AC Modding Questions Thread

I like splitting tracks up into several FBX files, even just for ease of updates. For my main WIP right now I've got separate FBX files for the terrain/visual road/curbs/walls, physics meshes, trees, tire walls, pit crew and timing objects, crowd objects, and buildings. Makes checking new edits in game easier since loading up in the editor is a LOT faster. Also forces me to keep my scene organized in Blender so I can easily enable/disable all items from a single FBX at once without missing anything important.

On the original question, I second Stereo's comment of making sure all scale transforms are applied. Rotation and location shouldn't cause any issues for most objects on tracks, but scale definitely can, especially if anything has a negative scale factor. You could also double check to make sure normals are correct on all objects by using the face orientation view option in Blender. I usually work without the backside clipping enabled so I can see everything, but comes with the downside that I usually forget to check normal direction before exporting. I often wind up having objects that are inside out as a result, so a quick check is helpful!

I'm wondering if maybe you have an inverted normal duplicate over top of some of the darker objects? It could be invisible from a normal viewing angle but still be casting a shadow maybe?
Thanks for the tip! I also like to break up the FBX files for the same reason, but this one has grown as I've slowly troubleshooted my way toward something resembling a race track.

I did a deep dive into the normals and what happened was that they were pointing the right way, but they were calculated inside out so the shadowed bottoms of the objects were on top. I was able to turn them around and get them to look as intended again. I think this happened when I recalculated the insides and outsides.

Thank you everyone for the insight!

Up close, my tree shadows are perfect...
Screenshot_rss_formula_rss_4_slipangle_blackhawkfarms_4-9-123-23-19-3.jpg

...but from a distance, they turn to blocks:
Screenshot_rss_formula_rss_4_slipangle_blackhawkfarms_4-9-123-23-19-43.jpg

Any idea why? My ksAlphaRef is set to 0.5 for those tree materials, and they're using ksTree.

p.s. Anyone know where to find some good shrubbery or very tall grass textures to fill in between the trees?

Up close, my tree shadows are perfect...View attachment 698723
...but from a distance, they turn to blocks:View attachment 698724
Any idea why? My ksAlphaRef is set to 0.5 for those tree materials, and they're using ksTree.

p.s. Anyone know where to find some good shrubbery or very tall grass textures to fill in between the trees?
that looks like the mipmap settings.
It's sort of an automated LOD for textures. The further you get, the smaller mipmaps are loaded
1696666305395.png

so perhaps the alpha is getting lost on a certain mipmap level.
Try to export with other settings ?

they talk about it here : https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ld-your-first-track-basic-guide.11239/page-63

that looks like the mipmap settings.
It's sort of an automated LOD for textures. The further you get, the smaller mipmaps are loaded
View attachment 699157

so perhaps the alpha is getting lost on a certain mipmap level.
Try to export with other settings ?

they talk about it here : https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...ld-your-first-track-basic-guide.11239/page-63
With the Mip LOD Bias set to 5 for inspection, it appears that some trees go to 0.25ish alpha but some don't. I get these same results using Bicubic and Adaptive (Sharp) settings in Paint.net export.
1696718295225.png

It seems like the shadows are just using the last, smallest mipmap above a certain distance. At a medium distance, they show shadows halfway inbetween good and solid alpha.
Screenshot_chinook_mk2_slipangle_blackhawkfarms_7-9-123-18-39-30.jpg

Maybe it's a CSP setting?

EDIT: It's probably something in CSP, with Smart Shadows off the shadows disappear instead of turning to blocks above that distance.

EDIT 2: Altering this value in CSP Smart Shadows helps a lot:
1696718988050.png

With values in "Distances for exterior" of 10, 100, 700, the shadows transition to blocks a lot farther out.

Last edited:
help

I am having trouble because the rim size changes when I select "Align using data".

I have already seen tires.ini and suspension.ini.

Google Translation.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 2.png
    2.png
    313.8 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
help

I am having trouble because the rim size changes when I select "Align using data".

I have already seen tires.ini and suspension.ini.
It's a problem with the model, someone scaled the wheels the wrong way and AC ignores that change. "WHEEL_LF" type objects cannot be scaled anything other than 1, it has to be done to the meshes instead.

Last edited:
Hello!

I'm trying get into making custom tracks and stuff like that, was wondering if there were any assets already created for use? Things like curbs, tire barriers, textures, that sort of thing. Anything free of charge would be preferred, but I wouldn't mind something payed if there's not many decent options. Of course, the proper credits will be given.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, let me start by saying that I have never had problems with the old PC, I also converted cars. when I import to 3dsimed everything is fine, I modify the car save in fbx I open the car in kseditor except in kn5. once you open the game the wheels don't move and the animation of the wheels disappears. I've never had this problem. It happens to me even if I don't modify the car just by converting 3dsimed - kseditor - assetto corsa the animation disappears I'm going crazy I ask for your help. when I save and convert contet manager to generate lods in the game it tells me hi-res cockpit in missing

Last edited:
Hi guys, let me start by saying that I have never had problems with the old PC, I also converted cars. when I import to 3dsimed everything is fine, I modify the car save in fbx I open the car in kseditor except in kn5. once you open the game the wheels don't move and the animation of the wheels disappears. I've never had this problem. It happens to me even if I don't modify the car just by converting 3dsimed - kseditor - assetto corsa the animation disappears I'm going crazy I ask for your help. when I save and convert contet manager to generate lods in the game it tells me hi-res cockpit in missing
3dsimed removes/collapses the hierarchy of the wheels, cockpit, etc. and without those, the car will not work correctly in game. Best to use blender in this case

Yeah I can strongly recommend using Blender, and make sure you overwrite the extracted .fbx in the car folder rather than saving elsewhere, as overwriting means Blender will use the .ini in that folder for that kind of stuff as well as what textures are assigned to what and how etc.

Good evening guys, I need some help. I replaced the tires and wheels of a car but in the race during the replay from a distance the wheels become small (like original) as soon as the car magically approaches loaded and they become large as per the modification. what am I doing wrong?it seems that new objects load them late

Last edited:
Yeah I can strongly recommend using Blender, and make sure you overwrite the extracted .fbx in the car folder rather than saving elsewhere, as overwriting means Blender will use the .ini in that folder for that kind of stuff as well as what textures are assigned to what and how etc.
my kseditor was corrupt

Good evening guys, I need some help. I replaced the tires and wheels of a car but in the race during the replay from a distance the wheels become small (like original) as soon as the car magically approaches loaded and they become large as per the modification. what am I doing wrong?it seems that new objects load them late
Could be a different LOD which is still based on the original wheel model?

Hello everyone, I am not modder, but I like to put a hand in some things to modify them to my liking, The problem is that I do not find where the parameters/images are to modify the app of the Tyre Temp. I only found an image that represents a single tire in content/gui/tyresapp

The app of tyres look like this:
tyre ac.jpg

And I wanna to have this:
tyre ac_pret.jpg

Any help to hide/delete all that information that does not interest me?
Thanks very much in advance

Built in apps like that one aren't modifiable, unlike user apps, they're written in C++ and compiled with the game. So the folder only has the app icon.

Built in apps like that one aren't modifiable, unlike user apps, they're written in C++ and compiled with the game. So the folder only has the app icon.
Thank you for your answer, I found some tricks on the web to modify/cancel some apps or popup (like car_damage or things like that they bother) for that reason I asked here where there are people who know and can confirm that I cannot and avoid a headache.
Thankyou so much and sry for my appalling english.

Hello everyone.
If I change the size of the wheels in 3DSIMED when I open it in Assetto it is seen with the modification of size in the showroom but when I go on track or active "Align Using Data" in CM the wheels are seen with the size that the mod had Originally... What file do I have to modify in the "Data" folder to get the new size on track? I have touched everything but nothing affects. Thanks.

Hello everyone.
If I change the size of the wheels in 3DSIMED when I open it in Assetto it is seen with the modification of size in the showroom but when I go on track or active "Align Using Data" in CM the wheels are seen with the size that the mod had Originally... What file do I have to modify in the "Data" folder to get the new size on track? I have touched everything but nothing affects. Thanks.
You have to edit the size of the actual mesh, if you change WHEEL_LF (etc. names RF LR RR) then the game will undo that.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back