2017 Indy 500 Discussion Thread

The whole events before the race with military, a priest, the anthem etc reminded me somehow of a satire rather than reality. However, the racing is good and that's why I'm watching.

Yeah all of that stuff is pretty much sacrosanct here in the states. And since this event is on Memorial Day weekend its cranked up to 11.

It shows why Team America was a popular film. And not that unrealistic.

Good racing though and that's what's important.

Maybe to the casual fan but any serious fan would know that Alonso is a great driver and capable of exactly what he is doing. Hamilton's statement comes off a bit salty, maybe he is annoyed at all the Alonso/Indycar hype.
That's exactly the point. Alonso compared to those drivers with a lot of experience in indycar is still able to compete at a high level.
If you have a better car setup then Experience is not the main factor. I'm sure Hamilton knows that after botching the setup on saturday...
Agreed, but at the same time Alonso showed that even without a good car he is able to be competitive. So Hamilton's comment is still true. I'm not saying that indycar drivers are bad, what i'm saying is that as a matter of fact, it looks bad for them.

That's exactly the point. Alonso compared to those drivers with a lot of experience in indycar is still able to compete at a high level.

Except that Hamilton didn't say that as a compliment. More of an attempt to discredit what Alonso was trying to accomplish.

Except that Hamilton didn't say that as a compliment. More of an attempt to discredit what Alonso was trying to accomplish.
The reason why he said it doesn't really matter. We all know Hamilton is who he is, personally i don't like him. What he said was unkind but true

This difference is that I'm saying its no surprise that Alonso is doing well because he is talented. Hamilton is suggesting he is doing well because Indycar drivers are not talented.

This difference is that I'm saying its no surprise that Alonso is doing well because he is talented. Hamilton is suggesting he is doing well because Indycar drivers are not talented.
Well to be honest, i have the same impression. Take the best driver from indycar and put him in an F1 car. I doubt we would see something similar to what Alonso is doing. This is just my impression of course.

one Honda engine has just blown up , let us hope Alonso's can hold together better. he is really going for the win , showing them how to drive has so many F1 drivers have in the past.

I agree, its obvious F1 is harder to drive, more demanding. Which is why I feel Alonso getting acquainted to an Indycar was probably something he could do blindfolded.

IndyCar is almost a spec series with only different engines. Put the guy is a top tier team with Andretti and you wonder why he is competitive?

IndyCar is almost a spec series with only different engines. Put the guy is a top tier team with Andretti and you wonder why he is competitive?

And different aero specs. Not just the "Honda" and "Chevy". But each single team (down to each single car) decide themselves what parts of the aero they actually want to have on the car etc. So you can spot differences on the cars from the same teams.

And different aero specs. Not just the "Honda" and "Chevy". But each single team (down to each single car) decide themselves what parts of the aero they actually want to have on the car etc. So you can spot differences on the cars from the same teams.
Still very little difference overall. To compare it to F1 with different cars is a bit pointless IMO. The whole point of a series like this is to have good competition between as many cars as possible. Something F1 has never been able to deliver. Then again that had never really been the point of F1.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 290 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 198 10.4%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 196 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 143 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 252 13.3%