2012 HRT F112

Pedro-de-la-Rosa_2777917.jpg

Is part of HRT's problem that their exhaust gases are being angled upwards instead of downwards?
I don't see the sense in this exhaust layout

Theory: HRT were pretty late building the car, and probably have the lowest budget of all the teams, so since the ruling seems to be unclear everywhere, they decided to play it ultra-safe so they don't have to lose money and time redesigning it.

Edit: I'll explain better.

What I mean is, when they designed the car, they weren't sure if angling the exhaust downwards would be safe or not. So they decided to angle it upwards, which would be 100% safe and wouldn't force them to spend extra money on a new exhaust system. When you're on a really tight budget, the risk/benefit/cost ratios probably means you go for the safest designs.

Alternatively, when all the other teams started developing downwards exhausts, they didn't have money/time to develop them again, so they stuck with their old "upwards" design.

Either way, it's probably a budget thing. Bigger teams usually can take more risks since it doesn't cost them too much to have 3 or 4 designs already planned.

But surely they employee aerodynamisists?
It doesn't take Adrian Newey to think of these things.

No, but it takes money to make many different solutions. And before the season, it was thought that the only way they could make use of the exhaust was on the rear wing itself. So, I understand why HRT went this way. They can't afford to make something they have to redo fast.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.