3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

ok I have the your audi scene loaded.

How Do I get rid of your skin material. I think it's first sphere in the Materials editor.?

Is it then a case of choosing an "empty" material sphere then going through the steps above from post #4?

this is so frustrating LOL

render-prob-1.jpg

Ok once you have loaded the scene Press "M" for materials and for the Audi naviagate to Sphere 1.
pic1.jpg

Once there scroll down to color and click the box marked this will navigate to the default body texture, this is what you want to replace with your texture before rendering.

pic2.jpg

OK Cool. :D I now have a rather patchy render but that's only because I have not gone through the rest of the steps above. So will it be the same with windows? point it to the right sphere go through the same steps above, or are windows different. p.s I don't have time to try it now or I would just experiment a bit more :whistle:

OK first render shot below. A bit jaggy around the edges and the fin. Is this because of the size limitation of Rio? (1024 x also front wing looks overexposed, very harsh lighting. (Not gonna get much more time before the W/E to play around with this Grrrr)

first-render.jpg

Ok the easiest way to alter how the render is looking is by altering the renndering options-

See pic one for first step:
Pic1.jpg

Once you have the render window option there are a few things you can alter to alter the quality of the render:
Pic2.jpg

If you still think this is overally bright you could turn off "Global" or Skylight" or both your choice, I prefer as is.

• Matt Alpeter

Sandis hopefully I understand: if you want to put that picture in the background, you have to put it in the environment map box. Go to render -> environment and put the map into the empty box

• Matt Alpeter

sorry it took so long.

Step 1:

Go to Rendering, then Environment

Step 2:

Click on "None"
step2.jpg

Step 3:

Double-click Bitmap
step3.jpg

Step 4:

Open your picture
step4.jpg

Step 5:

Make sure "Use Map" is checked and the box is your picture
step5.jpg

i to want to give skinning a go.
so ive got photo shop.
and now ive try to install 3dmax but it wont.
it says folder dus not any sd max or VIZ in it.
what am i doing wrong??

Im guessing your getting this error when your installing Brazil. If so you need to point the install to the full directory that 3D max is installed and depending on (A) Operating sytem (B) 3D max this will either be C:/ programfiles or Programfiles (x86)

problem whith skinning and 3dmax!!

ive got a skin mad just to see howe every thing works.
ive used FS and gimp to make a skin.
and i must say gimp is more simpler to use!!

but now to the point got my skin loaded in 3dmax and it dos not look good.
black stripes and the collors dont line up!?
can some one give an solution voor the problem?

Attachments

• skinning.jpg
    skinning.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 312

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back