2017 Indy 500 Discussion Thread

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Indy 500.jpg

The 101st running of the legendary Indy 500 begins on Sunday, welcome to the central location to discuss the great American race here at RaceDepartment!

With Spanish superstar Fernando Alonso due to make his much anticipated race debut at Indianapolis on Sunday, former F1 driver and IndyCar favourite Juan Pablo Montoya making his IndyCar comeback and American youngster Alex Rossi looking to take on the US old guard once again, the 2017 running of the Indy 500 looks set to be an incredible motor race and potentially one of the most exciting 500's in recent memory.

With the practice and qualifying sessions all complete, attention now turns to the main event itself, beginning tomorrow when the cars line up on the legendary Brickyard for 500 miles of flat out competition at speeds in excess of 230 mph.

Join in the discussion here and leave your thoughts on the upcoming Indy 500 race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

Go Fernando!

Indy 500 3.jpg
Indy 500 4.jpg
Indy 500 5.jpg
Indy 500 2.jpg

Gopher04

Premium
Really looking forward to this, even more so with Alonso on track, it's hard to judge where he will finish, we've seen what he can do on his own, but in in the race is quite different, I just hope he's finishes.

samcar304

Premium
As always I am very hyped for this year's 500. Being a massive Indycar fan and an F1 fan it's great to see the two worlds collide outside of the YouTube comment section.

Who do I want to win?
Scott Dixon, Will Power, James Hinchcliffe, Joseph Newgarden, Marco Andretti and of course Alonso.

Who do I think will win?
Scott Dixon. The guy is the best driver in the Indycar series over the past 10 years. I would say on his day Will Power is probably the quickest out there but over a season, Scott's consistency for solid points finishes and strong oval results always makes him a championship contender. Really hope he goes all the way this year to a 5th title.

Been trying to find a decent stream of this. I was hoping to purchase one day (or week) of BT Sport ESPN but they don't offer it. It's actually impossible for me to get BT Sport in my house without changing internet, phone or TV providers. What a terrible system.

Any stream appreciated. I've done my best to watch this the most honest way possible, but BT won't let me.

4 8 15 16 23 42 108

Only the 5th-most famous race driver from Kerpen
Been trying to find a decent stream of this. I was hoping to purchase one day (or week) of BT Sport ESPN but they don't offer it. It's actually impossible for me to get BT Sport in my house without changing internet, phone or TV providers. What a terrible system.

Any stream appreciated. I've done my best to watch this the most honest way possible, but BT won't let me.
My motorsports newspaper says www.dazn.com will stream it. No idea what that is.

DAZN is currently available in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Japan.

Haven't heard of it before. Sounds good, but not in the UK unfortunately.

The race will be on ABC at 12 noon EST. 5pm BST. Many times, you can find a live stream on You Tube, or you can pay as little as $15 for a month's try at internet TV, like Sling or DirecTV. However, IndyCar/ABC is nowhere near draconian as F1 when it comes to policing streams, so it's highly likely that you can find one. IndyCar will have a You Tube replay the following week. And there are a number of live internet TV aggregators, like Kodi. @Peter Hooper said, at one point, I think, that you could get these races live, for free, in the U.K., but it sounds like that's not the case anymore.

The race will be on ABC at 12 noon EST. 5pm BST. Many times, you can find a live stream on You Tube, or you can pay as little as $15 for a month's try at internet TV, like Sling or DirecTV. However, IndyCar/ABC is nowhere near draconian as F1 when it comes to policing streams, so it's highly likely that you can find one. IndyCar will have a You Tube replay the following week. And there are a number of live internet TV aggregators, like Kodi. @Peter Hooper said, at one point, I think, that you could get these races live, for free, in the U.K., but it sounds like that's not the case anymore.
Not any longer I'm afraid. I get it as part of my internet subscription with BT but anyone not with them has to pay for access to BT Sport.

There has consistently been streams available, there will be one for the 500 as well almost guaranteed.

Go JPM! Hope he gets his 3rd, so he'll have to come back for #4 next year. :)

(neither likely though)

Yeah I had to get the 1 month BT subscription ad an extortionate rate!! It's like I was being punished for using virgin and sky, literally every other combo was cheaper....
Can't wait

i googled and found something called dazn (they have a first-moth-is-free offer)

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.5%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 37 8.6%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%
  • €3001-5000