2018 Italian Grand Prix: Vettel vs Hamilton - Who Was at Fault?

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Italian Grand Prix Lap 1 Crash.jpg

Vettel loses chance of win at Monza in an lap 1 crash with Hamilton, contact deemed a 'racing incident' - who do you think was at fault?

The Italian Grand Prix could have been so much more if not for an unfortunate opening lap accident between Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel, demoting the Ferrari man to the rear of the field and in need of a new front wing, a handicap the German ace manfully overcame to salvage a disappointed fourth place in the final standings.

With Hamilton escaping significant damage in his Mercedes, going on to win the Grand Prix in fine style, Monza 2018 would be a big blow for the title hopes of Ferrari and Vettel this season.

Having reviewed the accident and deeming it a 'Racing Incident' no penalties would be handed out during the Grand Prix to either driver, something that would inspire former World Champion Nico Rosberg to speak up and firmly place the blame at the foot of Vettel's door... but what do you think?

Vettel or Hamilton to blame, or just a racing incident? Discuss...

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Italian Grand Prix Lap 1 Crash 2.jpg
Italian Grand Prix Lap 1 Crash 3.jpg

So who do you think was to blame at Monza? Should Vettel have backed out, could Hamilton have left more room? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
I have no sympathy for hamilton at all, but in this case I would charge Vettel for it. But I think he spun even without hamilton as he seemed to have lost traction already.

Sebastian's fault. I think the position was lost and he understeered into Lewis. Judging it a racing incident was the right call though from the stewards.

Anyone that says Hamilton is wrong. He held his position as far outside as possible and gave Vettel plenty of room inside. Vettel simply thought he could force Hamilton onto the curb and it didn't work out. Racing incident, slightly edging toward Vettel.

MVP goes to Bottas, of course. He held back Raikkonen as long as possible to get Hamilton closer after pitting.

Just hand the championship to Mercedes already and get it over with. Should be no surprise that every championship has been won by Mercedes since the start of the 1.6L V6 era. Just like RedBull's dominance in the last 4 seasons of the V8 era. Snooze fest.

Definitely a racing incidents.
Vettel is always too aggressive in the first corners and he's doing all it's possible to lose the WDC and Hamilton is clean deserving it.

A racing incident.
SV never expected LH to 'mug' him on the outside of what is usually 'contact corner' in F1.
Once he realized it was happening, he tried to open the steering but it was all a bit too late and on cold tires he just under-steered into Lewis.
Once again, I take exception with the rudeness of some of the Italian fans in the crowd.
While it may be difficult to see the driver you support lose, this 'booing' of drivers I find a bit classless.
The Championship is not over by any means.
Ferrari have the fastest car in the field. It is also a better chassis than Mercedes at most circuits.
Last I looked, seven races still equals 175 driver points on offer.

Last edited:
How-to loose a WDC again.

It seems that if Vettel does not have a car that dominates the rest, it becomes very dirty, and impatient.

After today's stupid mistake (another mistake) from Vettel i feel pity Arrivabene were'nt take a risk to sign Alonso for next season :) Guess Nando could show Seb a couple of tricks :laugh:

Won't be a surprise for me, if they sign Leclerc instead and he beat Seb like Ric in 2014 :p

View attachment 267943
Vettel loses chance of win at Monza in an lap 1 crash with Hamilton, contact deemed a 'racing incident' - who do you think was at fault?

The Italian Grand Prix could have been so much more if not for an unfortunate opening lap accident between Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel, demoting the Ferrari man to the rear of the field and in need of a new front wing, a handicap the German ace manfully overcame to salvage a disappointed fourth place in the final standings.

With Hamilton escaping significant damage in his Mercedes, going on to win the Grand Prix in fine style, Monza 2018 would be a big blow for the title hopes of Ferrari and Vettel this season.

Having reviewed the accident and deeming it a 'Racing Incident' no penalties would be handed out during the Grand Prix to either driver, something that would inspire former World Champion Nico Rosberg to speak up and firmly place the blame at the foot of Vettel's door... but what do you think?

Vettel or Hamilton to blame, or just a racing incident? Discuss...

For more from the world of Grand Prix racing, don't forget to check out the Formula One forum here at RaceDepartment and get involved in the conversation.

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

View attachment 267941 View attachment 267942
So who do you think was to blame at Monza? Should Vettel have backed out, could Hamilton have left more room? Let us know in the comments section below!
It usually is Sebastian's fault. It seems that he makes a lot of mistakes

I don't like Hamilton, but Vettel shot himself in the foot here. If he loses the championship again cause of this, I wonder if he actually deserves to stay at Ferrari. Might as well put Raikkonen-Leclerc next year then, and let Vettel fight it out in a Sauber.

Lewis left loads of room, Vettle was understeering into him but he didn't want to come of the pedal and lose the position, tried to bully him and came off much worse 100% vettle at fault i have no doubt. The stewards should have probably given him a time penalty aswell. Lucky guy. Felt a bit sorry for Kimi ganged up on my the mercs but was a nice strategy what a wing man Hamilton has.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.