A friend showed me the replay of the crash shortly after it happened. I had my money on broken legs at worst, but my heart really sunk when I saw the news story that he'd lost both legs. Totally shocking news, hope he keeps fighting and can race again someday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. formidable

formidable

Ratings:
    +29
    Monger... the surname is funny for a donation xD.

Poor boy. But I'm sure that it will be now on a race car.

16. rakesh27

rakesh27

Ratings:
    +5
    Very sad, no time to react... i feel for this lad. I hope this doesnt exstinguish his dream of becoming a racing driver, even with disability he can still make it.

All i know is, his life will change forever, it will be a long and hard road ahead for him and his family.

We never wish these things to happen to others, but as in life you have to keep pushing, you have to keep going, to be positive and feel maybe something can come of this.

Good luck Billy, maybe we will see you in the near future, still living the dream.

17. Tume

Tume
    The unlucky Finn

Ratings:
    +332
    Not to mention he did nothing wrong, just unsighted, nowhere to go, and very bad luck.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. fortyfivekev

fortyfivekev
    Premium

Ratings:
    +318
    Obviously, all best wishes to Billy for the future, but also to everyone else involved, the guy in the car he hit, the marshalls and the spectators who were there. I have been at a couple of race meetings where people were killed and it's not something you ever forget even just as a spectator.

I expect to see Billy racing again in the future (BTCC maybe) especially with Alex Zanardi, the Mission Motorsports guys and Fred Sausset having shown what is possible with even worse injuries.

19. Karl S.

Karl S.

Ratings:
    +32
    According to a BBC article, Billy Monger will race again. His cousin, racing car driver Mark Sumpter, is quoted as saying Billy "definitely wants to get back behind the wheel".

Formula 1 teams and drivers will be showing their support at Sochi with #BillyWhizz stickers.

Article link: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-surrey-39756801

I wish Billy Monger the strength needed for the recovery process that lies ahead of him and all the best for his future plans.

• Like Like x 2
  20. St3fan

St3fan

Ratings:
    +413