3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

• Sol Leung

Excellent how-to. Thanks alots for taking your time to put this one up. :thumb:

I always wanted to try it, but just dunno how, now i've abit more knowledge on how it's done! Thanks again Jarrod. :thumb:
I'll give it a try on rendering myself. :becky:

Any intrest how to make renders like this in 3dsMax?

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 290
Are there any good alternatives to 3ds Max. It's quite expensive

Well it depends on your view of good. There is right hemisphere's Deep Exploration

http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/download.php

Ok sorry for the ambiguity, what I mean is are there any full programs out there (open source, freeware etc..) that can make these renders. I would like to have a crack at rendering one of the skins I have ready, but like I said above some of the 3ds Max programs are quite expensive and at this early stage of my skinning "interest" I can't really justify the expence of a full blown package, and don't know anyone that has this type of sofisticated software.

• Mehmet Arslan

Hey Jarrod, tnx for the biiiiig explanation how it all works :), i too always wondered how to do that but i can see u have to do alot, because the page didnt want to end when i was scrolling down :).

I think i will save this somewhere.

• Aldo Villamil

thank you very much for sharing, it has help me tremendously....... ill will post my first render soon

• Patrick Wanst

I have tried to work with the Aston Martin DBR9 and can't get de skin on the car :S

don't know what i'm doing wrong. I don't see missing fils but it only selected the windows or something

please help

• Deanowat1

thanks alot for the tutorial, very informative. I can now begin to render all the skins i have and make them look much better than the screen shots

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 220 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.8%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%