An office chair for simracing?

hmmm.. I hope this is in the right section :)

What style of chair is good for simracing and desk work (studying) at the same time... it needs to be multifunctional! :)

Budget... lets just say nothing over £1000 ;)

I use a sporty office chair :p but I took the wheel castors off and fitted these, they are perfect, chair doesn't move an inch
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5x-Chrome...028877?hash=item4aed03cbcd:g:De4AAOSw-tNXHx9K

I have something a bit like that fitted to my current (though now rather very broken) office chair, they work well for keeping the chair from moving when sat on, though I found lowered the chair height by too much for regular use and it was a little annoying not to be able to move the chair on casters for normal use. Locking casters and a strap system might be the best versatile combo.

Upvote 0
With my previous desk I had some nylon rope tied around the base and the chair's piston, but it was a bit messy. For my new desk I tried a new solution. On the internet someone posted a solution (using aircraft pedals rather than car pedals).

It involved attaching the pedals to a long piece of wood which extended back to the chair. A hole was cut out of the wood into which one of the chair's wheels could go. I can't find the link but here's my version of that solution:
pedals_zpskfnywvpy.jpg

These pedals (g27) have several threaded holes. I used the two holes down the centreline. I cut the square hole using a multitool with a straight blade. When I want to do some driving, a chair wheel slots neatly into the hole. The wood was from my old desk, so it's really strong.

edit: The carpet is there for two reasons.
1) I didn't countersink the holes for the bolts, so they sit proud of the surface. The carpet stops them damaging the floor.
2) It stops the noise of the pedals going down to the room below.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is a good workable solution and I am sure one of the 101 other ways to skin a rolling chair;). The internet is a great place to share ideas, just wish some "folks" would follow suit instead of calling the lawyers at every step, just imagine the tec we could achieve if this was not the case. Long live opensource, one idea leads to another and another ........Ah I am rambling on.

Upvote 0
I bought a DXRacer 1 last week:
2_Robas_Lund_62501SR4_DX_Racer1_Chefsessel_mit_Armlehnen_Gestell-Nylon_78_x_124-134_x_52_Stoffbezug_schwarzrot.jpg

Removed the castors and installed some gliders. In combination with the wheel-stand pro it works like a charm.

The Chair is heavy (about 25 kg) and well builded. Way better than my 16 year old IKEA Chair... :D

This was the best solution for me, I could find, because I don´t have enough space for a racing-seat (...and I didn´t had any permission from my wife) ;)

Upvote 0
I struggle a lot with my chair. I just bought a desk and chair in Jan and figured in March I am gonna sim race so replacing them has no wife approval. The issue is pedals too close, I cannot move the pedal set away back in due to the desk having low horizontal struts. So the other choice would be to raise the chair as it is currently in the lowest position and have the wheels removed so it is very low, but if I raise it my knees are scraping the keyboard tray. The only solution would be raising the whole table which I would like as it it is too low anyway, screen everything but don't know how to raise this kind of legless table. Any ideas?

108941e59dc38257131e685a1e9367d4.jpg

Upvote 0
I bought a DXRacer 1 last week:
2_Robas_Lund_62501SR4_DX_Racer1_Chefsessel_mit_Armlehnen_Gestell-Nylon_78_x_124-134_x_52_Stoffbezug_schwarzrot.jpg

Removed the castors and installed some gliders. In combination with the wheel-stand pro it works like a charm.

The Chair is heavy (about 25 kg) and well builded. Way better than my 16 year old IKEA Chair... :D

This was the best solution for me, I could find, because I don´t have enough space for a racing-seat (...and I didn´t had any permission from my wife) ;)
Can you suggest which gliders you used? I presume bottom is rubber. Thanks.

Upvote 0
That is a good workable solution and I am sure one of the 101 other ways to skin a rolling chair;). The internet is a great place to share ideas, just wish some "folks" would follow suit instead of calling the lawyers at every step, just imagine the tec we could achieve if this was not the case. Long live opensource, one idea leads to another and another ........Ah I am rambling on.
I just used this stuff glued to the bottom of 3 aerosol can lids (any lid will do as long as you can squeeze your chair castor into it), and popped them onto the 3 rear castors, works great chair doesn't move @ all when racing, i know, i know, i'm a cheapskate :D

Upvote 0
You lot are lucky. I don't even have a chair. I have to just pretend I'm sitting down. Aches after a while though.

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back