2012 Ferrari F12

dms1204ma28.jpg

Fernando-Alonso-Ferrari-Formel-1-Test-Barcelona-4-Maerz-2012-fotoshowImage-9a0309fe-574953.jpg

dms1204ma66.jpg

Yeap, Ferrari seems to be in trouble from the start of the season.

Ferrari doubtful of a podium finish in Australia

Ferrari technical boss Pat Fry has conceded that the team are unlikely to finish on the podium at the season-opening Australian Grand Prix later this month. After wrapping up the final winter test in Barcelona on Sunday, Fry admitted the new F2012 had failed to meet expectations and that they must work very hard back in Maranello to extract more performance from the car before it’s too late.

“In the hunt for the podium in Melbourne? At the moment I’d say no,” Fry told Ferrari’s official website. “We are disappointed with the performance level seen at these tests and I think we have a lot of work ahead of us.

“In testing, you can only make assumptions regarding what fuel loads the other cars are running and it will only be in Melbourne that we will get a clear answer as to whether we have to be very disappointed or just a little, how far we really are off the front runners and consequently how much ground we have to make up to get there.”

Drivers Fernando Alonso and Felipe Massa have laboured at the three pre-season tests to find a consistent level of performance from the F2012, but have topped the timesheets just once. With the new car full of radical solutions, including innovative front pull-rod suspension, both have found it a difficult charge to master.

Midway through testing Ferrari also introduced a new exhaust position to boost rear downforce but, according to Fry, the solution appears to have hindered rather than helped progress.

“Clearly the decision relating to the exhausts that we took last week meant we took a few steps backwards in terms of development,” Fry continued. “How much? Difficult to say right now. We have been working on the current configuration for really just two weeks. We found a bit of performance but there’s no doubt that the original solution is the one that gives the most.

“I think we can claw back, at best, at least 25 percent of the downforce we had last year, even if we need to see what that costs us in fuel consumption and corner turn-in stability. At the moment it’s still causing us problems, but it’s the most obvious way to try and improve performance and increase aerodynamic downforce. We will continue to work on it, as indeed will all the others.”

With just 10 days to go before the Australian race weekend gets underway, Ferrari have returned to their Maranello factory to continue work. But with their rivals doing just the same, Fry doesn’t hold out much hope of noticeable improvement before Melbourne and is instead waiting for May’s multi-team test at Mugello - four races into the season - to enact greater change.

“We must improve in general the level of aerodynamic downforce on the car, but we are well aware that the pace of development is more or less the same for everyone,” he concluded. “We will have a few updates for Melbourne, basically aimed at readapting the car to the exhaust configuration we have chosen to run for at least the first four races of the season. (But) the Mugello test will be useful to try new parts, because it is always difficult to introduce major developments during a race weekend.”

The 2012 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix takes place on March 16-18.

Very interesting post by a member at F1T, it´s just his thoughts on it at the bottom but the image is interesting nonetheless.

AnAhQIcCQAAtu8-.jpg

Seems Ferrari at some point been using realy high tyre pressure. Thats Fernando Alonso (FA) tyre setup for a stint.

1.7 bar is quite high (I believe recomended its 1- 1.2)
Some people aims this means about 12-15% less grip and about 30ºC less in tyres.

If they have been using this tyre pressure for tests, it could explain why the car looks so nervous and has high degradation on tyres.
Ferrari could be playing with everyone to make other teams believe they are in "bad shape" when they are not...

And some more, still rumors though,
Gazzetta suggests that Ferrari redesigned the sidepods and went through another crash test.

Not just that but they have changed the monocoque as well!

the test's data reveals that the ferrari sidepod design doesn't permit the passage of the air flow required to have a sufficient downforce to the rear. Tombazis has already re-designed the sidepods but to change them ferrari needs to change the chassis and so get to pass another crash test.

the F2012B will be ready maybe in Barhein, it's quite impossible to see the new solution in Australia.

The FIA permits a new crash test because the rule that imposes to have only one chassis in a season does not exist for this season... in fact it seems that other three teams ask to the FIA to do another crash test. It could be for the F-Duct solution to the rear that distinguishes Mercedes (and maybe RBR). This F-Duct works with air passage in the monocoque, this explains why the team interested in introducing the F-D have to pass another crash test.

However Ferrari denies it...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/17285060

Maybe they are playing games right now, the temps and pressures are extremely weird.
That high pressures yet so low temps is a bit weird.

if Ferrari are calling a bluff then they did a very god job at hiding their true performance. That slo-mo corner shot is not suprising to see the rear end let go a bit. 1 is teh nature of the corner and 2 if those tyre pressure and temps are right then it explains itself why it does that. I reallly dont care who gets the win as long as is not Vettel. I just got done watcing the FIA F1 review from 2000 to 2004 and i just got bored by 2002.....FIA needs to be more strict on rules, especially dealing with Newey, or just bring back 2007-2008 car specs...which were much more exciting than blowing gases like a hack.

edit: wastn Pat Fry part of the 07 -08 Mclaren? if he was then remember how Mclaren lacked slight pace at the beginnign of 07 but by Monaco they were unleashed with upgrades...

if im wrong then disregard the edit.

I think that they are just dissappointed in not producing the best car on the grid but that they will still be in the Top3 like they usually are.

2011 was a terrible year and i have a hard time believing it will be worse then that.

Further quotes now from Haug regarding the Ferrari,

Mercedes motorsport boss Norbert Haug also downplayed the team's chances for this year, and suggested rival Ferrari is not struggling as much as people think.

There is 6 cars ahead of us, very strong and have to say that I think Ferrari is not struggling like this is described right now like now, this is my judgement, this is my feeling.

I think some of the features make it look fat in some viewing angles..other than that is a better looking car than most step nosed cars....Mclaren looked gorgeous on P1 and P2

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back