Season 12 and future: Platform discussion

i'll still be putting most of my efforts into race07 practise :) but i feel this would be both enjoyable and informative to us as a group.

I hope so, because you have to defend a championship title, which can be an even bigger challenge than winning it. ;) I felt a bit unhappy to see Marko leaving after winning the title, because I would've liked to see how he competed in Season 11 and I always see the champion as a benchmark for the upcoming season. So in Markos case we'll never know if we had a chance to get him by our own improvement or if he would've improved the same way and won the title again.

I hope so, because you have to defend a championship title, which can be an even bigger challenge than winning it. ;) I felt a bit unhappy to see Marko leaving after winning the title, because I would've liked to see how he competed in Season 11 and I always see the champion as a benchmark for the upcoming season. So in Markos case we'll never know if we had a chance to get him by our own improvement or if he would've improved the same way and won the title again.

dont worry reik, ill be there defending :) i must admit i was also upset to see marko leave, purely for the reason you mention, that i feel it should always be a requirement to defend your title, even if only out of respect for your opponants efforts to get you back next time, sometimes id wish you had a season off with mmg though :roflmao:

I have no experience of rf2 online racing. Are there any good rf2 practice servers open to public? It's boring to race AI's.

i cant help you here valter unfortunatly, any races ive done have been rd club races with various cars in rf2, ive actually only been on the rd servers while practising for an event, most of the time i practise against ai, i get what you mean about being boring against them but i usually up the ai level to 104% and can get a good race against them, their deffo one of the better ai's in a game ive used.

Thanks David , it is more clear now.

If you want my opinion i will suggest to do the testing during off season , first we all be fully focused on season 12 and second it is boring when we do not race end of season so at least we have something to do between seasons and might get full grid !

Regarding testing , to get better feedback on the platform i feel it is more helpful to pick max 2 good tracks and do the suggested races on them , it is easier to understand the new physics of the cars when we race more than once on the same track with the same setup etc..

All help regarding setup etc will be much appreciated for sure :thumbsup:

that would be fine with me anthony, if everyone feels the same regarding having a test during the next off season then thats whats we should do, couple of things that bothers me about i though is that our next off season might be a short one due to the problems of last season running late, obviously we dont know the dates yet but it will also be mid summer when people will either be away or unable to join us, it would also mean some purchasing the game to use for 2 tracks for a limited time then maybe the majority dont like rf2 and we need to test something else, the other thing is that if we do it next off season then really our next chance to use it in a season would be season 14.

whatever way we do this is fine by me, like i said ill be mostly concentrating on race07 anyhoo, but i do feel we would cope with having an rf2 race monthly which could then give us around 5 races before season 13.

Found a GP2 mod, it uses IFM chassis, they are very similar. Let's see how it handles, if it's IFM physics, it's gonna be like a tub sitting a pool of lard. EDIT: It means RaceON is mandatory (possibly, i need to check it first, it's grey area...remodded expansion..). Bad news out of the way, it's really good. Reminds me more F3000 than IFM. Exactly the power increase we are looking for. Noice is wonderful, it's all there and doesn't feel numb like IFM so it definitely has new physics.

Those who have RaceON: http://www.nogripracing.com/details.php?filenr=27594

Those who hasn't got it:

Seriously, it's cheap..2.99€: http://store.steampowered.com/app/8600/ click "buy" and stop resisting.

You get the latest Imola without the final chicane and updated to match it's condition better.. So we could finally use it in PrestoGP, also RaceON has Laguna Seca.. and Road America... 47 tracks in total with the complete WTCC08 official tracks. Those tracks are the best SimBin has build in to this game, period.. What are you waiting for, click, "buy".. now.. just comply, don't think, it's allright..shh, just click "buy".. :devilish::devilish::devilish:

But seriously, i get often excited (read: always) testing new mods. But this is sooo close to what i think PrestoGP needs. F3000 has 400NM, GP2 mod has 490.. If something, that is precisely at the range what we need. Downforce and brakes are massive thou.. Had to decrease under 90% to stop locking it everywhere.

Last edited:
Off-topic but does anyone remember the time when "RaceON is faster than other expansions" rumor circulated? I think i know why, the RaceON tracks use similar multi-material roads than what you saw in Kuusamo (also Spa08 has them, used differently in each) and i believe that was when those materials were updated and tweaked. The whole game became a bit easier and grippier at that point, closer to reality... There's some lovely map design details like some outside parts of the turns have small washboard (b1road) strips. There no similar stuff in earlier tracks, they are very simple and conservative. Also the time when SimBin started churning out endless expansions after acquiring some key talents, quality increased, GTL/GTR2 fanboys started to dislike the game etc. Just a brief trip to the memorylane.

its a good suggestion kennett but we really need to go with f3000 now in any case, it will be too much for all to adjust to a new mod so close to season start, it worked with f3000 because we had all drove them before, probably the best time to bring up any race07 changes would be before the last race of season 12, then at least everyone would have a full off season to adjust if we ever decide to change race07 again that is.

and i dont have raceon, but i heard you were buying me it for my birthday :)

Yup, inspecting the files and something is definitely not right, the car hits real life GP2 speeds but i'm pretty sure this will end up unrealistic in the hands of Presto setup gurus.. Tires were nicer than F3000, you can't simply push at full speed the whole time. I did some tuning and it starts to resemble something good, downforce and drag tweaked, only ~4-5% changes and it hits Monza spec speeds with definite change in characteristics. Without tuning, one could easily go with 2/2 wings and still go around Ascari without difficulties (which is a real problem in all open wheelers, one can drop downforce to a minimum and still have good grip everywhere, or put them to max with very little top speed penalty... ATM i'm testing F3000 wings on it ;)

Definitely not for season 12. It is totally possible to get this one tuned for Season 13, it's not far, FFB is nice, suspension and physics are good, that's the main bulk, rest is easy.. Only aero causes some troubles. Also undertray needs tuning, few tiny details like that. With help, i would say 3 months and it's perfectly tuned for PrestoGP. I wouldn't turn that option down, to have a custom mod.. Of course, rF2 is coming.. I think it's good to have plenty of options and this one has a possibilities. It's based on SimBin content, it solves a lot of legality issues (basically only the skins are subject to some sort of digression and recycling skins are thought as fair use..). That's been an issue for me personally, if mod is scratch made, i have to ask for permissions. If it's done modding SimBin content, things change.

But i have to say that picking up Fabio Leimers car and taking it on track feels kind a nice :) F3000 doesn't really exist, the drivers are SimBin staff/friends/testers..

Update: i've managed to update the GP2 mod to 2011 specs.

It lacked engine power, regulations have changed since 2007(the mod was done with default 605kg weight and torque scaled to fit.. The easy way out, all mods handle like a dream if you take both power and weight off.. it's inertia hack, something that marketing department loves, it makes cars easy to handle without gaining laptimes/topspeeds). Mass and inertia are now realistic and based on latest (2011) regulations and car dimensions (plus some guesstimations about centre of gravity based on different formula mods from GTR2, Race07 and rFactor, i used few mods to compare values...)

Wings are balanced just about right, if you gain top speed, you lose cornering. From three separate tracks and setup sessions, the overall downforce is a bit light in the sweet spot and causes a real driving effort on all types of corners. IMHO, this could free two tactics, with F3000 there is very little to tune the car to fit anything, really. Put more wings and top speed seems to stay intact, take some out and it still stays on the ground. Setups between races and people are frighteningly similar suggesting that there really is one setup that suits almost all tracks and driving styles.. Boring...

Tires work in the edge that tire management is done changing driving style rather than setup. F3000 tires can take such a beating that it doesn't seem to matter how you drive. These are more fragile and punishes from pushing too much. Single laps are easier to do and difference between qualy and race should increase.

Setup is tighter than F3000, drive height has more effect, skidding on the floor has more penalty but i found a setup that staid off the ground and still quite low with softer springs. It isn't an issue unless you try to go full soft+drop, the setups we use now are not IMHO realistic. It' should be also a safety issue, it is in the real life. They wouldn't check the boards if skidding wouldn't cause positive effects; we get away from that completely..

Mass correction helped immensely. The whole mod just screamed a touchup, basic physics are solid (suspension geometry etc..).

The whole engine is tuned to fit naturally aspirated 4L V8 with sophisticated electronics. It does not go past limiter but it does not shut the whole engine off-on in rapid succession like F3000 does.. It just stays flat 10k (actually, i think it stays at 9,900-10 000, @10500 engine brakes in all situations, overloading the engine past 10k, more than 5 seconds 2000RPM overrotation and it starts to fail. Going from 6th to 2nd should blow any engine.. ). Unfortunately since Race uses that stupid random engine health at race start, one can't make it really realistic unless we want to have mechanical DNFs so one can take about ten or so before it drops from 50% to 10%. Nothing a modder can do about it, random engine health is stupid and hardcoded, no way to simulate a real engine and make it work in online multiplay league.

It's about ready to be sent to volunteers, i can assure you it's fun to drive even now (between F3000 and this.. F3000 gets 8 points, this gets 9..). Tire tests can't be done alone. And David, sorry, your time needed.. Maybe three-four lap test at some point sometime in the distant future, not asking more than 30 minutes including installing. Simply cause you have spent time outside F3000 and Race07 with this sort of vehicles recently, i know your setup preferences and driving style, plus skills that can take a vehicle over the limit and reveal the truth.. Not that this doesn't apply to all but i need someone who knows his **** and is not afraid to give negative feedback ;)

Last edited:
@Kennett Ylitalo
All this stuff about the GP2 mod was at some point already discussed here, as another community did a championship with these cars after the mod got massively improved by @April Dillon

I liked this new car back then, even though it was still performance wise an absolute unreal monster which had nothing to do with GP2 even after the great improvements. I actually won that championship (lol), albeit it was a short one :D

Anyway, I have no idea why you bring new cars in that late, your season is already about to start, you should really start practicing for that :p

p.s: you see I'm still reading in the forums :ninja:

I have no experience of rf2 online racing. Are there any good rf2 practice servers open to public? It's boring to race AI's.

You could use the official ISI public servers for that.
At the top of the ISI forums-page, you can see which are open and who is on them.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 5 20.0%
  • More leagues

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Prizes

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Trophies

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 1 4.0%