2009 World Touring Car Championship

Tarquini and Muller fit to race.

Yvan Muller and Gabriele Tarquini have been declared fit to take part in tomorrow’s championship-deciding races. Both the SEAT sport drivers were involved in a severe crash in qualifying on Friday. After tests at a local hospital and a night’s rest the pair were seen by the FIA doctors Jean-Jacques Isserman and Jacques Tropenat this afternoon and given the all clear.
Gabriele Tarquini stated: “Physically I feel a bit stiff but fortunately we have had one day to recover so I hope that tomorrow I wake up a little bit better than now. I was optimistic for another pole but ended up in the hospital so you know never know. I couldn’t have avoided the accident. It was the track conditions and Yvan stopped just after the cloud of cement dust and I couldn’t avoid him. I was on full throttle and hit him at 130kph. The car was destroyed so I thought it was impossible to make the races but the mechanics said not to worry and they repaired it.”
Yvan Muller said: “I am able to race, I feel well but for some muscular pains. I fold but I don’t break. There was doubt about my car but the team did a fantastic job. It was a lot of hours of work but they did it. I’m a bit disappointed because my lap time before the crash was fast but probably too fast! Macau is impossible to predict so I don’t like to guess what might happen tomorrow. I don’t like to gamble!”

D'Aste and Thompson cannot race
After Kirill Ladygin who destroyed his car during Friday’s free practice, the WTCC field has lost another two cars: Stefano D’Aste’s BMW and James Thompson’s LADA that were damaged beyond repair in the qualifying session after the Briton crashed into D’Aste’s stationary car.
Thompson would have not raced anyway as he is currently forced to use crutches having suffered from bruises to his feet.
“I want to thank the medical staff, because they were very efficient and professional. And I also wish to thank Stefano D’Aste, who stayed with me all the time. I appreciated it a lot especially because after the crash I momentarily lost my sight. Having Stefano with me when I was transported to the hospital was very reassuring,” said Thompson.

Has anyone actually seen any footage of the Thompson crash? pretty bad on the marshalls part for leaving the BMW there they're normally very very good at Macau with stranded cars. Anyway was just wondering because the coverage i've got on my pc goes from 19mins left to 9 mins of the session left cutting out the footage of both accidents. I wouldnt have asked if anyone had been hurt but as they didnt i am just curious to see what happened.

I haven't seen a second yet of the whole event :( This season it is so hard to find any footage on tv or on the internet. I really miss the download section on the FIA WTCC website!

So i am just as curious as you are Rob.

Only found pictures

crash-Thompson158.jpg

D Aste156.jpg

Hans

not being funny but why couldnt this go into the already present Macau WTCC thread?

Also Andre Couto should be banned from racing after ignoring them double waved yellows in race 2 absolute idiot. What else really pee's me off is the fact that Couto walked away back to his pit garage without even as much as checking if his 2 colleagues were ok and the fact that he walked away with no injuries but caused a broken collarbone for Engstler.

Now let the conspiracies come again :)

After the neutralization Tarquini was kinda mad as you could have heard on the TV, he was shouting to his crew and pointing to his car (was it about to break down?).

10 minutes later the race got abandoned and he becomes the driver champion and not Yvan Muller (driving for Chevy next year)

i dont think Gio will go to SEAT, i can see him wanting to go to Chevy and if he has any sense then he will or on the other hand it would be awesome to see him return to BMW.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.