AC Modding Questions Thread

Hello everyone,

I would like to use the uv map of driver_ocolous for the driver model new_driver, because he uses the old suit and not the 2016 diff suit. The background is that I made a custom head for the new_driver that also works. With the driver ocolous I can change the head in blender, but I can't get the link to the rigging. Unfortunately, transfer uv map does not work because the two have different faces on the body. maybe someone has a solution.

Thank you

Here's the tut I've just wrote:

HOW TO SET UP A SKINNED MESH in ASSETTO CORSA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5f5ZhOWxHVBTmpTTGZzSk9sWmM

Feel free to share it anywhere, I don't mind, as long as it gets to anyone interested.

@Ben O'Bro is not possible to make a detailed H animation, would be really cool but AC doesn't allow that.
The closest is to use the SHIFT_HD dummy that simulates the H pattern and vibration, but it doesn't allows any animation. Check out my S800 has that shifter mode.
Thanks for the tutorial, but the link is now unavailable, could you share it somewhere else please? I'm having issues, when I change the shader into ksSkinned mesh, the mesh just disappeaes.

Here's the tut I've just wrote:

HOW TO SET UP A SKINNED MESH in ASSETTO CORSA

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5f5ZhOWxHVBTmpTTGZzSk9sWmM

Feel free to share it anywhere, I don't mind, as long as it gets to anyone interested.

@Ben O'Bro is not possible to make a detailed H animation, would be really cool but AC doesn't allow that.
The closest is to use the SHIFT_HD dummy that simulates the H pattern and vibration, but it doesn't allows any animation. Check out my S800 has that shifter mode.
After resetting the axises it finally worked, don't need to bother you, thanks anyway dude!

Question about track modding from a guy who is a noob on the subject. How would I go about making a new layout for an existing track? Say a reverse layout for a Kunos track, or mod track. What do I need and how much work is it? I'm finding lots of tutorials about using Blender and ksEditor (trying to learn the basics of those) to make a track but using existing .kn5's seems a bit different

Last edited:
Hello everyone! I downloaded the LA Canyons mod with the VIP Platinum as well. It's the first mod I download and install, so sorry for the maybe stupid questions, but after activating everything through the content manager, including the VIP Platinum pack, I launch the practice but there's no traffic... what am I doing wrong or not understanding?

Quick question, how can I do so that my car can toggle on and off an aero part?

Like i have an F1 car, and i want like vrc to be able to show or not the nose fin ?

1688978214540.png

Hi, I'm doing an animated suspension setup for a project. The suspension works but when I run it in AC the wheels don't stop spinning whenever I steer. I noticed that in the animated suspension example given by AC it does the same thing in kseditor. Do I have to modify some data file? is there something I have to change in the fbx data file? I set up the hierarchy just like the example and put the DIR_LEFTSTEERARM, LEFTSTEERARM, DIR_RIGHTSTEERARM and RIGHSTEERARM.

The car runs, so I'm pretty sure it's a visual aspect. As in even though the wheels are flopping all over the place the car changes direction as it should with animated suspensions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if you ever resolved this, do you mean your wheels spinning around their center axis in terms of 'wheel blur' or they are spinning sideways when steering and the car is inoperable?

No matter the number of linkages if you're origin and attachment points are set and the car.ini has correct values it should be fine.

Here my insane attempt at a 5-link multilink rear suspension for a E31 BMW a few years back:

38XSFU6.png

I put a lot of effort in creating an AI line, cameras and pacenotes for several layouts of my rally stage. Only to then remember that I modeled everything in 3ds max 1000m lower than it should be, to make placing objects easier. So now my AI line is 1000m under the ground.

Is there any way to translate all the points of an AI line?

I cannot find how to open/edit a fast_lane.ai file, if I could make a text or csv file from it I could easily use python to do the job.

Edit:
found this blender script that should do the trick. https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/blender-addon-import-export-ai-csv-ini-files.35230/

Last edited:
Hey guys, i've made some skins for a couple of cars in GIMP, albeit not very complex . However, I want to add different 'features' so-to-speak (different paint finishes, materials like carbon fiber, painting lollipops, pitboxes, crew gear, etc...). I'm quite new to the skinning process, and i'm wondering how to add these features to new skins and such- especially the paint finishes and materials in GIMP. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! I can show my liveries if needs be. The two liveries i have made as passion projects are linked below. :)

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 42
  • preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 44
Hey guys, i've made some skins for a couple of cars in GIMP, albeit not very complex . However, I want to add different 'features' so-to-speak (different paint finishes, materials like carbon fiber, painting lollipops, pitboxes, crew gear, etc...). I'm quite new to the skinning process, and i'm wondering how to add these features to new skins and such- especially the paint finishes and materials in GIMP. Any help would be appreciated, thank you! I can show my liveries if needs be. The two liveries i have made as passion projects are linked below. :)

The majority of paint finishes are handled with the "MAP" file. It's an additional image texture (usually whatever the main livery texture name is, with "_map" or "_maps" added before the file type. (LIVERY_maps.dds) for example.

Most image textures have 3 channels. Each channel is a greyscale from 0 to 255. The three standard channels are Red, Green, and Blue. In normal images the three are combined to give your final colour output. For the maps texture, each channel controls a different thing. I can't recall exactly off the top of my head, but I believe the breakdown is:
RED - Specular Intensity
GREEN - Reflection Sharpness
BLUE - Reflection Intensity

The default KUNOS content is usually just the AO bake, except the green channel is full white. The result is that in the darker areas the reflection and specular intensity are reduced so there's less reflection in those areas, but the reflection sharpness stays constant.

In the metal_detail.dds file, the alpha channel controls specular falloff (0 is no falloff for crisp specular reflection, 255 is full falloff for a very diffused, blurry, specular reflection). This is used to give a sort of metallic flake effect, where the base paint has little to no falloff (black) and the flakes have a large falloff (white) so when you view the car surfaces at glancing angles the flakes get a nice highlight.

If you're just looking to change up the glossiness and make some areas matte, playing with those two textures will get you there. If you're looking for a really nice metallic or more of a chrome finish, you'll need to play with something a little more advanced. There's ways to do it via CSP with its custom paint finish options, or you could use a CSP Extension in the skin to make that skin use Stereo's custom fresnel shader which unlocks potential for chrome and metallic finishes as well. The shader is packaged with CSP, and the MAPS channels work a little differently with it. It also adds support for the MAPS alpha channel for another effect.

If you're looking for a nice candy metallic or chrome effect let me know and I'll go through the rundown of how to implement that on a per-skin basis using CSP extensions.

Last edited:
The majority of paint finishes are handled with the "MAP" file. It's an additional image texture (usually whatever the main livery texture name is, with "_map" or "_maps" added before the file type. (LIVERY_maps.dds) for example.

Most image textures have 3 channels. Each channel is a greyscale from 0 to 255. The three standard channels are Red, Green, and Blue. In normal images the three are combined to give your final colour output. For the maps texture, each channel controls a different thing. I can't recall exactly off the top of my head, but I believe the breakdown is:
RED - Specular Intensity
GREEN - Reflection Sharpness
BLUE - Reflection Intensity

The default KUNOS content is usually just the AO bake, except the green channel is full white. The result is that in the darker areas the reflection and specular intensity are reduced so there's less reflection in those areas, but the reflection sharpness stays constant.

In the metal_detail.dds file, the alpha channel controls specular falloff (0 is no falloff for crisp specular reflection, 255 is full falloff for a very diffused, blurry, specular reflection). This is used to give a sort of metallic flake effect, where the base paint has little to no falloff (black) and the flakes have a large falloff (white) so when you view the car surfaces at glancing angles the flakes get a nice highlight.

If you're just looking to change up the glossiness and make some areas matte, playing with those two textures will get you there. If you're looking for a really nice metallic or more of a chrome finish, you'll need to play with something a little more advanced. There's ways to do it via CSP with its custom paint finish options, or you could use a CSP Extension in the skin to make that skin use Stereo's custom fresnel shader which unlocks potential for chrome and metallic finishes as well. The shader is packaged with CSP, and the MAPS channels work a little differently with it. It also adds support for the MAPS alpha channel for another effect.

If you're looking for a nice candy metallic or chrome effect let me know and I'll go through the rundown of how to implement that on a per-skin basis using CSP extensions.
Cheers Ryno! Just wondering, how would a standard livery file be lain out in terms of layers? I only ever use one layer (that being the skin itself) within the livery file, as i merge all of my layers down. Ignore the mipmaps of course. As well as this, my file structure within the skin folder doesn't 'feel' right if that makes any sense, as if something's missing. Last thing- i'm considering making a chrome livery quite soon, so having that rundown would be really helpful, as would having the rundown for the candy metallic finish. :)
1690862355976.png

1690862499699.png

Cheers Ryno! Just wondering, how would a standard livery file be lain out in terms of layers? I only ever use one layer (that being the skin itself) within the livery file, as i merge all of my layers down. Ignore the mipmaps of course. As well as this, my file structure within the skin folder doesn't 'feel' right if that makes any sense, as if something's missing. Last thing- i'm considering making a chrome livery quite soon, so having that rundown would be really helpful, as would having the rundown for the candy metallic finish. :)

I don't know how GIMP handles everything as I'm a Photoshop user, but in general I never merge anything (except when exporting the DDS, as the plugin sometimes doesn't save the alpha if the image isn't flattened). I always leave all of my layers separated and intact so I can easily make edits in the future.

There's no right or wrong way to do it—in the end, if the final texture is what you want it to be, then you've done it "right." ;) Personally, working in PS, I do everything with vector shapes and vector smart objects. I'll group all of the same colour shapes into one layer, but they're still all separate vector objects that I can go back and tweak easily.
Untitled-1.png

Here's a simple example for one of the liveries I did for Stereo's Chinook. For the main diffuse texture I usually start with a colour layer that is the base colour of the car, then I have as many vector shape colour layers as necessary for the rest of the main livery elements. Depending on how many of those layers I have I might group them all into a folder to keep the layer palette tidy and easy to use. Above that I'll have a folder with all of the logos (as separate vector smart objects whenever possible). On more complex liveries I'll have each different brand in its own subfolder within the logos folder again for organization. As I organize them that way I don't bother with naming the individual logo layers, usually. (Side note for any PS users who aren't aware, if you have a complex layer palette and can't find a layer you need to edit, hold control and right click on it in the main texture. A little popup will come up showing you every single layer, visible, that occupies that pixel. It'll even give you the hierarchy of folders, too)

Above all of that I have the AO layer(s) (set to 'multiply'), and if necessary any other elements above the AO that I don't want affected by it (sometimes I want a neon yellow accent for example, I'll usually put that above the AO layer so it stays nice and bright. I may have a second AO only affecting those bits, but with reduced opacity, depending on where on the car it is).

At the top I have a wireframe layer; I prefer setting this up as a white wireframe on black background with the layer set to "difference" as then the wire is always visible regardless the colours you're working with. This obviously gets hidden when exporting the DDS file.

Previously I had separate PSD files for MAPS textures, but now I just make a copy of the entire layer stack and put it into a new MAPS folder at the bottom of the layer palette. Same for the alpha. I make the necessary adjustments to those copies as needed and export to their files when ready.

———

As I mentioned, though, there is no right or wrong, there's just personal preference. At the end of the day, the end result is the important part, and how you get there is entirely up to you. This is just how I work. After 20 years of working with parametric CAD systems, I prefer a non-destructive workflow whenever possible. I never merge all the layers in my PSDs (to maintain future editability) and I don't work with raster logos unless absolutely 100% necessary (read: I can't find a vector version and it's too complicated a logo to bother recreating it on my own). Simpler logos I will always create a vector version if I can't find one.

I'll try to get a quick rundown of the CSP Extension setup for using Stereo's shader on a skin, and a bit about how to manipulate the finishes with the MAPS texture for it since it operates a little bit differently to the default Kunos shader. I prefer that shader over CSP's other custom ones as I just find it easier to work with and get the result I want. Others may prefer the other CSP setups and someone might chime in with how to make them work well. I've never successfully gotten them to work on a complex livery, only solid colours. Feel free to DM me if I forget! I'm likely to forget...

[EDIT] Screw it, I'll do it now. To put Stereo's fresnel shader to use on a single skin without editing the car itself, you need to leverage CSP's extension configs. You'll need a shader replacement entry for every material you're looking to edit. Most of the time it'll just be the main paint shader, but some cars have a couple different ones (some parts might all using the same diffuse texture, but some pieces will have a metal detail and others a carbon fiber detail, for instance. These are different materials that will both need to be edited).

To do it, inside your skin folder you need an "ext_config.ini" file. In that file, you need to enter the shader replacement setup. Here's the basic code:
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
ACTIVE = 1
DESCRIPTION = paint
MATERIALS = scn_bodypaint
SHADER = stPerPixelMultiMap_specular
RESOURCE_0 = txSpecular
RESOURCE_FILE_01 = scn_body_spec.dds
PROP_0 = fresnelMaxLevel, 4

The header in square brackets tells CSP what the section is doing.
Active is... self explanatory.
Description I believe doesn't change anything, but it's helpful as a label inside the .ini file to find what you're looking for if you have a very complex .ini file, which some cars do if they're piling on a lot of different CSP effects
Materials tells CSP which materials to replace. You'll have to find the name of the material with CM's custom showroom—just click on the car part with the material you want and find the name in the right panel, it should be the second item from the top
Shader tells CSP which shader to replace the default one with, in this case we need stPerPixelMultiMap_specular
Resource_0 is the first texture slot that is being changed. If you have multiple slots you're changing, the number goes up for each slot, but start at 0, not 1. In this case we're specifying that we're changing the texture for the txSpecular slot. We have to specify this one because it's not present in the default shader, so there is no texture for it already.
Resource_File_0 is the texture name for the newly added texture. As we're adding a specular texture, I've added a _spec suffix to the file name for identification. Ultimately you can name it whatever you want, you just have to make sure this entry and the file name of the new texture match.
Prop_0 is the first shader property being edited, in this case we're increasing the fresnelMaxLevel to 4 from whatever it was by default. This is necessary for the chrome effects.

Alright, that's the ext_config handled. Now for how to use the shader itself.

First up, when using this shader you do not need to include an AO layer in your main diffuse. For bright liveries it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but if you're working on something darker this is great because you'll get colour banding in the shadows on dark colours due to the low bit-depth of the image, which is compounded by the DDS compression. Instead, the AO can be used in the alpha channel of the MAPS file (which isn't used at all in the default shader). For the three main channels, Green still controls reflection sharpness as it always has, as well as reflection sharpness. The Red channel controls the reflection colour. White is white reflection, black is specular and reflections are coloured with the newly added specular texture (good for chrome), and mid grey is reflections are white, but specular reflections are the colour of the spec file (good for metallic). The Blue channel controls the amount of reflection, but operates a little differently than default. The default effects are compressed into the 0-127 range (black to medium grey, which gives you no reflection to the normal amount of paint reflection). Above 127 you start add stronger fresnel reflection, initially good for some metallic close to the 127 range. As you get closer to full white (255) it becomes a chrome effect.

Feel free to play around with it and get a feel for how things work. The main thing is just mentally separating what it looks like from what it's actually doing, because the maps texture is a utility, not a final output, if that makes sense. The colours in it manipulate the surface finishes rather than represent what it actually looks like. Your final MAP output may look like a clown has exploded on your screen.

Depending on the way GIMP handles channels, this might be harder to do in GIMP. In PS I can easily paste a greyscale directly into each specific channel, but GIMP may not have that ability. In that case you'll have to choose your R,G and B values for each element together.

That's all a lot of obtuse information. It'll start to make more sense when you take it step by step and work through it on a livery. I've saved a small text file to remind me what does what, as I don't do nearly as much skinning as I used to so I forget it all every time I go to make a new skin with the functionality.

Last edited:
I don't know how GIMP handles everything as I'm a Photoshop user, but in general I never merge anything (except when exporting the DDS, as the plugin sometimes doesn't save the alpha if the image isn't flattened). I always leave all of my layers separated and intact so I can easily make edits in the future.

There's no right or wrong way to do it—in the end, if the final texture is what you want it to be, then you've done it "right." ;) Personally, working in PS, I do everything with vector shapes and vector smart objects. I'll group all of the same colour shapes into one layer, but they're still all separate vector objects that I can go back and tweak easily.
View attachment 684525

Here's a simple example for one of the liveries I did for Stereo's Chinook. For the main diffuse texture I usually start with a colour layer that is the base colour of the car, then I have as many vector shape colour layers as necessary for the rest of the main livery elements. Depending on how many of those layers I have I might group them all into a folder to keep the layer palette tidy and easy to use. Above that I'll have a folder with all of the logos (as separate vector smart objects whenever possible). On more complex liveries I'll have each different brand in its own subfolder within the logos folder again for organization. As I organize them that way I don't bother with naming the individual logo layers, usually. (Side note for any PS users who aren't aware, if you have a complex layer palette and can't find a layer you need to edit, hold control and right click on it in the main texture. A little popup will come up showing you every single layer, visible, that occupies that pixel. It'll even give you the hierarchy of folders, too)

Above all of that I have the AO layer(s) (set to 'multiply'), and if necessary any other elements above the AO that I don't want affected by it (sometimes I want a neon yellow accent for example, I'll usually put that above the AO layer so it stays nice and bright. I may have a second AO only affecting those bits, but with reduced opacity, depending on where on the car it is).

At the top I have a wireframe layer; I prefer setting this up as a white wireframe on black background with the layer set to "difference" as then the wire is always visible regardless the colours you're working with. This obviously gets hidden when exporting the DDS file.

Previously I had separate PSD files for MAPS textures, but now I just make a copy of the entire layer stack and put it into a new MAPS folder at the bottom of the layer palette. Same for the alpha. I make the necessary adjustments to those copies as needed and export to their files when ready.

———

As I mentioned, though, there is no right or wrong, there's just personal preference. At the end of the day, the end result is the important part, and how you get there is entirely up to you. This is just how I work. After 20 years of working with parametric CAD systems, I prefer a non-destructive workflow whenever possible. I never merge all the layers in my PSDs (to maintain future editability) and I don't work with raster logos unless absolutely 100% necessary (read: I can't find a vector version and it's too complicated a logo to bother recreating it on my own). Simpler logos I will always create a vector version if I can't find one.

I'll try to get a quick rundown of the CSP Extension setup for using Stereo's shader on a skin, and a bit about how to manipulate the finishes with the MAPS texture for it since it operates a little bit differently to the default Kunos shader. I prefer that shader over CSP's other custom ones as I just find it easier to work with and get the result I want. Others may prefer the other CSP setups and someone might chime in with how to make them work well. I've never successfully gotten them to work on a complex livery, only solid colours. Feel free to DM me if I forget! I'm likely to forget...

View attachment 684525

———

[EDIT] Screw it, I'll do it now. To put Stereo's fresnel shader to use on a single skin without editing the car itself, you need to leverage CSP's extension configs. You'll need a shader replacement entry for every material you're looking to edit. Most of the time it'll just be the main paint shader, but some cars have a couple different ones (some parts might all using the same diffuse texture, but some pieces will have a metal detail and others a carbon fiber detail, for instance. These are different materials that will both need to be edited).

To do it, inside your skin folder you need an "ext_config.ini" file. In that file, you need to enter the shader replacement setup. Here's the basic code:
Code:
[SHADER_REPLACEMENT_...]
ACTIVE = 1
DESCRIPTION = paint
MATERIALS = scn_bodypaint
SHADER = stPerPixelMultiMap_specular
RESOURCE_0 = txSpecular
RESOURCE_FILE_01 = scn_body_spec.dds
PROP_0 = fresnelMaxLevel, 4

The header in square brackets tells CSP what the section is doing.
Active is... self explanatory.
Description I believe doesn't change anything, but it's helpful as a label inside the .ini file to find what you're looking for if you have a very complex .ini file, which some cars do if they're piling on a lot of different CSP effects
Materials tells CSP which materials to replace. You'll have to find the name of the material with CM's custom showroom—just click on the car part with the material you want and find the name in the right panel, it should be the second item from the top
Shader tells CSP which shader to replace the default one with, in this case we need stPerPixelMultiMap_specular
Resource_0 is the first texture slot that is being changed. If you have multiple slots you're changing, the number goes up for each slot, but start at 0, not 1. In this case we're specifying that we're changing the texture for the txSpecular slot. We have to specify this one because it's not present in the default shader, so there is no texture for it already.
Resource_File_0 is the texture name for the newly added texture. As we're adding a specular texture, I've added a _spec suffix to the file name for identification. Ultimately you can name it whatever you want, you just have to make sure this entry and the file name of the new texture match.
Prop_0 is the first shader property being edited, in this case we're increasing the fresnelMaxLevel to 4 from whatever it was by default. This is necessary for the chrome effects.

Alright, that's the ext_config handled. Now for how to use the shader itself.

First up, when using this shader you do not need to include an AO layer in your main diffuse. For bright liveries it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, but if you're working on something darker this is great because you'll get colour banding in the shadows on dark colours due to the low bit-depth of the image, which is compounded by the DDS compression. Instead, the AO can be used in the alpha channel of the MAPS file (which isn't used at all in the default shader). For the three main channels, Green still controls reflection sharpness as it always has, as well as reflection sharpness. The Red channel controls the reflection colour. White is white reflection, black is specular and reflections are coloured with the newly added specular texture (good for chrome), and mid grey is reflections are white, but specular reflections are the colour of the spec file (good for metallic). The Blue channel controls the amount of reflection, but operates a little differently than default. The default effects are compressed into the 0-127 range (black to medium grey, which gives you no reflection to the normal amount of paint reflection). Above 127 you start add stronger fresnel reflection, initially good for some metallic close to the 127 range. As you get closer to full white (255) it becomes a chrome effect.

Feel free to play around with it and get a feel for how things work. The main thing is just mentally separating what it looks like from what it's actually doing, because the maps texture is a utility, not a final output, if that makes sense. The colours in it manipulate the surface finishes rather than represent what it actually looks like. Your final MAP output may look like a clown has exploded on your screen.

Depending on the way GIMP handles channels, this might be harder to do in GIMP. In PS I can easily paste a greyscale directly into each specific channel, but GIMP may not have that ability. In that case you'll have to choose your R,G and B values for each element together.

That's all a lot of obtuse information. It'll start to make more sense when you take it step by step and work through it on a livery. I've saved a small text file to remind me what does what, as I don't do nearly as much skinning as I used to so I forget it all every time I go to make a new skin with the functionality.
can't thank you enough! I'll make sure to message if anything scratches my head, but hopefully i can get it done well!

Hi guys, I am trying to make some trees.
They look like this in game, which I think is OK, probably a little too down towards the bottom...
Screenshot 2023-08-03 225540 (Small).png

But when I open up the track file in Blender, the top section of the trees have the top polys split at opposing angles on each face, like below. The top section has one sides face split one way, and the other side is split opposite.

Will this cause any weird rendering issues or should it be ok?
In Blender my model is just 'squares' and not split into polys, if I split them before hand, will that force them to split the right way??

Hope that make sense.

Screenshot 2023-08-04 081917.png

Last edited:

Latest News

To join the OverTake Racing Club races I want them to be: (multiple choice)

• Free to access

Votes: 35 87.5%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Better structured racing club forum

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • More use of default game content

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • More use of fixed setups

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • No 3rd party registration pages

Votes: 14 35.0%