2012 HRT F112

Some HRT news.

Toni Cuquerella becomes HRT technical director

HRT engineer Toni Cuquerella has been promoted to take over the role of technical director at the Spanish team. The position has been vacant since Geoff Willis left for Mercedes back in September 2011.

“The role of technical director implies a great amount of responsibility in terms of coordination and decision making,” said Cuquerella. “That’s why I’m very proud that the management considers me to be the most adequate person to carry it out. Until now there was a lot of dispersion from within the technical team and that had its repercussions in the concept and quality of the F112.

“My priority is to solve the current car’s problems to then develop it to its maximum potential, whilst also unifying and expanding the technical department, but I’m confident that we have a good work base and a clear direction to advance and have a good project for the future.”

HRT team principal Luis Perez-Sala added: "Toni has been a key figure in the team since its inception and, above all, in this new stage. The transition from the previous project to this one hasn’t been easy and a lot of work has been carried out that without vital figures such as him wouldn’t have been possible.

“The position of technical director was vacant and the development of the F112 was carried out at the technical office in Munich. But now, with the car already on the track, it was important to take control and count on someone influential at the head of the technical office. And because of his experience, judgment and knowledge, Toni’s profile fitted in perfectly.”

After missing the pre-season tests, HRT failed to qualify at the opening Grand Prix of 2012 in Melbourne. They did, however, race in Malaysia, with drivers Pedro de la Rosa and Narain Karthikeyan finishing the Sepang event in 21st and 22nd places respectively.

Source: http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2012/4/13185.html

Smaller track though? Hate to be the dampener of spirits, but it is true

Should've written that it isn't in time, but in percentage :) The record was Chandhok from 2010, beaten by De la Rosa in Monaco 2012 :)

Or just stopped moving backwards :D
Well, they stopped moving backwards, and moved a bit forward! :D

Lowest difference from pole time (2010): +5,14 %
Lowest difference from pole time (2011): +6.26 %
Lowest difference from pole time (2012): +5,11 %

The HRT is 1 entire second faster then last year while Caterham is 0.5 seconds faster then last year while Red Bull is 0.8 seconds slower then last year so it seems they have imrpoved a LOT without really standing out. :)

I think they will stay for Cosworth until the new turbo engines come in 2014

Sounds like a logycal move to save money and develop the chassis for now, and try to make the big jump in two years with new engine that will stay for years.

Oh, we got an insider! :rolleyes:

It could also make sense to change engine provider in 2013 to get used to working with the new guys, instead of going into 2014 with new engine+new engine crew. With the rule changes in 2014 probably the whole car should be rebuilt, so most of the work in 2013 will be lost.

Then again, in 2014 it's impossible to know which will be the best engines. I sure hope they can get a good one.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back