0.8.5 Update

Testing at imola with same lineup give a slightly different result, although they are still better behaved I got hit on several occasions, not as bad as it was but still...

Edit: Just did a couple of laps with a 26 car grid of Huyaras at Monza...That was a fire spewing, wing flapping paradise of fun, both driving and all that eye candy I tell you :D:D:cool::cool:

Last edited:
@Juris - maybe try validating your game files via steam if you are getting some strange behaviour. Im actually seeing a few more frames on a full grid of Huuurraaayars.

I didnt mean to sound negative about the AI, just informative. Tbh starting at the back of a grid on 100% difficulty there is plently to worry about in front of you :D Im sure in the future releases the AI will be nipping at your heels again, rather than trying to get on your back seat :D
Cheers. I tried validating. It said there was 1 file invalid and would be reacquired but no change in fps sadly.

I'm trying using adaptive vsync to help with the stuttering as mentioned in a thread on the AC support forums but that'll take a while to know if its helped on all the tracks. I spotted a thread on framerates here a few days ago so will check that.

There was a great tutorial on settings here http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/ but its from early december and a lot has change in AC since then regards performance. I think we need a new one for the 0.85 release and others going forward. Would be a great help to those wondering if their systems can handle the game before buying imho.

Re being negative its not like you said AC was equivalent to the Mega Drive's Super Monaco gp II as some moron did on another thread. Your description is spot on.

The AI is better than they have been in a long time, actually since they were introduced months ago. However, they do still like to run into you occasionally and rather than try to back off or move away from you, they just keep on plowing into you until your car can't move anymore. Very frustrating.

Cheers. I tried validating. It said there was 1 file invalid and would be reacquired but no change in fps sadly.

I'm trying using adaptive vsync to help with the stuttering as mentioned in a thread on the AC support forums but that'll take a while to know if its helped on all the tracks. I spotted a thread on framerates here a few days ago so will check that.

There was a great tutorial on settings here http://simhqmotorsports.com/assetto-corsa-hints-tips-part-1/ but its from early december and a lot has change in AC since then regards performance. I think we need a new one for the 0.85 release and others going forward. Would be a great help to those wondering if their systems can handle the game before buying imho.

Re being negative its not like you said AC was equivalent to the Mega Drive's Super Monaco gp II as some moron did on another thread. Your description is spot on.

That thread at SimHQ is way out of date and honestly, I never was impressed with their settings even after it was released. I do not recommend it but I still see people occasionally referencing this article because its honestly the most well put together on AC, so its no wonder people stumble across it and think it must be good.

Just a tiny update on my FPS hunt. In previous builds Assetto Corsa's AF was broken. Its impact on performance was out of the ordinary compared to other sims in its class like iRacing. At least for me now on 0.85 its slightly the reverse.

AF x2 = 45fps
AF x4 = 60fps

World detail on medium also appears to give higher FPS than on minimum. Weird.

Thats on a 24 grid at 7680x1440. There are still some ghosts in the machine with AC so if anyone is experiencing poor FPS on low settings, go higher 1 step each time on each effect etc and see how you go.

Guys I really really think we need a stickied FPS optimisation thread with sections for Nvidia, ATI, single and SLI gpus imho. What are you thoughts??

Just a tiny update on my FPS hunt. In previous builds Assetto Corsa's AF was broken. Its impact on performance was out of the ordinary compared to other sims in its class like iRacing. At least for me now on 0.85 its slightly the reverse.

AF x2 = 45fps
AF x4 = 60fps

World detail on medium also appears to give higher FPS than on minimum. Weird.

Thats on a 24 grid at 7680x1440. There are still some ghosts in the machine with AC so if anyone is experiencing poor FPS on low settings, go higher 1 step each time on each effect etc and see how you go.

Guys I really really think we need a stickied FPS optimisation thread with sections for Nvidia, ATI, single and SLI gpus imho. What are you thoughts??

I've never seen any difference in framerate in AC by changing AF, I leave it at 16x as should everyone else in my opinion.

There's also a somewhat well known shadow bug for SLI users, if set to less than the max setting, it will cause SLI to stop working properly and framerates drop like a rock.

I've never seen any difference in framerate in AC by changing AF, I leave it at 16x as should everyone else in my opinion.

Thats cool if you have the power but many need to conserve what they have for playable fps.

I know a lot of us here are old hands on a good few of the bugs but many wouldn't know these things if they're only starting to get into AC now.

Thats cool if you have the power but many need to conserve what they have for playable fps.

I know a lot of us here are old hands on a good few of the bugs but many wouldn't know these things if they're only starting to get into AC now.

Yea, but I really don't think you're going to see any fps difference using 16x AF, its basically free these days with modern video cards. Its almost no impact at all over 2X or none at all.

Checking what affects my FPS using E30 M3 in the pits at Nurburgring. 5760x1200 on a GTX760 2GB.

AF:
0x 81fps (and looks pretty awful)
2x 79fps
4x 75fps spiking to 60s
8x 76fps spiking to 60s
16x 73fps with smaller spikes
It's strange what makes more or less spikes...

Anyway, starting from there,
very low shadows: 73fps
low shadows: 74fps?
medium shadows: 73fps
high shadows: 70fps

no AA: 85fps
2x AA: 74fps
4x AA: 71fps
8x AA: 57fps
1x FXAA: 76fps
2x FXAA: 73fps <-- this is the one I had with above AF tests.
3x FXAA: 68fps
4x FXAA: 68fps
5x FXAA: 64fps
6x FXAA: 63fps
I should note that at every level, FXAA doesn't look as nice as regular AA on certain objects.
4xAA, 1xFXAA: 63fps - stops some of the crawling effects 4xAA has on its own.

World detail:
minimum 75fps
low 73fps
medium 72fps
high 72fps
very high 71fps
maximum 69fps
To be honest I'm not sure what difference these make, I didn't notice anything changing. May as well leave it at maximum.
Reflections:
Static 69fps
Low, 1 face per frame: 72fps (it's higher than static???)
Low, 6 faces per frame: 65fps
Medium, 1 face per frame: 69fps
Medium, 6 faces per frame: 58fps
High, 1 face per frame: 59fps
High, 2 faces per frame: 54fps
High, 3 faces per frame: 49fps
High, 4 faces per frame: 46fps
High, 6 faces per frame: 40fps
This is one of the settings that actually has an impact on framerate. I have it at medium-1.

Mirror resolution:
None: 71fps
Normal: 71fps
Normal + high quality: 69fps
High: 70fps
High + high quality: 69fps
No reason not to max this one out really.

+ with all combined settings set to maximize fps, I get 106fps.

Reflections:
Static 69fps
This is one of the settings that actually has an impact on framerate. I have it at medium-1.

Yeah, this one in particular absolutely kills my frame rate. I run at Low and it still looks pretty decent, and I get a much higher frame rate.

Interesting findings with the Static vs Low - 1 Face per frame! ahah

No doubt that the cube map settings have the most impact on framerates, the AA settings behind that. I recommend medium resolution, 3 faces per frame, its a good compromise between performance and image quality. World detail setting can save a little performance too. Always leave shadows at their max setting though, I've seen little difference in performance between them and there's an SLI bug if you choose anything less than max shadows. Smoke is a another big performance hit, I wouldn't go above the medium setting, its just not that much better graphically for the performance hit.

FXAA is practically useless in AC, it can be very effective in other games, but I've seen very little difference in AC using it. 4x MSAAA is the the best compromise, but if you've got the graphics horsepower, its better to use Nvidia Inspector and force 4xSGSSAA and 4XMSAA, that practically eliminates all aliasing and moire patterns, but it does take a good performance hit.

Checking what affects my FPS using E30 M3 in the pits at Nurburgring. 5760x1200 on a GTX760 2GB.

AF:
2x 79fps
4x 75fps spiking to 60s
8x 76fps spiking to 60s

I should note that at every level, FXAA doesn't look as nice as regular AA on certain objects.

World detail:
minimum 75fps
low 73fps
medium 72fps
high 72fps
very high 71fps
maximum 69fps
To be honest I'm not sure what difference these make, I didn't notice anything changing. May as well leave it at maximum.
Reflections:
Static 69fps

Mirror resolution:

now put a full grid on the pits and come here again...

AF:
2x 79fps
4x 75fps spiking to 60s
8x 76fps spiking to 60s

World detail:
minimum 75fps
low 73fps
medium 72fps
high 72fps
very high 71fps
maximum 69fps
Reflections:
Static 69fps

Mirror resolution:

That's some informative and nicely set out testing there, way better than people just listing off what they get on their preferred settings on their specific rig (which seems to happen on every thread!).

Here we can see the impact of settings on a level playing field which should translate in a similar fashion for most people.

Good posting and nice that people still take the time to create a useful post, as opposed to a totally contemptible, pointless, throw-away effort as seen above.

now put a full grid on the pits and come here again...
Nothing interesting with 24 E30s at Nurburgring.
min settings: 33fps on the grid
all except 8x AA: 33fps on the grid
max settings: 16fps on the grid
None of the other settings change my framerate, I'm CPU limited until that 8xAA takes over. Which is a matter of GPU memory, I believe.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.