Anyone still using TrackIR in 2016?

Hi guys,

I am wondering if anyone is still using TrackIR, as its been out for awhile. I have been looking into getting TrackIR 5 but it seems that most people recommend it for flight sims however some people use it for racing sims. Is it worth getting? Please let me know if you have any experience with it. I just got triple 27 inch monitors as well.

EDTracker has one disadvantage: no positional tracking. If you move your head/body to the left or right (without turning), it isn't tracked. EDTracker only has rotational tracking. For racing not important. My father uses an EDTracker for racing and he is happy with it. I would like to see more 'expert' settings in curves and/or sensitivity, it's a bit basic. But that's me ;).

Upvote 0

From the RD club race with R3E. Once you have trackir setup right.... it is flawless! Feels so natual as you can see in the video. I don't re-centre trackir often, I'm not feeling neck strain even with an action camera strapped to my head.

Upvote 0

From the RD club race with R3E. Once you have trackir setup right.... it is flawless! Feels so natual as you can see in the video. I don't re-centre trackir often, I'm not feeling neck strain even with an action camera strapped to my head.

Yeah but ya look daft....:whistling::D

Upvote 0
Happy EDTracker Pro user chiming in here :) Should really use it more often, still not 100% sure how I can mount it best. Can't attach it to my headphones permanently, unfortunately. Maybe a headband or something with velcro

Upvote 0
I'm a TrackIR 4 user since 2009.
I recommend it for both, single and triple screens.
It takes time to get used to it but once you train your brain on how it works, you get addicted to it.

Setup it is important. I don't recommend its default configuration.

Try the 1:1 configuration first with low speed. Some people can get dizzy. Do some laps and adjust the configuration, firstly by changing the movements by enabling or disabling the parameters (x, y, z, pitch, roll, yaw and pitch). I also recommend to invert the roll effect.

This is a video recorded using a GoPro and a triple screen setup.

Planning to make a video in the near feature about my TrackIR setup and recommendations.

Best Regards

Upvote 0
I disabled 4 of the 6 axis'; I only left yaw (look left/right) and pitch (look up/down) enabled. Once I set-up the axis', deadzones, curves, etc. to my liking, it made it so natural and, well, it just works :).

Exactly the same as me just the yaw, see video below:

I actually returned to Track IR after a brief skirmish with Oculus Rift, but I had to return to my monitor [benq xr3501] due to missing the details.

Upvote 0
I have just made the leap into proper Track IR (I have tried the cheap free versions) and my god, I love it. What a difference. Currently using it in some race sims in offline racing and Elite Dangerous and my collection of Flight sims. It is fantastic and works right out the box, no messing. Combined with my ultrawide 34" monitor and sitting quite close it is just superb. It just feels so natural. FSX is a new flight sim with this as is DCS. Fantastic, highly recommended.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have just made the leap into proper Track IR (I have tried the cheap free versions) and my god, I love it. What a difference. Currently using it in some race sims in offline racing and Elite Dangerous and my collection of Flight sims. It is fantastic and works right out the box, no messing. Combined with my ultrawide 34" monitor and sitting quite close it is just superb. It just feels so natural. FSX is a new flight sim with this as is DCS. Fantastic, highly recommended.
I also have a 35'' 21:9 display [Benq XR3501 @144Hz), uncommonly coming from triple 27''@60hz(after triying 144hz you cant go back to 60hz:unsure:), and was wondering if the Track IR is worth it or not. You've set my mind closer to a yes...:cautious:
Does it work well on Automobilista and R3E? Thanks
keep it coming;)

Upvote 0
I also have a 35'' 21:9 display [Benq XR3501 @144Hz), uncommonly coming from triple 27''@60hz(after triying 144hz you cant go back to 60hz:unsure:), and was wondering if the Track IR is worth it or not. You've set my mind closer to a yes...:cautious:
Does it work well on Automobilista and R3E? Thanks
keep it coming;)
Hi Jopamir
It works just fine. I love it. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's very good. I really enjoy RRE with it. But it is better to disable one or two of the axis. I just use left and right movement. I also use it for flight sims and Elite Dangerous where it really comes into its most usefulness.

Upvote 0
I am using EDTrackerPro and it very similar to TrackIR in game, I love it, very natural in my opinion...
Here a quick video done with it ( I don't move my head a lot but you can notice it):

Upvote 0
Hi Jopamir
It works just fine. I love it. Takes a bit of getting used to but once you do it's very good. I really enjoy RRE with it. But it is better to disable one or two of the axis. I just use left and right movement. I also use it for flight sims and Elite Dangerous where it really comes into its most usefulness.
Thanks Andy for your reply
Im on doubt now, swinging between Track IR and EDTracker...:unsure:
From your comments, I guest any of them two is a good choice.
I really love the single screen+curved+35''or more+144hz solution, but sometimes, when on a real FOV, you miss the "natural" looking on your sides, not just the button glance (wich I use now). So yes, judging by your helpfull insights, I think I will put an order in the mail soon, Track IR or EDTracker yet to decide.
Thank you very much guys:)
Cheers,
Jose Paulo

Upvote 0
Thanks Andy for your reply
Im on doubt now, swinging between Track IR and EDTracker...:unsure:
From your comments, I guest any of them two is a good choice.
I really love the single screen+curved+35''or more+144hz solution, but sometimes, when on a real FOV, you miss the "natural" looking on your sides, not just the button glance (wich I use now). So yes, judging by your helpfull insights, I think I will put an order in the mail soon, Track IR or EDTracker yet to decide.
Thank you very much guys:)
Cheers,
Jose Paulo
Hi Jose
I would go for Track IR. It is much better albeit more expensive. I have tried the cheaper and free options and they are not a patch on Track IR. I put a wanted ad on here and I was very lucky that a nice chap by the name of @Denis Betty offered me a track IR 5 for a good price. And it really is just brilliant out of the box.
Cheers:thumbsup:
Andy

Upvote 0
Hi Jose
I would go for Track IR. It is much better albeit more expensive. I have tried the cheaper and free options and they are not a patch on Track IR. I put a wanted ad on here and I was very lucky that a nice chap by the name of @Denis Betty offered me a track IR 5 for a good price. And it really is just brilliant out of the box.
Cheers:thumbsup:
Andy
Hello again Andy
thanks for the advice. I see around here in my regular suppliers if they have it, if not I'll give a try on your recomendation. Thank you very much:thumbsup:
Btw, did you know LG as a 38" 21:9 Curved WQHD+ IPS Display | 1ms Motion Blur Reduction monitor...?! Only downside, for me at least apart the hefty price, is that it is 60/75Hz only... :( No fluidity here... But is the good direction I think for those like us, the "one-screen-lovers/triples are too much clutter/ VR is headache inducing" guys:cool:
Spot on, for me, would be 42'' 21:9 or 21:10 curved WQHD | 1ms response | 144/165hz | G-sync | monitor:inlove:
Lets wait and see what the future brings
Cheers
Jose

Upvote 0
I'm a TrackIR 4 user since 2009.
I recommend it for both, single and triple screens.
It takes time to get used to it but once you train your brain on how it works, you get addicted to it.

Setup it is important. I don't recommend its default configuration.

Try the 1:1 configuration first with low speed. Some people can get dizzy. Do some laps and adjust the configuration, firstly by changing the movements by enabling or disabling the parameters (x, y, z, pitch, roll, yaw and pitch). I also recommend to invert the roll effect.

This is a video recorded using a GoPro and a triple screen setup.

Planning to make a video in the near feature about my TrackIR setup and recommendations.

Best Regards
Have you made that vid yet? I'd like to watch it.

Upvote 0
I am using EDTrackerPro and it very similar to TrackIR in game, I love it, very natural in my opinion...
Here a quick video done with it ( I don't move my head a lot but you can notice it):

Yeah, in 1920x1080 resolution,I only need to move my eyes because you can't look very far ahead due to the FOV.

At 5760x1080 though....these tracking programs work great..I have to move my head to look as far ahead as the new FOV provides.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back