3D MAX & You

Jarrod Crossley

Rubbin Racer!
So your looking at producing your own renders, You've got one of the many version of 3d max and your wondering whats next.

Well here is some of the ins and outs :

First off you'll need Spluterfish's Brazil you can download the demo vresion known as Rio from there site here:- SplutterFish, LLC: Home

Next you'll need the 3D max car scenes for Race07 and those are availble via:- Portal - raceskinning you'll have to register there.

So now you have evrything you need to get started. All you need to do now is load up a scene and go right?

Wrong due to the fact these scenes where made with a differant version of MAX and a full version of Brazil, Youlll have to make some alterations to get it to look the way you want.

So you load your scene and it looks like this:

Terrible isn't it well first off we need to set up are renderer so on the top menu bar find "Rendering" and from the drop down find "Render Setup" click on that and you'll get a menu:

Now due to the fact we are using Rio we are restricted to image size (1024x511 max) so for now select 640x480. Now on the same menu scroll down tp were it says "Assign Renderer" This is where we are going to be telling it to use Brazil Rio. So click on the three little dots:

and from the drop down menu select Brazil:

• rapha76

then I think you have shifted a snap in your template, and you did not see, tries the scene with another skin​

• rapha76

excuse me, but you ecri badly your sentences, I do not understand English, so I use a translator, but it does not reflect poorly written words.
So I do not understand your sentences​

ive got a skin mad just to see howe every thing works.
ive used FS and gimp to make a skin.
and i must say gimp is more simpler to use!!

but now to the point got my skin loaded in 3dmax and it dos not look good.
black stripes and the collors dont line up!?
can some one give an solution voor the problem?

There is nothing wrong with the model the actual fault is sorry to say so your lines. There is an easy solution to this it requires another program and some extra files but ..

Ok extra program :

Right hemispheres Deep exploration Demo - http://www.righthemisphere.com/support/downloads/download.php

Xfiles for said program - http://forum.racesimcentral.com/showthread.php?t=327746

The advantage of using this program over 3D Max is you can edit on the fly. Another words you point the base texture to the one your working on and every time you hit save the model in Deep will change to the texture you have just saved.

So is a lot easier to line up those lines and curves and once your happy you can do your final render in 3D max.

Ahh ok,

Deep work slightly differantly, All you need to do for now would be download the demo and grab your self the xfiles.

Install Deep as per the install and extract the xfiles to a folder. once thats all done open deep:

open.jpg

Point it to your xfiles folder:

locate.jpg

load the xfile of your choice:

load.jpg

Select the body by double left clicking on it:

body.jpg

Select the body testure again and again double click and browse for your texture file (PSD):

browse.jpg

once loaded any changes you make to the PSD after saving will show up in deep:

loaded.jpg

This makes lining uo lines and curves a doddle and also saves rendering time.

Man, I've never seen a tutorial like this, so complete!!! Thenks very much!!!

I know a little about 3ds, but with this compatibility problem, I would never be able to do a render without this tut.

BTW, how can I do to show 2 different and independent views in the same render window? cloning a view and copying in the same window?

Thanks in advance.

Not fully sure I understand your question, So Ill go with answering what I think your asking. If you are trying to make an image so that is shows both a front end and rear end model within one window the best option would be to clone "Copy" the original object.

In simple terms - Highlight and select all of the model you wish to clone, Goto to edit clone and from pop up select copy. With the move tool now selected move the selected model to the left or right your choice and you will notice you now have two models in one window. If your after an differant angle whilst the model is stilll seleted use the rotate tool and rotate the model to the desired angle.

Now when you hit render you will have two model in one window at differant angles.

If this makes no sence drop me a PM and Ill throw up some images of how to.

Thanks a lot, Jarrod. That is exactly what I wanted, but... Theres always a but...

But when I tried to do this with a rfactor scene 2 weeks ago, the copied model didnt show up at all, not even in the window I did the copy (before hitting render). Is it possible that the scene has some kind of copy protection?

Thanks again.

Just in case, I've always found images easier to work from:

So load your scene and then select your model:

select.jpg

Once your model is selected head over to edit and then clone:

editClone.jpg

from the clone popup select copy:

Copy.jpg

Whilst the model is select go to the move tool and move the model to your desired location:

move_tool.jpg

Once your happy with its location its time to give it the old spin so select rotate tool and rotate model to desired angle:

Rotate.jpg

Once your happy with angle and loaction hit render and wolla your done:

final.jpg

Hi Jarrod, I'm having a very hard time getting started on your thorough and inspiring tutorial as my version of 3dMax7 will not open any of the render scenes. It gives me a list of missing dlls with the option to open or cancel. I select open and it tells me that the file open failed. Do you have any idea how I can get round this problem?

Thanx in advance
Snowy

Edit: OK never mind I have been reliably informed that 7 will never open these files, no matter what one does, or hopes. :(

Jarrod,
I just tested the cloning thing and it went 100% fine.
But what I need to do to make my rendering look sweet like yours?? Mine is like all squared on the edges and yours is so beautiful.. Why?

EDIT:
Just for information, I got the scene you uploaded to RD downloads área... I'm gonna post a picture later...

Hi Jarrod, I'm having a very hard time getting started on your thorough and inspiring tutorial as my version of 3dMax7 will not open any of the render scenes. It gives me a list of missing dlls with the option to open or cancel. I select open and it tells me that the file open failed. Do you have any idea how I can get round this problem?

Thanx in advance
Snowy

Edit: OK never mind I have been reliably informed that 7 will never open these files, no matter what one does, or hopes. :(

As long as you have the correct version of brazil rio for your version of Max you should be able to hit ok even if you get an error, The scene should show but the car model will be black.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 327 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 224 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 218 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 166 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 283 13.4%