An office chair for simracing?

hmmm.. I hope this is in the right section :)

What style of chair is good for simracing and desk work (studying) at the same time... it needs to be multifunctional! :)

Budget... lets just say nothing over £1000 ;)

200 Hours+ in a basic folding chair, no pain, no movement, very low budget, easy to try... I have never found something better if you want to hide verything after a race.

The back position in a folding chair feels perfect for me and i am very sensible.

Office chair have wheels -> big problem.

Do you mean like a camping chair? Most these days seem to have arms, though, which would probably get in the way? e.g.

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-grey-folding-camping-chair/628-9719.prd?skuId=628-9719

Or do you mean a different type of folding chair?

Upvote 0
Or do you mean a different type of folding chair?

A chair like that :
dad_ycd_50_gg_black_plastic_folding_chair_wit.jpg

I'm very surprised it was the best solution with a desk, i tried many things and one day i had this chair in my storage. I tried, and since 200h+ it's my racing chair. Can't believe it...

Upvote 0
Just do what I did, buy a second hand REAL leather car seat from ebay( i got a BMW M5 seat for £60), bolt a sheet of aluminium plate to the bottom of it, bolt any office chair base to that and 'bobs yer uncle' you have a comfy, hard wearing cheap office / racing seat.;)

Upvote 0
Just do what I did, buy a second hand REAL leather car seat from ebay( i got a BMW M5 seat for £60), bolt a sheet of aluminium plate to the bottom of it, bolt any office chair base to that and 'bobs yer uncle' you have a comfy, hard wearing cheap office / racing seat.;)

Ingenious, but can't see the missus being too happy using that as her office chair (see my first post in this thread)...

Upvote 0
Well that's what I was thinking - with locking wheels do you find the chair doesn't slide at all when racing?
I`m locking only one wheel (out of 5) and I don`t have issue with sliding... but I don`t have loading cell - only 2 springs (progressively gets more heavy than stock T3PA pedals)

only thing with those chairs is that they are pretty high even on lowest possitino (mine 44cm) .... I was designing my pedals when using lower chair so now I have to construct something to elevate them 20-25 cm above ground

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I use a plastic folding chair. Sucks for long endurance races, but gets the job done and I only spent $20 bucks on it. I am running the T3PA pro pedals with Conical mod set right up against the brake arm.

Upvote 0
Love my Ikea Markus.
Casters are very smooth on carpet as well.
Most chairs of this type,the casters fall apart in time.

The Ikea Markus looks pretty good for the price - I have a few questions, though - @smasha - are the arm rests easily removable? I tend to prefer office chairs without arm rests, as they can get in the way of the desk. Also, are the casters on this lockable? If not, are they removable, so that you can replace these with third-party locking casters? Also, is it possible to lock the back at a fixed angle? Can you adjust the tilt angle of the seat? Thanks

Upvote 0
The Ikea Markus looks pretty good for the price - I have a few questions, though - @smasha - are the arm rests easily removable? I tend to prefer office chairs without arm rests, as they can get in the way of the desk. Also, are the casters on this lockable? If not, are they removable, so that you can replace these with third-party locking casters? Also, is it possible to lock the back at a fixed angle? Can you adjust the tilt angle of the seat? Thanks

The arm rests can be removed.
Casters aren't lockable but look standard (googling the net the Correct grip ring stem size is 10mm. Not 7/16" (11mm) and should be able to be removed but I love the ones on them as they are very well made compared to the cheaply made casters on most chairs.
The chair has adjustable and lockable tilt functions though I haven't used them.
When you push back on the chair,it gives a bit on purpose.
I'm 6'3" and the chair fits like a glove for me.
I only use a humble g27 with gteye spring in the brake pedal.
Just wondering if the chair would cause some problems when using stronger forced pedals.
I'm happy with mine after wrecking countless other computer chairs,mostly breaking caster wheels but this chair has great lumbar support and comfort.
Reading reviews some people hate it and others love it.
I'd test one before purchase.
Doesn' t compare to the Aeron chairs which cost upwards of 1k but I would recommend a racing rig if you're are going to spend that amount if you love your racing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The arm rests can be removed.
Casters aren't lockable but look standard (googling the net the Correct grip ring stem size is 10mm. Not 7/16" (11mm) and should be able to be removed but I love the ones on them as they are very well made compared to the cheaply made casters on most chairs.
The chair has adjustable and lockable tilt functions though I haven't used them.
When you push back on the chair,it gives a bit on purpose.
I'm 6'3" and the chair fits like a glove for me.
I only use a humble g27 with gteye spring in the brake pedal.
Just wondering if the chair would cause some problems when using stronger forced pedals.
I'm happy with mine after wrecking countless other computer chairs,mostly breaking caster wheels but this chair has great lumbar support and comfort.
Reading reviews some people hate it and others love it.
I'd test one before purchase.
Doesn' t compare to the Aeron chairs which cost upwards of 1k but I would recommend a racing rig if you're are going to spend that amount if you love your racing.

I'd buy a proper racing rig if a) I had space for it and b) the missus wouldn't complain. Sadly neither are the case... :rolleyes:

I'm 5'8" tall, of average weight and have Fanatec CSR Elite loadcell pedals, which I'm thinking of mounting on a WheelStand Pro. If I put locking casters on an Ikea Markus, do you think that setup is going to work for me? I live in Oxford and nearest Ikeas are in Birmingham and London, but I don't own a car currently (somewhat ironically), as don't need one for work etc., so would be a but complicate to go to a store to try the chair out.

Upvote 0
I'd buy a proper racing rig if a) I had space for it and b) the missus wouldn't complain. Sadly neither are the case... :rolleyes:

I'm 5'8" tall, of average weight and have Fanatec CSR Elite loadcell pedals, which I'm thinking of mounting on a WheelStand Pro. If I put locking casters on an Ikea Markus, do you think that setup is going to work for me? I live in Oxford and nearest Ikeas are in Birmingham and London, but I don't own a car currently (somewhat ironically), as don't need one for work etc., so would be a but complicate to go to a store to try the chair out.
My advice is no matter chair with wheels or none you still might have to consider a strap system between the chair and the stand to prevent the two from siding apart under heavy breaking.

Upvote 0
Okay, I might investigate that - Halfords sell various straps with ratchet systems, that might be suitable, I guess?

e.g. http://www.halfords.com/motoring/ro...ies/halfords-essentials-5m-hook-ratchet-strap
That looks a bit overkill! mine is made of plastic buckles and cheap carabiner clips 20 to 25mm wide webbing should be fine . I did have a couple of the quick release buckles
backpack-waist-bag-side-quick-release-clasp-buckles-25mm-webbing-strap-band-5pcs-de55110f57dd0920246863d9199a238d.jpg

but these started to pop open under hard breaking (it could have been I hade some realy cheap ones) so my suggestion of metal carabiner clips for quick release would be better. On the stand you might want to use short webbing straps with "D" rings to go around the pipes. The chair straps with the adjustable lock buckles will hook onto the "D" rings with the carebiner clips

I suggest before going out and getting all the straps and things , see if you need it or not. if you do a bit of rope will be an ugly but a good temp solution till you figure what you need strap wise to make it look somewhat presentable.

By the way I would use two straps if you use one from the center post of the stand and the center post of the chair you could have the chair shift of to one side depending on the pressure of the breaking

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back