1988 McLaren MP4/4

Cars 1988 McLaren MP4/4 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
I'm currently doing some skins for this mod, what is the name of the tyre file .dds please? The lettering needs to be yellow on the Williams, not white. Or can yu post a link to all other skinable parts including tyres?
20160310164054_1.jpg

Hi all,

This is a most awesome car; however the top speed the AI (and I myself) can achieve on even the longest straight is barely 260 km/h. Including changed gears, low aero, Turbo on max.

Certainly something is off here?

Oh btw in the VRC's 1988 mp4/4 you can really feel the power inside it trying to throw you off the track unlike the MAK Corp.

Plus when you change the aerodynamic values, the wings change visually too.

Sorry, but the VRC is less grip. Is slightly faster than a GT2 car, a car with double weight.

The engines of 1988 habe boost limited to 2.5 bar, the Honda reach 2.9 bar, cheating, but this is the most. Try to drive the 98t with 3 bar, which is something you can take with only 60% boost and you will have a car more easy to drive than this Mp4/4 by VRC.

I like the modern VRC mods, like the 2007 Mclaren and 2009 Williams. But this Mp4/4 is a strugle to drive even with soft tyres. You can see on tyre app the temperatures easily go to red, 200 celsius, and the car become very instable to drive.

The mp4/4 was famous because was a very easy car to drive, not a difficult one, like was Lotus 98t with qualification setup, 1300 hp engines. You have only 690 hp engine on Mp/4, and a very good chassis, one of the best chassis of all time on F1. And, the car is also faster than Lotus 98t on race, but the VRC mod is so slow, you have to put the car less than a 200 km/h on Proudhon on Spa to make the corner. The car have some difficults to do corners like Eau Rouge, the 98t can easily do the Eau Rouge with poor aero setting, green track setting and 100% boost, and this Mp4/4 by VRC only can do that with qualify and soft tyres (only on optimum temperatures, and because the core temperatures changes so fast, is not easy overall to drive this car). I even dont understand why people like this mod by VRC. Its a good car to drive with qualify tyres on optimum grip without tyre consumption, otherwise, very strugle to keep on track, easily lock the front tyres on brake, the brake distances are enourmous, the speed on corners are so very slow to a car with less than 600 kg. It is a car some similar to Lotus 100t drove by Piquet, a car that a driver have too many complains and too much work to do on all season. The mp4/4 was a very good car on the first test, Mclaren didnt need to work on balance of the car, it was a car that born very good. In few words, Mp4/4 was a car that any drive can drive the car and fastly adapt to the car, fastly gain confidence to put the pedal on throtle and not on oposite way.

Sorry, but the VRC is less grip. Is slightly faster than a GT2 car, a car with double weight.

The engines of 1988 habe boost limited to 2.5 bar, the Honda reach 2.9 bar, cheating, but this is the most. Try to drive the 98t with 3 bar, which is something you can take with only 60% boost and you will have a car more easy to drive than this Mp4/4 by VRC.

I like the modern VRC mods, like the 2007 Mclaren and 2009 Williams. But this Mp4/4 is a strugle to drive even with soft tyres. You can see on tyre app the temperatures easily go to red, 200 celsius, and the car become very instable to drive.

The mp4/4 was famous because was a very easy car to drive, not a difficult one, like was Lotus 98t with qualification setup, 1300 hp engines. You have only 690 hp engine on Mp/4, and a very good chassis, one of the best chassis of all time on F1. And, the car is also faster than Lotus 98t on race, but the VRC mod is so slow, you have to put the car less than a 200 km/h on Proudhon on Spa to make the corner. The car have some difficults to do corners like Eau Rouge, the 98t can easily do the Eau Rouge with poor aero setting, green track setting and 100% boost, and this Mp4/4 by VRC only can do that with qualify and soft tyres (only on optimum temperatures, and because the core temperatures changes so fast, is not easy overall to drive this car). I even dont understand why people like this mod by VRC. Its a good car to drive with qualify tyres on optimum grip without tyre consumption, otherwise, very strugle to keep on track, easily lock the front tyres on brake, the brake distances are enourmous, the speed on corners are so very slow to a car with less than 600 kg. It is a car some similar to Lotus 100t drove by Piquet, a car that a driver have too many complains and too much work to do on all season. The mp4/4 was a very good car on the first test, Mclaren didnt need to work on balance of the car, it was a car that born very good. In few words, Mp4/4 was a car that any drive can drive the car and fastly adapt to the car, fastly gain confidence to put the pedal on throtle and not on oposite way.

1988 was the first year of the phasing out of turbo engines completely. The turbos went from 1300HP to 690HP (as you say above). That huge loss in power (900HP-690HP in race trim) resulted in teams using much smaller, shallower wings than in previous seasons to lower the drag co-efficient as much as possible. If you compare the wings from 1986 (the height of the 80's turbo era) and 1988 you will see that it is obvious, visually, why the 98T is much faster around corners than the slightly more modern MP4/4.

00010___ayrton_senna___lotus_98t___paul_ricard_198_by_winfieldf1-d4v9u84.jpg

Lotus 98T

maxresdefault.jpg

Mclaren MP4/4

A chassis can be extremely good and still not produce as much downforce as an average (or even bad) chassis from a different regulation period. It's a useless comparison.

Last edited:

Show me some data or footage to prove your point please :)

Great car, but... is it me or there's absolutely no sound coming off the tires? There's no audible tire skid and you can't hear the wheels blocking even at 20km/h.

has anyone found a way to fix the external sounds...? i'd like to use this car for a race here at RD on friday, but not having sound outside of the cockpit is a little off-putting...

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back